The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lex > Kraken..... Right?

escape123

they both serve different roles. the lex is crap at close range due to its long reload and firerate. while the kraken excels in those situations thanks to its stopping power and burst, which is manageable at closer range.

they are both excellent weps. with different uses. take one or the other based on what your other gun is and what it cant cover well. (lex for shotguns and such)

I have both maxed, and I prefer the Lex, but I definitely rely on my primary and melee if they get close enough.  Sure, you *might* one-shot everything at range with headshots, but running for your life, a knee-shot or gut-shot might not kill them in one hit, and then you're reloading.  Kraken is better for those situations if I'm running a lower rank primary.  Just don't expect one-shot (or rather, two shot burst) kills all the time, but it will be more useful while on the move instead of stationary.

I prefer the Kraken because it has a much higher skill-cap.

Being able to 'drag' my mouse downwards at the perfect speed, right as I'm firing, to place both shots on the head of a Grineer Lancer from across the room is quite satisfying.

That said, my non-catalyzed Lex is probably more effective. 1 fewer shot per reload, and a longer reload, but much more damage and significantly easier to use.

So basically, Lex and Kraken are very close in effectiveness, but the Kraken requires a LOT more skill from the user to hit that effectiveness.

It all comes down to personal preference. I like the look and sound of the Kraken, as well as the difficulty so that's what I use.

*NOTE: I like to lose. I prefer dying and failing to winning, so added difficulty with no benefit or bonus is what I want. If you don't want/need more difficulty, the Lex is probably a better pick.

The Kraken has more damage potential coupled with a higher skill ceiling inherent in burst-fire weapons. You basically have to get the motions required to land all burst-shots consistently in the same place before the Kraken starts to overtake the Lex.

But the difference aren't that big. Both weapons are just about right with one another, as it should be.

The Kraken has more damage potential coupled with a higher skill ceiling inherent in burst-fire weapons. You basically have to get the motions required to land all burst-shots consistently in the same place before the Kraken starts to overtake the Lex.

But the difference aren't that big. Both weapons are just about right with one another, as it should be.

Pretty much this.

Ideally, if one were skilled enough to compensate for recoil so perfectly as to land every shot exactly where they wanted, the Kraken would beat the Lex in just about every way.

However, in practice, it's nearly impossible to do that super consistantly at longer ranges, and the Lex will always beat the Kraken unless the Kraken can hit both shots, barring things like one getting reduced by armor while the other doesnt due to one getting a body shot instead of a head shot or something :P

I personally prefer the Lex, as it's generally better as an all-around gun than the Kraken due to it's decent damage and perfect accuracy, allowing it to function in nearly any role (The Lex actually does just as well close range with some fire rate mods in most GENERAL situations), until you start getting rushed by many enemies, at which point I can switch to a Braton or Gorgon or other such weapon to deal with it. The Lex generally just compliments my playstyle better than the Kraken (Though, generally I run with some nice, solid Aklatos, becuase dang those things are awesome :D)

However, the Kraken, as I've said, has a fairly decent lead on the Lex in damage potential, but it's difficulty in landing both shots does shorten it's effective range quite a bit in comparison. The Kraken also outputs more sustained damage than the Lex by a fairly decent chunk, though neither the Lex or the Kraken is a weapon you want to use for sustained damage (If I remember correctly, the Lex has the lowest damage over time out of every gun in the game, and Kraken is only a few spots higher)

What it basically boils down to is this: The Lex is your high-burst, all-range gun that excells at picking off targets at a distance or popping off a few enemies to conserve ammo (The Lex has one of, if not the best, ammo economies in the game) while the Kraken is a highER burst weapon, but trades off some effective range and ammo economy to accomplish this. It also has a bit larger bullet magazine, allowing it to fire an extra "shot" over the Lex before a reload at base stats, and letting it scale a bit better with ammo mods. This further increases its usefulness in closer ranges compared to the Lex.

Both are pretty solid and great guns.

