Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ark Survival Evolved Discussion

JohnMarkLee

This is mostly going to be about the PS4 version coming out in the summer. Xbox version is getting a splitscreen feature in an upcoming update so this must mean the PS4 version is getting one too. This is great news because Im a big splitscreen lover. I didn't buy two controllers for nothing. It was also confirmed to support Sony's new VR headset, former Project Morpheus and now officially named Playstation VR. Any comments, ideas or questions? (Im not really here to answer questions though lol...)

About the VR thing it would be cool to take it to a whole new level with VR couch coop. Both you and your friend both have VR headsets and play in the same room playing the same game without having to splitscreen. That would be amazing. 

Edited by JohnMarkLee

This is mostly going to be about the PS4 version coming out in the summer. Xbox version is getting a splitscreen feature in an upcoming update so this must mean the PS4 version is getting one too. This is great news because Im a big splitscreen lover. I didn't buy two controllers for nothing. It was also confirmed to support Sony's new VR headset, former Project Morpheus and now officially named Playstation VR. Any comments, ideas or questions? (Im not really here to answer questions though lol...)

About the VR thing it would be cool to take it to a whole new level with VR couch coop. Both you and your friend both have VR headsets and play in the same room playing the same game without having to splitscreen. That would be amazing. 

Considering the processing power required just to run VR, I doubt it will support VR plus splitscreen.

Also Ark is still a mess with its engine. I still can't run it on high settings with a GTX980, let alone ultra. It's incredibly buggy too, I wouldn't rush into it if I were you. It's a good concept but it still plays like an alpha.

My personal criticism about this game:

Customization is great, lots of work to go around with, either you want to start a midget muscular man or a tall but lanky plank that fits into your role, which is good immersion. 1st-Person Camera follows the height of your character.

Almost every tool is made from scratch, and all of the items you get from beacons also exist in your crafting loadout. It's also funny when you get yourself stoned by eating random berries without knowing.

The Clan is what got my attention on how a village should properly work. Each person can be specialized in doing a job and rewards them in casual careers, such as Crafting, Healing and Taming instead of beating the socks out of dinosaurs for Exp alone.

The Negative side, boring as crud, especially in an offline server.

Levelling is limited to how you can craft your items and specify which traits, you only get 1 stat increase in each level but I don't know if this feature is remedied recently, should you build on yourself while towering dinosaurs can simply squash you on sight, especially where your character is literally sleeping in a camp.

While Online, Dying makes it even more punishing as you die either by previously mentioned or players, when they steal your stuff and use them to kill you repeatedly. Survival Beacons only makes the fight irreversibly a "Survival to the Fittest" punch-fest to no avail that can be easily the most frustrating battle.

As with all "Online Survival" franchises, you legitimately sacrifice hours of your lifetime just to spend effort of build your own dream camp/character/dinosaur collection until they grind themselves to dust by other grinding players and shove it all to your face as you cry out for wasted efforts.

I will not recommend anyone playing this risky genre called "Online Survival", as long as there are players who will negatively destroy your grind just to get theirs the easy way.

Edited by Freelancer27