Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Teamwork Is Magic

Recently, I've been leveling up my new Vulkar, whenever I can break away from farming alloy plates for the glory of our new clan dojo. (Seriously this has become a second job, DE adjust drop rates please?). I was struck by the realisation that as a dedicated sniper, it can be hard to get your grubby tenno mitts on sniper ammo, even with sniper scavenger equipped. 

Now I'm not asking that the ammo system receive yet another tweak, no instead I thought of a little idea to help out with ammo shortages, AND inject a bit of teamplay into your average mission, which - lets face it - is often lacking. 

What if we could collect additional ammunition, for weapon types we didn't have equipped. And then share said ammunition with our team-mates?

The basic idea being, if for each ammunition type that a player isn't using (ie: Shotgun, sniper - if a rifle and pistol are equipped) - the player could stockpile a reasonable amount (say, 50% of the total for a weapon of that sort) - and when within a few meters of a friendly player, could press a button to transfer the ammo to their team-mate.

Imagine if you will, beginner Paris users, or expert Gorgon-gunners, could keep the enemy pinned down, safe in the knowledge that one of their thoughtful squad-mates was running back and forth, keeping them well stocked with ammo. Pro space-ninja's wielding the Kunai, could thoughtfully donate pistol ammo, and all those shotgun shells could go to the one HEK sprayer for maximum pellet spammage!

Perhaps the idea could even be extended so that the collector/carrier received a minor bonus for their good teamplay. Maybe a minor critical hit buff that increased with each donation of ammo, or even a small health regeneration. Something small, but mildly empowering. 

Maybe even players could collect an additional 20% of their primary and secondary ammunition types, which they couldn't actually access themselves, but could also share? To prevent the problems of a team with similar gear. 

Ideally the actual sharing mechanic should be as quick and painless as possible. The player should only have to press a single button to transfer ALL excess ammunition to the nearest player, with a weapon equipped that uses it. Perhaps even a receiver would be automatically selected based on their current ammo count. There could be a small animation, perhaps something along the lines of chucking an ammobox across - but it should be concise and interuptable if need be.

So. Thoughts? 

Just realised that if we had auto ammo distribution, the scavenger artifacts would finally see more use. Designated support teammates can go off collecting ammo for teammates in long boss fights.

My thoughts exactly! :D We could even see emergent gameplay strategies where all the *cough* rushers *cough* with their faster, frames, could work as ammo-mules, ferreting out ammo for the slower tankier players. That's why I envisioned some sort of passive buff for the donater. Because otherwise people will avoid such strategies for fear of getting a low score on their end of match card. 

My thoughts exactly! :D We could even see emergent gameplay strategies where all the *cough* rushers *cough* with their faster, frames, could work as ammo-mules, ferreting out ammo for the slower tankier players. That's why I envisioned some sort of passive buff for the donater. Because otherwise people will avoid such strategies for fear of getting a low score on their end of match card. 

As a rusher, I'm totally ok with this, i rush because i like to run around, I'll run around in circles if I feel like it too.

This is a cool idea. And I think it'd be pretty simple to implement (basically, you give all players a sort of "sharing aura" like the ammo upgrade for the Sunderbus in Planetside 2).

One thing though:

"faster, frames, could work as ammo-mules, ferreting out ammo for the slower tankier players."

I'd say it should be the other way around. One thing I've seen a few people (myself included) recommending is that perhaps the Rhino should have a slight % ammo capacity increase, due to being the "heavy lifter". This could include the "sharing" cache.

What if players could actually equip some sort of stockpile mod/artifact/inventory item that would allow them to become a sort of ammo drop-off point, so other players could collect ammo, dump it on the heavy, then return to the heavy when they ran out.

"Because otherwise people will avoid such strategies for fear of getting a low score on their end of match card."

I think this could go hand in hand with a general overhaul of the scoring system, which could include actual "assists" (in the sense of saving people from enemies that were actively damaging them), revives and, as you say, ammo sharing.

Whatever, I think this is a great idea in general.

Edited by MXXVI

Recently, I've been leveling up my new Vulkar, whenever I can break away from farming alloy plates for the glory of our new clan dojo. (Seriously this has become a second job, DE adjust drop rates please?).

OT:

In case you haven't noticed, they already did post-U8. I got an alloy plate drop in a bundle of 80 just yesterday in a Venus defense mission.

OT:

In case you haven't noticed, they already did post-U8. I got an alloy plate drop in a bundle of 80 just yesterday in a Venus defense mission.

I'm sorry, what? You got a bundle of 80 alloy? Or....a bundle of 80 material drops or....what are you saying? 

I'm opposed to automatic ammo distribution on team pickup as it prevents players from carefully managing their own ammo stores as there's no mechanic in place to take only the ammo needed at the time from an ammo pickup and portions of that pickup can be wasted. I am however in favor of the idea of teammates being able to drop ammo for those that need it and think it would be a nice addition to coop play. I manage my ammo well and almost never run out- some that i play with are not so great at it and it would be nice to be able to drop some ammo for them. Some buttons to the gear menu allowing people to drop a mag of ammo should suffice for this.

I'm opposed to automatic ammo distribution on team pickup as it prevents players from carefully managing their own ammo stores as there's no mechanic in place to take only the ammo needed at the time from an ammo pickup and portions of that pickup can be wasted. I am however in favor of the idea of teammates being able to drop ammo for those that need it and think it would be a nice addition to coop play. I manage my ammo well and almost never run out- some that i play with are not so great at it and it would be nice to be able to drop some ammo for them. Some buttons to the gear menu allowing people to drop a mag of ammo should suffice for this.

I was thinking something more elegant than simply then the ability to drop ammo boxes. A lot of players don't use the things, or the entire gear interface itself - and that would make co-operation dependant on members having boxes, whether they bought or farmed for them. A key to share all ammo not used by currently equipped weapons, and the ability to collect ammo for those weapon types seems the better solution to me.

I also like this idea. Even though I have actually yet use a sniper class weapon, having players able to supply others with ammo sounds like a great way to encourage co-op. That way all those unwanted ammo drops the players has no use for may actually go to good use. also maybe, just maybe add in a low ammo indicator (and what type of ammo.) for ally players maybe in the same UI as player's stats via pushing the "z" button, so others if they want to can tell in the heat of battle that player X is running low on ammo.

Edited by Rafarix

I like the idea.  I think it should at least be considered. I'm sure DE's smart enough to figure out how to make it work without breaking the game, well entirely, if they do consider it.

-Almost said something he didn't want to say.- xD;

Anyway I like the drop point idea, and think that perhaps in certain situations, like defense, it would be suitable. 

While I can understand the concern for mods, I do wanna point out that this idea need not only affect ammunition, but other resources as well. Maybe there'd be an item you can buy that would 'store' energy until you actually need ot. I'd make it a little expensive if it existed, but that'd be an interesting angle on this idea.

You could share energy storage, as well as ammo. Which would in the end actually become something more likely for other people to want to share, simply because they probably won't need all of it and they'd want their team mates to survive or have energy to use their skills when and if necessary in tight situations.