Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alerts And Rare Mods: Together?

Licter

I have to figure that I'm like a lot of people out there when it comes to alert missions: if it isn't for an item I don't have (and actually want), or it's for a lot of credits, I don't bother.

I love the concept of the alert system; unfortunately, you have this time restricted alert message, with a sense of urgency because it'll expire.  Then you get into the mission itself and... it's exactly like every other mission you have run for the last 50+ hours of gameplay.

So why run an alert for 2k credits when I can run a normal mission on a mid-level planet for 3K or more?

Two suggestions:

1) Change the dynamic of alert mission to be different from standard missions.  For example, an in-mission time limit.  After the timer expires, the enemy reinforcements become overwhelming.  Not an instant 'fail' but definitely an incentive to get done quick.  Yes, I know this only encourages "rushers," which is generally bad, but logically, some mission should be a "rush job" and a mission that is an 'alert' makes perfect sense.

2) The main reason I started this thread: an Alert "market."  As you complete alert missions, you gain "credit" towards a marketplace (one credit per completed mission).  The more credit you have, the better items you can afford.  At the top end, 50-100 credits may allow you to choose a rare mod that you've been trying to get but never saw drop.  Now we have a reason to complete as many alerts as we can get our hands on, regardless of their individual reward.  In addition, we have a system to acquire mods, resources, blueprints, ect that doesn't rely on random chance.  Though it would require a lot of alert mission running.

Re the 2k reward; that's in addition to the regular mission reward, so you'll always get more credits from an alert than you do a regular misson.

To spice up the 'grinding for mods' I'd suggest that alert missions have a significantly higher chance of dropping quality mods.

This would have several effects :

1) people wouldn't automatically rush alert missions, as the mobs would be worth killing.

2) all alerts, even the 2k ones, would be worth doing.

3) it'd reduce the burnout that grinders suffer by offering a viable alternative to doing the same content over & over. (xini, kappa, Kiste, etc)

Re the 2k reward; that's in addition to the regular mission reward, so you'll always get more credits from an alert than you do a regular misson.

To spice up the 'grinding for mods' I'd suggest that alert missions have a significantly higher chance of dropping quality mods.

This would have several effects :

1) people wouldn't automatically rush alert missions, as the mobs would be worth killing.

2) all alerts, even the 2k ones, would be worth doing.

3) it'd reduce the burnout that grinders suffer by offering a viable alternative to doing the same content over & over. (xini, kappa, Kiste, etc)

First of all I agree with your first point , it is an addition to the reward of the mission and it is ALWAYS better than any other reward. Secondly I would suggest not to do that and instead have some special alerts with this kind of higher drop rate. It would be unfair and it will make the game too easy if every alert had this "buff". Everyone would find his own split/hell's chamber in a matter of days and it would lose its value !

***Unless you applied a slight buff to all the alerts which I think would work okay since you can't "spam" them as you can only do them once. Oh and in case somebody invites you for a second run the buff should be removed.

I guess I could have explained my rationale better.

By mid-to-end game you have: enough money that it isn't really a motivator anymore, and have seen the same missions with the same enemies in the same tilesets enough to put you into a coma.

Alert missions need to have a different feel, or different reward system.

We really do need some way of getting around the RNG for acquiring items.  It shouldn't be cheap or easy, it should require time and effort to achieve; but we should have some option to choose what we want to have, rather than hoping for the best and relying on statistical inevitability for things we need.

A lot of people are against tokens unfortunately, though I do think it's better than just increasing mod chances which is a)still RNG and b) not so helpful for lower level alerts. Myabe have booster packs liek the ones for plat, though only in singles. If you've done 100 alerts, you've played the game long enough to deserve at least a chance of a guaranteed, non-ability mod.