Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Toggle Sprint Must Be Implemented

Kiyosuki

I know it's been said before, but it should be said again; this feature should be right at the top of the list of control improvements to be made.

Today I made a topic in the bugs forum describing how when I started playing Warframe a month ago, the left stick on my Rock Candy 360 controller actually toggled sprint by default. I thought this was a feature, and that it was odd that in the settings, run/sprint wasn't set to anything. When I finally did mess with settings a bit for the heck of it, I changed sprint/roll to a button and was surprised to find that you do actually have to hold it to run. When I set it back to default, sprint just simply didn't work. I went as far as to reinstall Warframe and all associated cookies and files and got that toggle run back again.

I don't know what it is, maybe it's this controller or my computer but obviously it's a fluke of some sort, judging from how often I've read people complaining about holding the button. My point is that...it shouldn't be a fluke. Having tried this game with the sprint/run button the regular hold way...it's so much more clunkier that it's almost like playing a different game. Being able to toggle sprint lets you do really creative things with slide that when doing it the way it is now, would be really taxing on your thumb if using a pad...and probably just annoying for KBM. I'm so glad to have it back even if it's a weird fluke that I don't dare touch that setting again.

If there's a problem with what you do with roll in that case, then that's easy. Just simply have a "hold run/sprint" button AND a "toggle sprint" button setting. That way...you could probably keep one or the other default, but players can have the option of switching between the two to fit their liking or perhaps even mapping them to two separate buttons like I definitely would if it didn't remove this convenient improvised toggle I have for some reason. I really can't reiterate enough how much more comfortable this makes the control scheme so I really recommend doing this.

Kind of an aside too, but I just have to get it off my chest. I'm not sure why changing weapon on a pad is set to Y while blocking is D-Pad up. Switching those two makes it much, much easier to use block more often and most importantly...while moving, and it makes a certain bit of consistency sense to have switching your weapon be on the D pad along with other item related prompts. It's not a big deal since we can change it in the settings, but I do think that would be a better default.

Anyways keep up the great work and thanks for all.

Edited by Kiyosuki

I would like a smart sprint function, like most games of the past decade;

If you're running in a relatively straight line, it keeps sprinting

If you turn a corner, or fall off a cliff, or swing a weapon, it stops sprinting.

After a bit more investigating it turns out that toggle sprint is not currently in place but is something we are actively looking at possibly putting in down the road. 

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the confusion.