Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Thread About Mods And Defence Missions

Ezard

We've all been there - wave 5 reward: Streamline or Continuity  some other rare mod

Wave 30 reward - Point Strike, Flechette, etc

I'm suggesting that it might be a good idea if, as you get to higher and higher waves, the chance of you getting a common mod (from drops from enemies as well as end-of-5-waves-rewards) decreases, and the chance of rare mods increases

This way, the really good players would be able to get the rare mods they want more easily, BUT they would still have to put in a fair bit of time to get them (and probably fail a few times along to way too)

Just a suggestion to make it slightly easier to get the rare mods (although I acknowledge that that sound kinda like an oxymoron :P)

We've all been there - wave 5 reward: Streamline or Continuity  some other rare mod

Wave 30 reward - Point Strike, Flechette, etc

I'm suggesting that it might be a good idea if, as you get to higher and higher waves, the chance of you getting a common mod (from drops from enemies as well as end-of-5-waves-rewards) decreases, and the chance of rare mods increases

This way, the really good players would be able to get the rare mods they want more easily, BUT they would still have to put in a fair bit of time to get them (and probably fail a few times along to way too)

Just a suggestion to make it slightly easier to get the rare mods (although I acknowledge that that sound kinda like an oxymoron :P)

Oh god please. I got a Cryo rounds on round 5, and on 25 I got Loot radar ;_;

I've noticed things like that too... for rounds 5-15 everytime it was the same hellfire >.>

What might also be nice is you get to keep every mod you've earned from previous waves.

Edited by unmog

Hellfire anyone?

Oh god I have so many of them...

I've noticed things like that too... for rounds 5-15 everytime it was the same hellfire >.>

What might also be nice is you get to keep every mod you've earned from previous waves.

Yeah this'd be a good idea - so you don't have to quit as soon as you get a decent mod

Same situation here. Lotus telling us that we will be "rewarded" for our efforts is just a bluff. If we continue to fight just for bragging rights, its fine, otherwise if we want mods, is much better to redo the mission again.

But, thinking from other direction, I think keeping reward level same for any level of waves is a deliberate decision. Think of it, if they add a rule that, you get a guaranteed rare mod at, say after wave 15, then everyone will start doing till wave 15. New players will find it difficult at first, but soon there will be guides all over the internet on how to beat defense missions till wave 15. Its just like hard end game bosses in other MMOs. They remain "hard" only first few encounters. After that initial period, everyone gets to know what their abilities are and when they will do it. They bring special items to fight that boss, spec (re-spec) specifically for that boss, etc.

When game gets popular enough, this also leads to "pay-to-get-carried" services. In WoW for example, there are numerous services, though illegal, that you can pay to have your character babysitted through boss encounters in order to get geared up. In warframe you can imagine this with three people carrying a fourth guy who is a level 1 warframe just hiding somewhere waiting for reward. Its probably ok if done with friends, but it gets dirty business as game grows.

If they keep reward rate constant, irrespective of the number waves, they can easily control the rate at which players acquire mods to the intended level. Those who want challenge are free to do any number of waves they want, without any unintended side effects (for DE).

Edited by rksk16it

If they keep reward rate constant, irrespective of the number waves, they can easily control the rate at which players acquire mods to the intended level. Those who want challenge are free to do any number of waves they want, without any unintended side effects (for DE).

You make some valid points, but a noticable increase in chances without having a 100% chance is another option. For example, if there is a 5% chance of a rare mod for wave 5 increasing it by 2.5% each additional wave would mean that it would be noticable later on (10% at wave 15, 15% at wave 25) and technically get up to 100% chance (on wave 195+), but it would take many hours to the point that getting to that level would be more bragging rights than worth the reward, but it would still give a better reward. (DISCLAIMER: The numbers above are completely made up.)

I by no means think there should be a 100% chance after wave 15, maybe after wave 80-100. The problem is that, with the same reward (or no noticable change in reward) as the challenge increases it will always be better to play the low level, easy waves and leave rather than go further. In the above example wave 15 has double the chance of a rare mod than wave 5, making it more worth doing. A more realistic set of numbers would probably be start at 2% and increase by 1% every 5 waves. Some people don't care about bragging rights.

I by no means think there should be a 100% chance after wave 15, maybe after wave 80-100

Yeah I agree here - it means I'd definitely spend a lot more of my time trying to hit wave 80 XD

I was doing Defense...and got back to back Heat Charge for Corpus missions all over the system

Round 5-15 was Heat Charge...needless to say...I could not escape that mod...

Its not only with corpus, its with defense missions on every planet. I dont need fusion mods anymore, I can just pump heatcharge, hellfire or streamline into anything, irrespective of polarity and I end up fully upgrading my target mod. Their supply is endless !!

I am thinking about collecting more of those to upgrade my second warframe too.