Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Things Planetside 2 Does Better Then Warframe

Institute-Marksman

Yes, I'm comparing these two games. You may think they have more differences then similairies, but they are both F2P MMOs. I'm gonna roll with that for right now, so get used to it. 

Heres some things to discuss:

1: Versatility.
Although Warframe is your everday trench shooter and Planetside an open world game, Planetside holds versatility high up in the air, with classes of soldiers available to the player right off the bat. Weapons are not very hard to get and only a few guns can only be earnt by performing certain actions, yet all of them are available, you only need to be certified to use them. And you can get enough Certification points by entering combat and doing what your class does best. While Warframe offers the exact same thing, the player needs to get enough credits, ontop of a blueprint from the market AND four different types of resources from different places, not to forget that the resources are all on different levels of rarity. 

2: Paying.
Both games are free to play, but to fund the game there are very nice things available to the player, for a small price. Resources are generally a nice addition to games, but the paying part in Warframe pops out like nipples on a celebrity. While in Planetside, there is no need for paying, no need to run the same mission over and over again for that slight chance to drop that one item everyone wants, and the best of it all, it doesn't turn you to desperation and finally buy that one part, only to fin you could've used that money for something better. Planetside doesn't fare much better though, with ads intended to make you go buy ingame money. While Warframe allows the same kind of character customization(different characters do different things), Planetside has most of your external customization locked behind a paywall. However, both games offer you to buy the part without having to grind for it and not pay real money.

3: PVP
Although Warframe isn't about PVP, it's version of it is fairly balanced. In Planetside, however, players may be facing off with people who have been playing the game for years, or someone who has played it for only a day. No restrictions in weapons, damage, whatsoever.

I don't really see how you could compare the two games. Warframe is a TPS, primarily PvE game. Planetside 2 is a FPS with third person camera available in vehicles, which as far as i'm aware is PvP only (I played the PS4 beta, but never really got into it, it's pretty well balanced so the matches seemed to drag on and on). Neither of them could be called massively multiplayer. Planetside 2 is server based, Warframe is host based apart from the relays.

The comparisom points you make don't really hold up because of how different the two types of games are. Warframe is based around crafting, whereas Planetside is based around hours played for progression. You say there's no need to run the same missions in Planetside, but Planetside has no missions, it's purely PvP objective or deathmatch.

Planetside is like battlefield with a sci fi twist. Players start off with a disadvantage to give a sense of progression because that's all there is in the game.

I'll agree with #1.

The slot mechanic limiting new players needs to die. I bet if we could see their internal data on sub rank 5 players inactive 100days+ it would be pretty clear they ran out of interest when they ran out of slots or built something and got an error about paying for slots before they could claim it. To get a new frame you're talking about three systems now (Mercury, Earth and Venus.) plus farming the Jackal, then waiting a week or so of crafting times.

#2 I disagree with.

Planetside2's pay model was based on this bullcrap about "side grade" weapons that were just "different" rather than straight upgrades, but those differences meant different weapons were better and worse in different situations, so now you have a team based class v class game where you literally spawn with a terminal right in front of you where you can pull out whatever you need every time you respawn.

Those side grade options translate DIRECTLY to being stronger because you know the situation and can pick the appropriate gear to help the team or gain as much advantage as possible in firefights.

Then even if you play for a long time as a free player you have absolutely disgusting huge cert sinks in other areas, like vehicle upgrades and max suit upgrades so as you spend all your certs catching up on guns and gear, the paid player is getting THE SAME CERTS and is able to spend them in large amounts on those big sinks.