The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Couple of new map mechanics

Casval_Rouge

The more the better right? Here we go.

Disclaimer, I have no idea about the lore, so if it doesn't fit the faction or whatever, I won't know when designing these. Also these designs are to occur only on the right faction, and to put the player into making choices, or force into tough situations that no other current objectives allows. They are meant to make fighting that certain faction harder. Grineer are tougher to fight solo or in good cover, Moa when in large numbers is a lot tougher, infestations is just too easy when you have a very fast sword atm.

1.Fire and Ice. The reduce shield and burning ship effect can trigger during a mission. Simple in concept, not too sure on the coding part though. Nevertheless, it just adds a twist to missions.

2. Disarm the bomb. When the Grineer sees that they no long have the numbers to defend against the Tenno, they imporvise time bombs in the ship by overloading certain ship systems in hope to kill the Tenno in desperation. This should only trigger when the main objective is still to be met, so as to give insentive to disarm it instead of just running to extraction. The number of "bombs" should also be equal to the amount of Tenno on board and placed on seperate locations. The idea is to split them up to give Grineer a bigger chance. The "bombs" will detonate after the duration runs out, but it can be postpone by hacking terminals across the ship. Reason for that is if one teammate fails, the rest of the team still has a chance of recovery, to avoid flame wars in public games.

3. Corpus trap. When the Tenno reaches a certain room, all the doors locks down (as usual), but this time, Corpus continue to spawn Moa to surround the Tennos and pin them down. The unlock cannot be done from the terminal inside the room, and so Tenno must survive until the girl (whatever her name was) unlocks it from her side. Also the windows are broken. So you can still hack to close the blinds. The idea is to still give a different objective to one of the player to hack the terminal when surrounded, and an immediate threat to the team, while the Moa begins to spawn.

4. Infestation infest. The Infestation mutates a new breed of vile gas that fills the entire ship up. While the Tenno's system is capable of preventing permanent damage, it still affects the vision, and body of the Tennos. Causing periodic vision distortions, and slower melee swing speed. The idea is to make shooting infestations harder, and also make meleeing swarms of runners and chargers a lot harder as well.

5. These might be the droids you are looking for. There are a couple of droids located on the ship that holds information about the Grineer, this is a secondary objective. The mechanics is that only one of them holds the information, and to locate the real one, Tenno must find the well guarded enigneers and interogate them by choking them (press Use). Once one of them spill his guts, All but the right marker will disappear from the minimap. Alternatively, you can just go to each and capture all of the droids, if you just happned to walk past one or want to avoid the entrenched defense surrounding the enigneers The idea is to have a secondary objectives that has 2 different ways to complete and also entirely different to the current existing objectives.

Edited by Casval_Rouge

Fire and Ice is probably really easy to code. I've been learning XNA with C# so I have some insight on how they may have done it. It's probably a randomly activated function. And when it's triggered it just makes certian obsticals spawn in the world at scripted points in each room. Ice is much the same way. But the way i'd handle that would be more of a super chilled or super heated atmosphere, that is to say, it's so cold that if you touch the ice you take damage, or it's so hot your shields are damaged, or maybe heal slower.

I've heard of this "dissarm the bomb" tactic a number of times, I like the idea, the devs need to revamp the map system to make it work.

Corpus trap. Agreed all accept for the windows, and make it set to a timer or some sort of objective ("There are special corpus that are blocking my transmitions, take them out")

Infestation infest... Not so much... I would rather see less environmental traps and more enemy traps. If it were more of an "infestation fest" where there were TONS of them, I'm more for that.

these might be the droids you are looking for. Well... Again, map revamp. And interogation right now seems to be "Bwahahaha, I hold my hand over you, now scream!" But I do like the idea of objective with multiple outcomes. I hope they take a good look at it later on.

nice thinking if i may say...also spice up the sabotage missions with an overload wave after destroying the reactor when running to extraction on timed evacs .... maybe even add explosions and ship shakeing....random decompressions.... mid escape rout changes....elevator shaft dives small things like that

Fire and Ice is probably really easy to code. I've been learning XNA with C# so I have some insight on how they may have done it. It's probably a randomly activated function. And when it's triggered it just makes certian obsticals spawn in the world at scripted points in each room. Ice is much the same way. But the way i'd handle that would be more of a super chilled or super heated atmosphere, that is to say, it's so cold that if you touch the ice you take damage, or it's so hot your shields are damaged, or maybe heal slower.

I've heard of this "dissarm the bomb" tactic a number of times, I like the idea, the devs need to revamp the map system to make it work.

Corpus trap. Agreed all accept for the windows, and make it set to a timer or some sort of objective ("There are special corpus that are blocking my transmitions, take them out")

Infestation infest... Not so much... I would rather see less environmental traps and more enemy traps. If it were more of an "infestation fest" where there were TONS of them, I'm more for that.

these might be the droids you are looking for. Well... Again, map revamp. And interogation right now seems to be "Bwahahaha, I hold my hand over you, now scream!" But I do like the idea of objective with multiple outcomes. I hope they take a good look at it later on.

The possiblities are limitless of course, one of the thing I tried to avoid was things that require too much time, and if possible reuse assets we already have. I know it is not as cool, but I was being realistic. The whole choking by pressing E (by that I mean the use key) is one of them, should be a pretty simple animation. It is either that or smacking them around like in Capture missions, but I think choking is cooler, I thought the Star Wars reference would be fun. Corpus Trap would have been a bit too much like a run of the mill hold off, so thats why I added the windows breaking, just to distract and cause a little bit of panic to the less experienced players. But alternative objective like the Corpus Jammer, I agree that is a better suggestion, so thank you. Infestation infest is where I tried to avoid just adding more units on the screen, we don't know how the engine will handle that, and I think hindering the player is better than throwing more things at them.

nice thinking if i may say...also spice up the sabotage missions with an overload wave after destroying the reactor when running to extraction on timed evacs .... maybe even add explosions and ship shakeing....random decompressions.... mid escape rout changes....elevator shaft dives small things like that

I don't think the current map system supports multiple routes. it is fairly linear atm. But yes, that would be very cool.

Seems like alot of fun, hope to see something like this down the line

But 1. is already in the game though

Yes but I mean during a mission, especially during invasions. Corpus invades the Grineer ship and broke the cyrogenerator or whatever and now the temperature drops to dangerous level, etc. The whole point is to change the look and atmosphere mid mission.

Edited by Casval_Rouge