But then again, the only pistol-slot gun that really needs some love from the buffs is the Sicarus.... lol

lol I love the Sicarus, 100% multishot and 200% damage from Hornet strike, provides me all the damage I really need.

I can pull once and kill basic lvl 55 mobs (basic = non heavy/shielded). Ammo efficiency is bad but on non-defense runs I don't run out of ammo.

On topic, I perfer Lex over Kraken just for more consistent damage without much practice at long range

lol I love the Sicarus, 100% multishot and 200% damage from Hornet strike, provides me all the damage I really need.

I can pull once and kill basic lvl 55 mobs (basic = non heavy/shielded). Ammo efficiency is bad but on non-defense runs I don't run out of ammo.

On topic, I perfer Lex over Kraken just for more consistent damage without much practice at long range

The Sicarus's problem isn't that it's too weak.

It's problem is that it doesnt do enough to be a "general" weapon like the Aklato, and everything it does do something else basically does better, or at least this is enough of the case to make it not worth picking over those things. I dunno, maybe there's something I'm not seeing?

It's problem is that it doesnt do enough to be a "general" weapon like the Aklato, and everything it does do something else basically does better, or at least this is enough of the case to make it not worth picking over those things. I dunno, maybe there's something I'm not seeing?

Maybe it's just me but I find absolutely no problems with it. Perhaps it's just down to playstyle? Or as you said other weapons do better and that draws people to them? The desire to have the "best" weapons in game to show off probably also contributes

sorry for off-topic

Edited by NinjaMH

Sicarus has a unique look. Kraken might be considered ugly and Lex too generic, so I guess that's its strong point. (Aside from being cheap and easy to get)

I personally just use it like a stronger Furis. Not much better in the ammo economy department but it does its job.

I have a sicarus lvl 30 i can tell you is one of the best Sidearms in game if you can control the burst (same thing with kraken and burston) but now im waiting for a Aksicarus...(like in perfect dark !)

Edited by Dasmir

Perfect aim: Kraken

Hit 2 headshots at super range

Good aim/sniper playstyle: Lex

Hitting 1 headshot w/ Lex > hitting 1 body shot and 1 headshot w/Kraken (I think)

Poor aim/CQC playstyle: Kraken

It is harder to hit weak points when you are weaving in and out of infested with slide attacks. The Kraken has more raw damage and an extra bullet in the clip. Also Kraken wins vs ancients, because the leg has a really tall weak point to hit.

I haven't use other pistols than these, so I can't use those in comparisons.

gotta say the kraken outshines the lex once you've had enough practice with it. when you get used to how it fires the kraken can perform well at all ranges, ive gotten to the point where i can easily snipe things cross the room in one trigger pull. putting in firing speed reduces the lag between bullets and gives it a more constant flow of damage vs closer/harder targets while having multi shot in just makes the damage pour out as well and gives even more room for error in long range shots.

also if we look at how the kraken fires which is a two shot burst it gets 1 more shot out of its clip than a lex before needing to reload which keeps its damage up before needing to reload and there is almost no difference in reload times between these two guns. you could argue that because the kraken fires in bursts that its maximum ammo pool is cut down but because pistol ammo is so common a drop this is a non issue.

while the lex is no doubt a great sniping pistol out of the box user wise the kraken is for those who want more of a skill challenge that rewards the user with a more versatile gun that can easily compete with lex's range once mastered.

Edited by MarcusGraves

Gotta agree with MarcusGraves. It's more challenging to use and outperforms the Lex (for me anyway), and killing two enemies with one trigger pull because you moved your mouse just right to compensate for the kick - always awesome.

My experience with the Kraken might have been influenced by my at-the-time favorite primary being the Burston, which had already conditioned me to the draw-down-during-fire motions to burst weapons. I favor the Kraken over the Lex in most situations that aren't brought down to simply range. I prefer my fights at medium to short anyway, so I favor the Kraken at the end of the day.

Still, both guns are great. A good example of good balance for different playstyles.