Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Improving Criticals And Giving It A Place

finalgenesis

Currently the critical hit system feels like it's put into a game simply because it a standard damage mechanic device, of which only a few specific weapons (grakata, Dzoren ...etc) are designed to even bother with it.

Some thoughts to rework critical hit system to give it some substance:

1) Add mods similar (below are just examples to demonstrate what I mean) to the following:

a) On critical hit, chance to heals you.

b) On critical hit, chance to charges energy.

c) On critical hit, chance to chain over electrocution damage to 3 additional enemies

d) On critical hit, chance to does fire damage over a small AoE

e) On critical hit, chance to slow or freeze over a small AoE.

f) On critical hit, chance to increase melee/sidearm/primary  attack speed by +5%, last for 5 seconds 6 max stack.

g) On crit hit, chance to disable ranged weapon on enemies.

h) same as g), replace effect with confused, knockdown ...etc

i) On crit hit, chance to convert all normal damage to armor piercing.

j) Warframe mod, add a flat base critical hit chance to all attack. say 3/5/7/9/11%. Capped to 25% base crit. To enable players to use non-crit specialized weapon in a crit play style if they really want to.

...etc

2) Rework base critical % over all weapons, make the divide between crit and non-crit weapons smaller. Ex:

- Currently All melee weapon has 5% crit, compared to Zoren's 30% crit, along with +50% crit damage compared to Zoren's +150%, only 2 other melee weapon has +100% crit damage (out of... 28? melee weapons). Combined with the blade's +crit% mod (+5% crit chance per lvl) the current system is clearly a "placeholder". End result is that only for a very small selection of weapons are crit build even thinkable.

3) Scale chance to trigger special effects on critical hit to attack speed. So if you pick 0.5 APS (attack per second) to be the standard for melee weapons, then a weapon that has 1 APS will trigger a crit hit effect only 50% of the time, whereas a weapon with 0.5 APS will have 100% chance to trigger specials on crit hit. Adjust appropriate chance modifier to charge attacks, and perhaps a damage bonus to 100+% effect chance.  This is to make sure that slow weapons don't become excluded from crit-viability.

Edited by finalgenesis

the base critical amount for most ranged weapons need to be drastically raised in order to get the most out of the crit mods. the values for them are actually pretty good (rifle 150%, shotgun 90% and pistol 120%) the problem is because the base critical on these weapons are so low that the boost is kinda worthless for the mod cost. lets say for rifle why would i waste 9 mod points to only get 7.5% more crit (assuming it has 5%) for a low 12.5% when i could just use an elemental mod which can be cheaper point wise and more consistent in damage.

the one i have a real gripe with though is the melee critical mod which gives a measly 30% boost for 9 points this mod really needs it to be somewhere around 60-70% at max for it to be decent. 

Edited by MarcusGraves