Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Martial Arts: Passive And Active.

Onite

I feel like this game is way waay too saturated and rewarding for just stacking as much elemental damage as you can and spamming as many warframe abilities as you can for DPS. With 4 players all doing this, the missions are just jam packed with spam, especially visually. And i feel this really cheapens the feel of Warframe, including immersion. I want to feel like i'm playing as a Tenno, not a wizard. So with that i came up with some suggestions i think would really change the face of the game.

Martial arts elements are very important to the feel and appearance of being a ninja. Parkour and acrobatics are not enough. Martial arts skills should be highly rewarding and effective if used correctly and mastered with real experience and learning curve. Things you can master in practice to turn you into an impressive reflex machine. For those who actually want to pick up and learn these, make for much much more depth for gameplay and turn warframe combat into much less of a grind.

DE said before that they were thinking about making passive and or active skills that all Tenno can use universally. I feel like this is a great spot for martial arts techniques. Heres just some brainstormed ideas that can be used as mods.

PASSIVES (Stamina based)

Counter Attack: Can counter oncoming melee attacks if timed correctly with a block. (Includes Rollers.)

Dexterity: Deflect projectiles back at attackers if timed correctly. If held, has a chance to deflect more ranged attacks.

Deft Spike: A thrusting kick that knocks back an enemy. Can bowl into other enemies. (crouch + melee keystrokes?) (ignores armor)

Rung: While airborne, can use the top of an enemy to bounce forwards.

Fling: Shove knocked down enemies into the air.

Cling: Allows you to suspend yourself to surfaces other than the ground. (Upgrading decreases stamina consumption.)

ACTIVE (Consumes low amounts of energy)

Windmill kick: Sweeping kicks that knock down or stun most enemies in front of you in melee range.

Shatter: Can grab an enemy and overhand slam them into the ground. (Does extra damage to armored targets.)

Izuna Drop: Can pull airborne targets into the ground for massive damage.

I'll likely come back and add more later. While i'm aware of a plethora of fictional martial arts and ninja moves, you have to take into consideration which ones could fit into warframe without breaking the game. I also dont think a bunch of moves that revolve too heavily around doing combos is worthwhile, this isnt a fighting game, long winded combos are a waste of time and make you a sitting duck.

Edited by Onite

Thee ideas are bad &#!. Fingers cross that some of them get implemented. 

Thank you. I'm hoping changes like this would divert people from just blowing up rooms with 100 energy abilities over and over to actually using combat moves.

I wanna see a rhino do a freakin izuna drop on the enemies after his ultimate. That would be so hardcore.

Btw where did you see this martial arts idea from de? Its always good to have sources to stuff you say.

I never said they mentioned martial arts. I said they mentioned they thought about adding more active abilities to the game that were universal across all warframes. I said it would be cool for some of them to be martial arts moves.

Being able to  some form of combo would be good, even something as simple as killing an enemy with a charged/crit melee will make the next attack a crit.

EDIT: Bit off topic, but make some reason to use longswords over dual or heavy - being able to more effectively perform martial arts perhaps?

Edited by Foxtrot_VII

I like the idea of martial arts, but I am worried lately with the scythe and all I have been seeing more flashy silly martial arts and not real and effective martial arts. Less anime twirls and more bone breaking. I wanna see some real Bushido (sumurai) and Ninjutsu (...ninja) techniques.

I like the idea of martial arts, but I am worried lately with the scythe and all I have been seeing more flashy silly martial arts and not real and effective martial arts. Less anime twirls and more bone breaking. I wanna see some real Bushido (sumurai) and Ninjutsu (...ninja) techniques.

Thats why i thought alot of moves should be armor piercing. It makes armored targets succumb to Tenno that know how to melee. While some of this stuff might look cool, alot of it is executed by scenario and quick reflexes, and should kill targets of difficulty if executed correctly.

I agree with Ravihn though. Flying face kicks are cool, but I wanna be able to pin a Grineer sawman's arm behind his back and shove his weapon through his spine before pushing him into his friends.

Thats pretty OP. That could only be done as something like a finishing move, and conditions have to be met for finishing moves. And for how many enemies you kill in one mission alone, seeing the same finishing moves being done over and over again loses its pizazz pretty quickly not to mention, setting up and taking the time for the finishing move its an annoyance.

