The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Dark Sword Worth It?

Invincible1

Question

I am a mastery rank 2 player, fairly new. I have built dual heat sword not so long ago. It's sitting at level 16.

I got a dark sword drop on void when I played with my friend.

My question is should I make it? I have the required components for it.

Or should I use the hard earned Neurodes to build something other than this.

Please help.

10 answers to this question

If you have the slots and neurodes to spare then go for it. I would argue it's the second best of the one handed longswords (the first being the plasma sword with it's only slightly lower charge damage and ridiculous crit rate). Also, it looks badass.

Unless you intend to use it for anything other than mastery rank it's probably not worth it though until you have a few resources/slots laying around.

But, isn't the dual heat sword the best (afaik) for infested?

Pretty much all melee weapons except daggers and blunt weapons (fragor etc.) are good against infested. Most swords of any kind are 'slashing' damage and get a 3x damage bonus to infested (excluding ancients)

Non bladed weapons (fragor, bo etc.) get the 'blunt' damage type which just ignores all damage reduction rules (i.e does full 100% damage in most cases).

daggers (except for ether daggers) get a damage type called 'piercing' which ignores damage reduction rules and does 1.5* damage against medium grineer (lancers etc.) but only 0.5* damage to infested 

Edited by Segolia

It's really up to you if just want the look of dark sword or not. Though if you were to compare these two the dual heat sword would come out ahead.

Since you are mastery rank 2 if you don't have the boltor already you might want to build it with the two nuerodes.

But, isn't the dual heat sword the best (afaik) for infested?

It's because infested come in mobs, and DHS does multihit both for normal and charge attack. For single target, DS does better because of fast charge speed.

Both of their AoE does well in surrounding enemies, though...

It's really up to you if just want the look of dark sword or not. Though if you were to compare these two the dual heat sword would come out ahead.

Since you are mastery rank 2 if you don't have the boltor already you might want to build it with the two nuerodes.

I have a Braton already lvl 20 should I switch to boltor. I heard they are not much different.

In terms of performance and damage output the Dark Sword isn't the best compared to other swords TBH. But it does do charged attacks well, 125 base charge damage (get that higher with Killing Blow), and it looks absolutely eeeevil. >:D

I have mine potatoed, no regrets.

The Dark Sword is an interesting weapon. If you use your melee weapons almost exclusively in charge mode you're going to be choosing between this and the Plasma Sword. It has really slow slashing attacks however so if you prefer those you're not going to like this sword. The Dark Sword has a large AOE area, and a neat trick of applying it's elemental damage *during* the charging phase. This can be quite helpful in stun locking a Corpus so he doesn't get away while you're charging.

The high charge damage and Crit chance, coupled with Shade's Ghost and or Loki's Invisibility make this weapon excellent at taking out single enemies at a time and makes you feel like the invisible assassin, while the AOE damage will let you stagger large groups. But if you like to turn Loki invisible and just hack your way through a whole room of Infested, or if you like to whack that one Lancer with a quick slash as you run past him, this is not your sword.