Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Better Polarity Balancing.

Captain_Seasick

So, I have no clue if anyone else feels the same way, but here's my two cents on how the polarity system works as it is RIGHT NOW:

It really bothers me that when you upgrade from level X to the final level of a mod/ability, it ends up costing nothing short of a FORTUNE in terms of credits/cores/other mods to attain that level, but you'll invariably only get a marginal boost. Now, THIS isn't an issue itself, but the polarity system is, because as I've noticed, there is a constant truth in WF: no matter the type, level or "rarity value" of a mod, they ALWAYS end up on an uneven level when maxed out.

The issue here (in closer detail) is how polarities treat uneven numbers. They only round UPWARDS when dealing with level 3/5/7/9/etc. mods. Allow me to explain with a (hopefully) more comprehensive "formula".

A typical "ulti" ability starts at 10 points cost to equip. With a polarity, it's reduced by 50%, that is 5 points. When leveling it up ONCE, the basic cost is now 11 points, but polarities STILL only removes 5 points. Leveling it up again (now to a 12 point cost) lets a polarity remove an additional point, resulting in a 6 points cost. But here's the kicker... If you want max out your ulti (and you invariably SHOULD) it'll end up costing you 7 points MINIMUM to equip it, for only a slight upgrade to it. It's even more noticable on upgrades such as + crit damage for rifle, or other rare "value" mods.

So, what I'm saying here is this: the extreme cost in terms of credits/cores/mods for fusing a mod until it reaches max level SHOULD be enough, considering it'll only raise its effect by it's base value (a meager +15% rifle damage with serration, for example), WITHOUT it requiring yet ANOTHER mod point to be added to the cost when equipping it on a polarity slot.

tl;dr: Please DE, at least consider ONE of these two solutions; either make polarities "split" the point cost to 6½, 8½, or other such decimals, to allow for better customisation, OR, failing that, simply make polarities round costs DOWN when dealing with uneven point costs.

That'll be all from me for now. Thank you.

PS: Now, just to make it perfectly clear to all my fellow "users" around here: since you're not (and I'm not) a dev, please don't "oppose" this idea simply because you, yourself, aren't bothered by the issue. If you have an actual REASON for this aspect of the game to NOT be rebalanced, then by all means! Post away! But please, PLEASE, don't just say "this is a bad idea because blah blah blah I'm not bothered by it" and use that as an argument for the actual devs to NOT rework this small but crucial design fault in the game. It's just not kosher. DS.

PSS: Props to Draforce for doing a brief bit of brainstorming in-game with me on this one. Half of all the credit (and the blame!) goes to him. DS.

Edited by Captain_Seasick

its like they wanna make you think or something.

limits are good. it means we think stuff like this and make intelligent decision. using our brain organs.

ironically enough, you are doing it right. the system works!

I'm not sure if you're criticising my idea, or praising it, or... what. But the thing is, it's a HUMONGOLOIDOUS investment just to GET a mod to the max level, unless it's just a petty and common ability (in which case it's a pie-walk in cake-land). So in my opinion, it's enough that we throw ridiculous amounts of cash, time and mods at leveling our stuff, and NOT get punished for wanting to squeeze a puny little measly 5 extra percent of sprint speed out of a Rush mod, or an equally petty 5% out of Continuity, by having it cost a VERY crucial mod point extra for that tiny upgrade.

The polarities are fine as-is.

While I can't argue that they're "working" or "functioning", the question here is: can they be made to work in a better and/or less "riskful" way?

Because just shrugging and saying "I don't care, everything's fine" is probably just about the worst kind of feedback anyone can give about stuff. Especially in a game that's still in beta-state.