Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Matchmaking Optimization Based On Ping, Connecting You To 1K+ Ping Host

finalgenesis

Would like to add a feedback about ping:

It seems currently that matchmaking doesn't take into account with response time with host (basically the geographic location of the players), while a ping of say 300-400ms is barely tolerable, getting into a game with 1k~ ms ping just is just a waste of time and enjoyment for all parties involved on top of adding to your game abandoned stats.

Around 40% of the games I join have tolerable if not very fun ping, another 40% where it's just a waste of time (sit on an item for 5 seconds to pick up, enemy stand still and warp every few seconds), and finally 20% where host is actually close to me and gameplay is enjoyable. For reference I'm in the Oceanic region, and have a decent connection (~50-100ms ping to game servers located in SE Asia). When I do play with folks I know in the area everything is peachy, but that's not possible 100% of the time.

Optimally we should be able to set a range of ping we can accept, more realistically the game should not connect the player to host with 400+ ms ping.

Whether you can do this via an actual ping test, or use some IP grouping magic to ensure people don't play with host on the opposite side of the planet. You might implement it where a "join session" command can bypass these restrictions to allow friends who live far apart from each other to play together.

This is actually a fairly easy modification which I'm sure DESteve can implement once U8 is finished.  Set the host function to a lower TTD so players with high latency have their data packets expire before allowing other players to join their session.  Problem solved using automated network controls that have been in place since ARPAnet existed.