Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Rant On Stun Animations And The Infestation

NomiKaijin

I would like to start out by saying that I don't mind the Infestation as a race, or being stunned, it's just how long it takes the stun animation to finish and how often it happens with the Infestation. The amount of time that you are unable to control your frame is both annoying and unnecessary. By the time the animation of your frame stumbling around is done, you have already lost over half your sheilds from the swarm of Chargers and (Possibly) Ancients around you.

WARNING STORY INCOMING, SKIP TO THE END OF THE POST MARKED IN ITALICS TO READ MY FINAL VERDICT.

The best example that sticks out in my mind is when i was still pretty new to the game, and i had just gotten finished with the first planet or world in the game, Mercury. I then wanted to continue on, so I checked the level caps on the first levels of both Venus and Saturn, and decided (Since It had a lower level cap) to go to Saturn first.

I was greeted with the portrait of one of the Grineer troops and a slightly higher level cap. This didn't faze me at all as i powered through levels Dione, and Enceladus with relative ease. Once i was done giving the Grineer a thrashing on those levels i decided to check out the newest level named Janus. I noticed that the target was no longer Grineer but something called the Infestation. I immeditatly thought of the Flood from the popular game series Halo, so, i prepared myself accordingly. Not only that, but I was excentric to see a new race/type of enemy besides the normal Grineer, but what came next suprised me to say the least.

I was flown into the new world with a happy but slightly worried smile on my face. I took in the new environment with stride, and was suprised by the amount of sheer detail in the little plant-flood-things on the floor and wall. I was then quickly introduced to my new enemy, a small thing called a Charger. (This is also the first time i noticed that you could get knocked back/stunned) The small thing threw me around a few times before i killed it. I was then Immediatly rushed by more than 4 of them, claiming my first revive. Managing to kill the rest of them in that room i continued on. Then, i was faced by another type of Infestation called a Runner. These pesky things simply run into and explode causing your frame to thrash around for about 2 seconds. Not knowing what they did i simply went to chop the hell out of one, and it exploded alerting everything else in that area. Soon i was getting chained stunned in a corner, doomed to remain there as i died. Again, and again, and again. This really ticked me off to say the least but i eventually beat the level and others after that. For a new player i was scared and overwhelmed with the amount of things going on at once.

FINAL VERDICT :

I believe that the amount of time stuns last and the amount of infected need to be reduced a good bit. This is all just opinion but im sure some people can agree with me on the topic.

There's a pretty simple answer to this that video games discovered ages ago. Like we're talking back in the 8-bit days. Invincibility frames. You see, Games would often give characters frames of invincibility on being hit so you couldn't get hit by a dude and then chain hit forever and lose instantly. But I guess DE's above that or something.

ITT:
New players cannot kite.

Discuss.

In all seriousness, your "Story" is exactly why learning curves exist. You should not be able to win everything you do the first time every time. That's not fun, that's not progression. That's just "Look! my numbers are getting bigger! This game is fun because I like big numbers!'

The first few missions, meeting corpus for the first time and being swamped, getting knocked about by infested...

They help you adapt to the game, they're some of the most fun that can be had in the game.

Most players have no problem dealing with infested, they move about as fast as you, and don't have huge ranged damage potential.

Just backpedal and spam any rapid fire weapon, including the pistol you start with, and you'll be fine.

Edited by NotaCobra

Depending on what frame and weapons you are using you will find this to be a non issue fairly quickly. However Infested are probably the hardest enemy in the game until you are equipped to deal with them.

Until you gain confidence, run away and shoot at the same time. 

Against ancients, shoot them in the head (off to the side a bit) or the big boxy boot.

If your playing an Excalibur your Dash is broken op and can clear entire groups with one press.

Avoid poison as it ignores you shields and will quickly drain your health.