Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rush To Boss/rush To Extraction Criticism

Tangerine

People rush boss missions because the understanding is that everyone is there for one reason: To kill the boss for his drops. Most of the things the OP suggests wouldn't work because killing the boss would (likely) be more efficient considering you have to kill him anyway. The only thing that might compete with this is if there was a secret room that held more of the rare materials or Warframe BP's than you can get from the boss. In which case the mission will become "Race to the vault" instead of "Race to the boss".

Warfame is marketed as a co-op third person action shooter, or something along those lines. Mainly the words.....

CO OP. Cooperation. aka Operation in tandem. aka teamwork, aka sticking together, aka not rushing.

It seems Americans (speaking as one) have a fear of punishment. They don't punish their kids, their politicians, their businessmen, their real criminals. Games aren't punishing enough anymore either. It's all about incentive! reward! unlock every level! "rare" items being rare only by being designated as such. It's time to hop off this ineffective horse of "reward players and they'll do what they should". I'm all for punishing people for rushing. They RUIN. THE. GAME. the COOPERATIVE game that is warframe. It actually makes sense.

If they keep failing trying to rush, or keep finding themselves getting reported for rushing, maybe they'll learn that they're playing wrong and stop and actually work together, since it seems incentives are no longer working.

It is still a design problem.  There are lots of co-op games where this isn't a problem because the difficulty is designed for co-op and rushing in alone would just get you killed.  Incentives, difficulty, separating the matchmaking are all good ideas.  But when the design actually encourages max efficiency by rushing, I can't really find fault when other people rush ahead of me.

With all the Rusher v Explore thread and general complaining about slide nerfs this is a very welcome thought.

I know that nobody I play with, and the majority of Online players I group with have any issues moving, even the Frost/Rhino's. The issue seems to be centered on players who are at 'end-game'. It seems they would rather 'ruin' the fun of newer players so they get their rewards quickly. I use quotes because I believe neither is a true concept.

Now keep in mind I am not saying that they are doing it maliciously, nor are those who explore trying to "thwart the rusher" it's just an example of two very different playstyles clashing against one another. Biggest thing I could think to introduce skill to movement is stun/slow abilities. Not auto-target ones though the Scorpion is hilarious when she ganks a Loki out of the air.

I guessed there would be a topic here on rushing.

Seems to be a problem in most missions whether there is a boss or not. Frequently folks tend to clear off in a lift leaving others behind, or aggro a load of mobs and then belt off with a higher sprint value leaving the rest of us to fend them off. Frankly as others have noted it makes it more of an uncooperative game. Having some doors that require 2 people to open them at the same time is at least something, but still tends to leave others behind. There needs to be far more required of multiple players and consistently too.

The most obvious thing which im amazed doesnt seem to exist is keeping player levels close. Higher level players are clearly being dumped in with lower levels, based on the damage they are doing and the speed of it too. I realise that with players spread across various levels that you wont always be able to find players at same level for missions, but it is a pain. Also, in the past i've been happily moving through a mission at a good pace seemingly same-levelled co-operative players and i suddenly get a host migration message and dumped into a diff version with players all over the place. Aside from completely screwing with my bearings, why the need to split a good team? I also realise that many of the layouts are very similar just with different mobs/starting points etc. but if i'm playing a particular mission for the first time, i like to see the place, explore and complete the objectives along the way. Instead it feels hurried and either get left behind exploring and trying to help my team-mates/stragglers, or trying to keep up with the lead-runner and have the squad spread all over the place.

If there is not going to be a capping on player levels in the same mission, why not restrict sprint to solo missions, or at most a short burst allowed as a special. If all players are moving the same speed we go a long way to killing this team-separation off and making it an actual co-op game. There is no major need for it anyway. If you're rushing to the boss ahead of your team-mates you evidently don't need them present, so do it on solo. If you do need team-mates you dont need to sprint away from them. You dont need to run away from mobs as the whole point is to kill them and the only time i've come across areas with large tracts of space with no mobs or interaction is after killing all enemies and running back to extraction, so by all means allow sprint on mission completion for the run back.

As always just my thoughts :)

Edited by Matthammer