Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boss Encounter Overhaul... From Crappy To Epic - Suggestions

Tattutattikawa

This will be hell of TL DR but i try to make it section based so its readable.

Why?

I did my fair share of offline and online gaming already to know, recognize and appreciate good boss encounter. Warframe is PVE oriented game playable also solo, i agree this is very restrictive in terms of boss mechanic BUT done several arcade solo games that i know that challenging encounter can be done for solo/multi event too, if done right and added right mix of hard + doable the feeling after completion is a bless. Closest encounter we have here is well Jackal and random rocket avoidable one-shot is not exactly making it.

What is boss?

Boss to me is skill+gear+knowledge test impersonation reward for time spent playing.

Boss Mission/Environment Suggestions:

- make a difficulty options - let the highest be only accessible after completing previous ones, possibly allow only max lvl frames + weapon loadout enter highest ranks, 

- timer - the impending doom is also part of hard encounter, no slacking allowed if you want to complete objective in time much like the "ship self destruct" this can as well start during the encounter itself or boss could start it in some condition.

- Weapon Scanners: voice "Tenno this ship has advanced WSS *weapon scrambler system, your ranged weaponry wont help you here" then allow only melee weapons kind of scenario.

- Stealth actually a factor - Target boss will escape in module shortly after alarm is triggered. (This might need tuning of alert triggering system maybe)

- Objective for Mechanic - implement hacking, or other not-directly boss objective to interfere with boss encounter itself, for example boss cant break glass and make encounter harder if you shielded it already aka there would be no terminal in boss room possibly, or beams will be temporary disabled when reactor destroyed, this might even force tenno team to split at the time

- Escape/Chase scenario - Boss might be immortal or very hard hitting or elusive, making a run for it, making tenno adapt aka escape or chase.

- Motion scanners: long corridor swarmed with sentries, laser scan going in waves, if you move/dont hide when on you BAM you a toast. This will allow stealth frames to contribute "guys Let me disable the scan for you, runs along the corridor turn of switch at the end"

- destruction of environment - lava raising have to move higher, parts of the floor shattering, poison spreading across the room, always interesting to involve space management

Boss abilities/encounter suggestions:

These I have seen all and hardly any can surprise me nowdays but here are some:

- 360° rotating heavy hit laser/beam/fire - classic but still makes you move them feet

- Nano-fiber net - shoots at random tenno(s), cant move or take actions until released by teammates "attack the net"

- Scorpion Harpoon - boss impales random tenno and start pulling to himself, periodic dmg + instakill after duration can be disrupted by XY* *-melee, % hp lost, fixed hp lost, shields down, environment mechanic

- Enrage timer - another overused yet still challenging ability

- Hunt - fixes on target if caught -> dead/ increase dmg / aoe / another ability

- Hard shell - getting non-penetrable shield -> have to be lured to specific spot for environmental dmg, explosive canister for example or bombs layed by flyiers, can be limited

- Binding chain - chain tenno team together with cyber chain -> tenno has to stick for 5m of each other else broken - explosion/slow/stun

- Vortex realm - Teleports tenno to vortex have to do XY* to be released *get somewhere in time/kill/destroy objective/duration

- Eye for an Eye - marks tenno, has to seize all dmg or transfered to market target

- Darkness - lights go out until XY* *duration/objective done/dmg recieved

- Neutron flare - starts count down, each tenno has to find a shelter pod to  hide in or else...

- Shield Nova - tenno have to loose their shields or remaining value % converted to HP dmg

- Floor spikes - few times during the fight boss will make emote after short time, spikes fire from the floor - tenno have to do wall rides/slides during to avoid dmg/death

- Holographic mirror - clones boss multiple times only one is real have to do XY* to mark the real one *- destroy equipment/watch boss hp / check for specific markings etc.

- Infested parasites - boss spawn (1-4) parasite(s) at the time periodically - will attach to warframe, each parasite reduces movement speed/max shield/max hp - this might make tenno work hard + when homing on nearest target to make tenno help each other to not get stacked too high

- Viral Infection - when caught, causes abilities to cost also hp

- Rampage - lunches vicious attacks on targeted tenno have to block the full duration

- Corrupted Offspring - Infested boss lays and egg after duration if not destroyed XY* spawns miniboss/heals boss/ triggers ability/clones tenno/

- multi-Spectral shields - vulnerable to only one element for the duration

- Hivemind - infested killed near boss regenerate his hp/increase dmg

- Headshot - starts focusing one tenno with aimed shot dealing 1500 dmg if target not shielded, penetrating environment while draining targets shields to 0. Has to be blocked by other member with shields left.

- Another Time - boss starts escaping have to XY* to make him not.

There are many ideas out there I hope you voice them out here, also please let me  DE know what u like and what you don't.

TTT out

Edited by Tattutattikawa