The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

'double-Edged Sword' Mods

PBingu

Does anyone else think it would be good to add mods that have both 'positive' and 'negative' attributes at the same time?

I'd imagine these probably using fewer mod slots than the existing ones to offset the downsides.

For example, you could increase accuracy at the cost of reduced rate of fire; melee damage for swing speed; elemental damage boost for physical damage reduction; increased run speed for reduced armor and so on.

The only problem with this that I can see is that it could reduce the differences and increase the overlap between different weapons/frames, but then again that simply means it adds choices to the player.

Thoughts, gentletenno?

I believe DE have intentions of delving into this area, as they have stated they wish to release dual stat Mods and different mod tiers/strengths.

Personally, I think it would be interesting, as it goes into a metagame of deciding whether to try and improve a Warframe's Weaknesses, or whether you acknowledge their weaknesses, and focus on improving their strengths.

The dual stat mods from pre U7 is what I'm hoping for (as with regards to what the OP said, these mods were + +, and with regards to what Scott said during the Livestream, it can be a Vitality mod that has a knockdown recovery [Vitality + Handspring] or knockdown immunity [Vitality + ???])

+ - however, will definitely push for player creativity for their builds, as long as the gain is reasonable enough.

I read the end as, genital tenno.

Well, them too...

I actually like this idea tho, but what would happen to mods like Presure point? Will that be the mod getting affected by the sword swing thing? Or will it be a completely new mod? 

Pressure Point's quite a good example really of what I was thinking: at the moment it's relatively lacklustre and most people use charge attacks for damage, but I imagine DE have crunched the numbers and found that increasing its % could quickly unbalance normal attack damage when coupled with high level Fury etc.

A new, additional mod that offered significantly higher +MeleeDmg% but also had -attackspeed% could therefore offer the option of making normal melee attacks actually do decent damage, but limit how much it could be exploited.

Those were just off the cuff suggestions though - positive could be +melee damage or even convert to armour ignoring, and the negative could be swing speed or stamina use or even range.

Glad to hear DE have talked about this before; I only joined at Open Beta launch and haven't read up on *everything* that happened before yet!

From my experience with path of exile, I don't really like when something has positive and negative stats. It may specialize your equipment, but I'd rather it were a simple upgrade.

They can have both you know. You can have a straight upgrade mod, or a mod that has a better upgrade but also a negative.