Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solo Play

DrinkableSnacks

I'm mainly a solo player. Which is a big drawback.

The problems I have with solo play are the stunlocks that enemies can inflict (aka: Rollers, Railgun MOA, Leapers).

And since I don't have someone to back me up a lot, I rely on the Gear items.

And here's the problem with the Gear items: You have to click them at the bottom of the screen.

How that's a problem is because I'm usually in the middle of a big heated fight and my shields are just dropping faster and faster and faster. And I need to escape, but since I have to click my Shield Restore item, I'm a sitting duck to everyone and by the time I click the item...

I'm dead!

Enough of scenarios, but I think the Gear items should be more easily selected.

I don't care whether I have to use my number pad, arrow keys, or Q+[0-9].

I could think of more solo play problems, but this is my biggest one.

Have the tab menu allow you to "set" a certain item to a "Quick Item" key, which consumes it instantly when pressed. Maybe Q. This way you avoid having to take your hand off WASD/mouse during a firefight, avoid the risk of hitting the wrong key and have a chance to set what item you might need during a breather period, kind of a prediction/tactics thing.

I also play a lot of solo, probably at least as much as I group with my approved friends list. When playing solo I usually select a frame that has a cheep "get outa jail free card" like slash dash or even rhino charge. Then when playing I make a point of not getting in those situations, especially with infested. When / if it does happen I use my skill to get me out of the fray and fall back a little so I can re engage in an effective manner that does not get me killed. I have very rarely ever used my gear items. I do use the ammo depending on the weapon (Grakata I'm looking at you) but that's it. I have almost 200 hours in game, at least 100 of those hours were solo and I have never once used a health item or a shield item. I assure you it can be done. As you go to more difficult areas you may have to play a little bit defensively, but it's totally doable.

I also play a lot of solo, probably at least as much as I group with my approved friends list. When playing solo I usually select a frame that has a cheep "get outa jail free card" like slash dash or even rhino charge. Then when playing I make a point of not getting in those situations, especially with infested. When / if it does happen I use my skill to get me out of the fray and fall back a little so I can re engage in an effective manner that does not get me killed. I have very rarely ever used my gear items. I do use the ammo depending on the weapon (Grakata I'm looking at you) but that's it. I have almost 200 hours in game, at least 100 of those hours were solo and I have never once used a health item or a shield item. I assure you it can be done. As you go to more difficult areas you may have to play a little bit defensively, but it's totally doable.

I can't argue with your method of playing, but I'd like to comment on what you said.

Since I'm one of those guys that play games and get really involved (like in the middle of all the action, surrounded by mobs, always in trouble) I always keep a health refill close to use so I can stay in the center.

You might be one of those that take a side and wipe out waves and waves of enemies ahead. And I don't think of your play style badly! In fact, I think it's more effective.

But my play style differs from others and is similar to others. And the most important thing is: it's MY method.

Don't take me the wrong way or anything, I'm not here for a debate, I'm just saying that other people have their own unique styles, and they wish that their styles and similar will be able to improve with other styles that completely differ just by an improvement to the system.

Anyways, I hope you can understand play styles a bit more and probably understand what others are feeling.

It's fairly easy to solo everything up to pluto, (Eris and MAYBE sedna are a little tricky).

As for your item menu suggestion, they're already contemplating a radial design, it's possible that they're adding a quick key command.

I can't argue with your method of playing, but I'd like to comment on what you said.

Since I'm one of those guys that play games and get really involved (like in the middle of all the action, surrounded by mobs, always in trouble) I always keep a health refill close to use so I can stay in the center.

You might be one of those that take a side and wipe out waves and waves of enemies ahead. And I don't think of your play style badly! In fact, I think it's more effective.

But my play style differs from others and is similar to others. And the most important thing is: it's MY method.

Don't take me the wrong way or anything, I'm not here for a debate, I'm just saying that other people have their own unique styles, and they wish that their styles and similar will be able to improve with other styles that completely differ just by an improvement to the system.

Anyways, I hope you can understand play styles a bit more and probably understand what others are feeling.

It's all good man. And I suppose I didn't really make it clear that I do agree with your idea to make gear items more easlily usable. My main point was an attempt to provide ideas / encouragement on how one might better get through solo content while the current situation is what it is, and perhaps lend solo ideas to you that may be used untill a faster more intuitive item use system is in place.

Cheers!

My advice when playing solo is to be FAST above all else.  Use hit and run tactics avoid becoming a bullet sponge.  Even my super-tanked rhino can't sustain the 'center of the action, always in trouble' for long on the higher level planets, game isn't really designed that way.

I agree the items are a bit useless since you have to select them with the mouse, hotkeys would make them much more viable.