Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Xbox 360 Help

PickleMonster21

So maybe there are a few technological smarties here. Let's try something.

So I wanna play my 360 again because not all games are backwards compatible yet. So I go to plug my HDMI cord from my Xbox One into my 360. Now, the TV it picking something up (HDMI 1 is highlighted as if things are happening on that channel) but nothing more than "No signal" is being displayed.

Now, I HAVE Google'd the problem. All I managed to find was "Is the cord good? Maybe it's the TV", but I know it's not that.
- It's a brand new HDMI Cord that works perfectly fine with my Xbox One
- It's not the TV because, as stated before, it works perfectly fine with the Xbox One.
The only variable is where the cord is plugged into, and since it works fine on the Xbox One, it's clear to say the Xbox 360 is at fault.

Is this something I'm gonna need to get fixed by an expert? Or are there ways I may be able to do a home repair? Any advice that isn't:

"Throw it out a window"
"Get a PS3"
"Get a PS4"
"Maybe it's the cord"
"Maybe it's the TV"
"#PCMasterRace"

would be appreciated.

All you can do is check the connection, make sure there's no dust or any other foreign objects in the HDMI slot, there are other things that can cause the 360 not to startup even when it's correctly plugged in, e.g. HDD not in properly (for the later models), PSU issues, etc. There is a way to enter safe mode on the off chance that the 360 has had it's system data corrupted, and using that you can make it restart or revert the OS to it's original update, but I can't think of the combination for it right now.

Have you tried using RCA cables? I thought that was an option on the 360 as well. It might not be the cable, but where it plugs in at.

I don't have mine anymore xD Once you get HDMI, it's either HDMI or nothing xD Anything else is just... *shudders* no thank you.

I'm pretty sure it's the HDMI Port, but still... I thought I'd see if I could get a second opinion, so thank you :)

I don't have mine anymore xD Once you get HDMI, it's either HDMI or nothing xD Anything else is just... *shudders* no thank you.

I'm pretty sure it's the HDMI Port, but still... I thought I'd see if I could get a second opinion, so thank you :)

Your 360 RCA connection slot can also take a component cable and output at 720p same as the HDMI. However that requires getting a component cable for the 360, which if it isn't just the HDMI port, wouldn't be worth the money.

One thing I have to ask is: is the 360 booting up? or is it just sitting idle with the HDMI output, because one of the common issues you can get is the 360 has to make a handshake connection to the TV before it can boot up via HDMI, if that connection cannot be established for whatever reason then it simply wont boot. If the 360 is in fact booting up without signal then there's something pretty seriously wrong with the hardware.

Your 360 RCA connection slot can also take a component cable and output at 720p same as the HDMI. However that requires getting a component cable for the 360, which if it isn't just the HDMI port, wouldn't be worth the money.

One thing I have to ask is: is the 360 booting up? or is it just sitting idle with the HDMI output, because one of the common issues you can get is the 360 has to make a handshake connection to the TV before it can boot up via HDMI, if that connection cannot be established for whatever reason then it simply wont boot. If the 360 is in fact booting up without signal then there's something pretty seriously wrong with the hardware.

Well the Xbox starts up. I plug the HDMI into the Xbox and it does that circular pattern thing as if it's made that handshake connection to the TV, and I can connect controllers to it, but nothing displays.

So I start the Xbox, no HDMI plugged in. It starts up then the little circle displays that start up thing it does, then lets me know the power is on with the green icon in the center. I'll then plug the HDMI in and it'll do the circular pattern and then I'm able to connect my controllers. but there's no display.

Putting it like that, it's making me think it's something internal, that's been knocked out of place or just died due to it being an old console. It was one of the first of it's kind. The Arcade, I think it's called. -- After a brief research, this console is 8 years old. The Xbox Arcade which came out in 2007.

Edited by PickleMonster21

Ohh, it's an arcade.. Yeah, good luck with that, those were notoriously unreliable. My arcade died literally 1 day out of warranty, the fans burnt out and the disc holder warped which made the disc touch the roof of the 360, the disc fragmented throughout the 360 and tore apart the motherboard... as you can imagine I was pretty angry, and that 360 was made into many, many little pieces.