There is one thing that makes killing enemies extremely satisfying, and thats gore. Which tons of that can be accomplished with alot of these moves if they become fatal hits. Doing an izuna drop and seeing your victim's head come off with a scream is pretty brutal. Gore also has so much inconsistent variation which keeps it interesting.

Sawmen are already made of glass though, so having the option to hit them with a specific counter-attack when you so choose would hardly break the game. Considering we can already kill them in one hit from 30 yards anyway, minus the crowd-control aspect of dumping their corpse on somebody.

Sawmen are already made of glass though, so having the option to hit them with a specific counter-attack when you so choose would hardly break the game. Considering we can already kill them in one hit from 30 yards anyway, minus the crowd-control aspect of dumping their corpse on somebody.

I hope you seriously dont want a move put into the game that only works on grineer sawmen. I'm having a hard time understanding the point of this on top of your first post.

Or anyone else that tries to attack you in melee. It's pretty much ninja standard that if somebody tries to hit/cut/stab you, you get them by the wrist and put them into a submission hold. Every other ninja game/movie/comic has it xD

Or anyone else that tries to attack you in melee. It's pretty much ninja standard that if somebody tries to hit/cut/stab you, you get them by the wrist and put them into a submission hold. Every other ninja game/movie/comic has it xD

But thats basically the purpose of a counter attack, and the options you have to take advantage after successful counters. I want to see things move farther away from the one buttom does all mentality. I dont want the game to turn into a button masher, but i think it would be nice that if you were skillfully mashing buttons for the right moves, your effort would show for it in game for an impressive effect.

Still though,considering the large amount of enemies you face at one time wouldn't throws and melee combat used on just one person at a time kinda suck?(I do see the potential fun of melee and or non ability based combat.just noticed is all )

Still though,considering the large amount of enemies you face at one time wouldn't throws and melee combat used on just one person at a time kinda suck?(I do see the potential fun of melee and or non ability based combat.just noticed is all )

Corpus crewman and nearly all grineer use cover effectively. They also spread out alot. Theres also times when they hang out in wait outside of closed doors, especially elevators. Moas also love to get in your face. So kicking say, shockwave moas can save you from their stomp if you are unable to quickly kill them. One of the biggest holes in combat i've experienced is that the 3rd person in this game makes aiming at things more and more difficult in scale with how close it is to you. So melee could definitely cover that gap if polished on. I also mentioned alot of moves that stun or knock down, like deft kick being able to "bowl" one enemy into others nearby, it buys you time and allows you to better digest close crowds. Melee isnt always an offensive angle, its also evasive if you use it to escape. Especially Rung. The fact that these are all presented as mods makes it so you can pick and choose to really customize to your playstyle.

Edited by Onite

I really like these ideas. I'm not sure how Fling would work, in a physical sense, though. Might just be my lack of imagination. Oh, and I think Shatter should have a knockback effect on the surrounding enemies (maybe the same range, or slightly larger than the jump+melee attack?). I don't know about you, but I tend to get swarmed a lot by all three factions, and giving you a moment to recover from the action would make life a lot easier. Also, these animations should be short and sweet. No point in pulling off some drawn out maneuver  that gets you killed because everyone's just shooting you while you show how badass you are.

Animations would probably be as fast as toned down metal gear rising (not absurdishly cool fast like regular attack strings)I kinda get that vibe from most un modded weapons.as far as aesthetics go anyway.

I really like these ideas. I'm not sure how Fling would work, in a physical sense, though. Might just be my lack of imagination. Oh, and I think Shatter should have a knockback effect on the surrounding enemies (maybe the same range, or slightly larger than the jump+melee attack?). I don't know about you, but I tend to get swarmed a lot by all three factions, and giving you a moment to recover from the action would make life a lot easier. Also, these animations should be short and sweet. No point in pulling off some drawn out maneuver  that gets you killed because everyone's just shooting you while you show how badass you are.

I had the intent in my idea for quick fast effective combat moves. Moves that are as quick as most melee swings. I really hate over stale things that leave you hanging. Also as for physics. Alot of moves already fling around and put people in the air. I mean, look at vauban's jump pad move. Rhino's stomp, Mag's ultimate. Being able to force enemies around with precision can be good if you know what you're doing, especially if it leads into heavier attacks. Like if you implement moves that deal heavy damage but can only target stunned or downed opponents.