Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Wallrunning Ever Be Fixed?

Tangerine

It's rubbery, it's weird, there's no sense of momentum, it's glitchy as all hell. Letting go of spacebar should just drop you down normally, pressing it while wall running should make you jump and holding it after you've reached your peak should let you slide down slowly (like it does right now).

In fact will movement ever be fixed? Sprinting/jumping right now feels, again, very rubbery. It's okay but it can be MUCH better. Platforming is a huge pain right now because momentum is all over the place.

Edited by Tangerine

Yeah, movement in general needs some work. Especially this "in air" thing that affects usage of some skills, occasional inability to jump, unresponsive sprint button/ roll being on sprint button. They should move roll to another key, or make double tapping a direction roll. The latter would make it easier to backflip or side roll (wouldn't have to aim first).

Weird, I like it the way it is. Must be me then.

General movement is fine but there are plenty of kinks.

Momentum when jumping/falling.

Everything about wallrunning.

The delay between sprinting and normal movement (just a bit shorter, since it's obvious they're going for weighty movement)

Air sliding into a wall should allow you to press space and kick off it

Dodge needs a short invincibility frame(s) so it actually becomes a dodge

etc.

One of the reasons I'd really like to see that obstacle course added to dojos.

And, of course, actually being able to build stuff in the dojo.

As is, all the parcours stuff is simply too annoying to use except for a few bits (grineer asteroid section with the pipes and one wall-run to a ledge for one).

Edited by UncommonUnicorn

The parkour stuff is really, really annoying.  They need to tighten up the controls, and reduce the delays in certain things like jumping.  They also desperately need to move sprint/roll to seperate keys and make wall running/jumping better in some way, as it is now its 100% worthless except for the times you are forced to do it, then its a complete pain and sucks the fun right out of the game.  IMO they don't need to focus this game on ninja movement, they need to iterate out the wallrunning stuff and make it more static, just completely disable it on most surfaces except for a few and move it to a simpler system with a bit of automation because I dont think it will ever have any "tactical depth" or anything like that.  The core design of the gameplay just doesn't have any place for it, and they shouldn't try to shoehorn it in except for a few spots just for the visual enjoyment of it.

The parkour stuff is really, really annoying.  They need to tighten up the controls, and reduce the delays in certain things like jumping.  They also desperately need to move sprint/roll to seperate keys and make wall running/jumping better in some way, as it is now its 100% worthless except for the times you are forced to do it, then its a complete pain and sucks the fun right out of the game.  IMO they don't need to focus this game on ninja movement, they need to iterate out the wallrunning stuff and make it more static, just completely disable it on most surfaces except for a few and move it to a simpler system with a bit of automation because I dont think it will ever have any "tactical depth" or anything like that.  The core design of the gameplay just doesn't have any place for it, and they shouldn't try to shoehorn it in except for a few spots just for the visual enjoyment of it.

I think the opposite.

There is a lot of potential for the wall run.

The problem I see is the criteria for using it needs to be slacked back.

If people could just sprint, and jump at a wall and start running up or along it without having to be in the perfect position on the ground first, I would think it would see a lot more use.

The game already currently has something like that as part of the wall jump. if you are already wall running and jump from one wall to another, you will instantly grip onto that wall and keep running. if wall running was just that simple to execute from the ground without that whole perfect timing thing you need now it could be used a lot more spontaneously by players.

Edited by basiliskeye

I don't have any problem wall running, but my issue with it is the movement is sticky. If you're sprinting along and press jump to wall run, the game waits to attach your feet to the wall first, which makes your guy pause in mid air for a bit, then he starts to wall run. That pause breaks the momentum and makes it feel like you magically stuck to a wall diagonally with your feet. Even for a crazy space ninja, that's a stretch.

Of course, my coworker has serious trouble wall running and calls it unreliable and glitchy. I took the time to observe him playing while at work (we're game devs, we can play games at work :P), and I realize why he had such a hard time wall running. He kept pressing toward the wall right when he got up to the wall, which meant his player model would instantly turn toward the wall. This killed the 45-ish degrees you need to wall run, and made him face the wall and run straight up. He said that was what you should do to wall run. I didn't agree. We both use keyboard/mouse to play, and I do think this is not an issue with the game pad since it's analog stick controlled so you will always just run where you point the stick. On keyboard, holding W to run then pressing A suddenly makes your guy turn, so it's a little odd. Doesn't happen to me though since I don't press A suddenly to attach to the wall, but it's an important note for the devs that some people may do that. My coworker considers A and D strafe, whereas it's clearly not while outside of aiming.

So to the OP, I do agree on some points. The rubbery/sticky wall running is due to the system attaching the player to a wall, and that's on the programmers to tweak, with feedback from animation if it looks good. I love wall flinging, but they should probably just make it so you press jump to fling. Letting go should just stop wall running, not fling you a million miles; leave that to people who want to do it in purpose with the jump key.