However, there is one more possibility, this happens a lot with my Samsung tv, most people wont try it because it doesn't make much sense, but try leaving the 360 plugged in, turning off the tv at the wall for 20 seconds and turning it back on. What this does is forced the tv to reset the aspect ratio. because sometimes the tv won't automatically do it properly when switching between input sources and/or cables.

Ohh, it's an arcade.. Yeah, good luck with that, those were notoriously unreliable. My arcade died literally 1 day out of warranty, the fans burnt out and the disc holder warped which made the disc touch the roof of the 360, the disc fragmented throughout the 360 and tore apart the motherboard... as you can imagine I was pretty angry, and that 360 was made into many, many little pieces.

However, there is one more possibility, this happens a lot with my Samsung tv, most people wont try it because it doesn't make much sense, but try leaving the 360 plugged in, turning off the tv at the wall for 20 seconds and turning it back on. What this does is forced the tv to reset the aspect ratio. because sometimes the tv won't automatically do it properly when switching between input sources and/or cables.

My Arcade has done a perfect job until now, and I've had it since the Christmas of 07 xD So that's pretty much a solid 8 years with no issues with it. UNTIL NOW!!

6VU1gIp.jpg

Anyway, I'll give that a try. Let's see what we get...

There is one more possibility, this happens a lot with my Samsung tv, most people wont try it because it doesn't make much sense, but try leaving the 360 plugged in, turning off the tv at the wall for 20 seconds and turning it back on. What this does is forced the tv to reset the aspect ratio. because sometimes the tv won't automatically do it properly when switching between input sources and/or cables.

Ohh denied. It said it was connecting. and then "No signal". So it knows it's there. Either it's just not picking up the display.(unlikely) or the 360 isn't projecting one.

Ohh denied. It said it was connecting. and then "No signal". So it knows it's there. Either it's just not picking up the display.(unlikely) or the 360 isn't projecting one.

Yeah, aside from the disc tray which needed adjustment and the HDD that was a little buggy from new my elite ran well for 5 years, I ended up giving it away and getting one of those mini xbone 360s because the cost of a new old style HDD was insultingly high, so I bought a new system that gave me a game, controller and a headset for only 30 bucks more than the old models overpriced HDD.

Anyway, if it's a first party game, you can be sure the xbone will get B/C pretty soon, if not you can likely get a better version of the game on PC anyway.

Anyway, if it's a first party game, you can be sure the xbone will get B/C pretty soon, if not you can likely get a better version of the game on PC anyway.

I was thinking about playing a Spider-Man game I got just for a change in game play, but now I can't and it is basically just a waste of money at this point. This lead me to wanting to play [Prototype], which, of course, is on my 360 xD Most my games are on 360. I haven't bought many Xbox One games because, in terms of Graphics, they look absolutely great, but for gameplay, mainly the single player mode, they all seem underwhelming with the exception of Halo 5 and Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. Maybe I should invest in Assassin's Creed Rogue, Unity and/or Syndicate.

Rogue maybe, but do not waste money on Unity or syndicate. Pirate simulator is the only good assassins creed this gen. Also I can't believe 343 launched H5 without forge... bad enough they cut a number of other vital features from the game. I might get an xbone when Reach gets added to BC, microsoft have announced it will be soon. Kind of a shame to throw away my new 360 since there's nothing wrong with it though.

Rogue maybe, but do not waste money on Unity or syndicate. Pirate simulator is the only good assassins creed this gen. Also I can't believe 343 launched H5 without forge... bad enough they cut a number of other vital features from the game. I might get an xbone when Reach gets added to BC, microsoft have announced it will be soon. Kind of a shame to throw away my new 360 since there's nothing wrong with it though.

Thanks for the heads up :P

Forge should be added before the year's out. It's been announced. I think there just wasn't enough room on the disk to fit in everything they wanted to.