Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Type Suggestion: Spear

TheGambler_BR

Melee weapons that have great range, but do not attack in an arc. Can be aimed (thrust where you point your mouse).

Charge attack would pierce through multiple enemies in its range, damaging them, and have an even greater range. Also, Armor Pierce.

Jump strike would also add a new movement. Instead of a AoE shockwave, a directed shockwave that travels the ground with greatly extended range. Think Magnus from Dota (http://youtu.be/VFCLmTcr1p8?t=22s)

Said attack could knock down enemies when hit.

Melee mods would apply normally, as they do for heavy weapons.

Yes I love it!  MAY WE PLEASE HAVE POLE ARMS DE?  Pretty please?

Warframe isnt Diablo and shouldnt ever turn into it. The RPG path leads to less flexibility and fun. It just leads to mindless farming and just managing numbers. Warframe should be more based on combat, acrobatics, hack and slash elements and stealth options. The gameplay reminds me of when i first played Halo:Combat Evolved, It was a great campaign game. But with the later updates with warframe, its been feeling more like how i just ran the secret cow level over and over and over in diablo 2 looking for loot from an RNG.

Point being, the more we just start throwing melee weapons and crap into the game nilly willy that are duplicates or reskins of other weapons that are slightly better, the more we're just going to make a linear farming ladder. Polearms dont fit in with Warframe because this isnt feudal japan/Dynasty Warriors. Theres also not a smooth way to have a giant polearm on your back. Even if it contracts and expands in on itself, the animation for it on swing is going to be wierd. It just all points to that weapons like this are only going to drastically change the feel of warframe for the worse. Lances are different because they're strictly for thrusting attacks. They are also NOT bladed weapons, they also wouldnt look $&*&*#(%& if they expanded or contracted due to the fact that a thrusting animation wouldnt make the weapon look like a whip, unlike polearms.

(FYI, before and in case of witty rebuttal of "NUH UH, THEY CAN BE LIKE 'X size.'  Then its NOT a polearm. Polearms are like twice the leangth of something like fragor or scindo. And granted that you cant even attack while moving backwards at the same time, the control of your character in the game would render polearms useless. You can be precise and kill things at range with melee, with exception to the glaive because it travels in one direction like a projectile.)

Edited by Onite

I don't get why people are constantly trying to turn Warframe into LoL, Dota, or Diablo. Seriously, those are all very different types of games from Warframe, and a lot of the stuff that worked in them simply won't work in this game.

That being said, a spear weapon could be interesting, if done right. :D

I don't get why people are constantly trying to turn Warframe into LoL, Dota, or Diablo. Seriously, those are all very different types of games from Warframe, and a lot of the stuff that worked in them simply won't work in this game.

That being said, a spear weapon could be interesting, if done right. :D

Nowhere did I mention I'd like to turn the game into Dota... :/

I only used it as a reference, to exemplify the "shockwave" from a jump attack. English isn't my main language, so I have to resort to that sort of stuff :)

I only used it as a reference, to exemplify the "shockwave" from a jump attack. English isn't my main language, so I have to resort to that sort of stuff :)

When someone references those games when talking about something that they want added into this game, I tend to get the impression that they want this game to be like the referenced game(s). If this was incorrect, I apologize, but I can't help but get that feeling.

Its still like league of legends because you want to detract from gunplay and drive the game more towards using skills and melee and special melee attacks. Thats not warframe and shouldnt be. Warframe is a run and gun with melee. You play as a ninja, not a frontline magic soldier from league. I honestly dont think Warframe needs more visuals or crap going on either. People are spamming skills and melee more now than they do bullets. And its sad. Because its the lazy path of not having to shoot things when you can just easily land hits or spam abilities to kill things. You cant argue that "well thats a different style of gameplay other people choose." because its turning warframe into a high reward, no risk breeze. It also kills gunplay. When that happens, that starts changing the core of the game.

Its still like league of legends because you want to detract from gunplay and drive the game more towards using skills and melee and special melee attacks. Thats not warframe and shouldnt be. Warframe is a run and gun with melee. You play as a ninja, not a frontline magic soldier from league. I honestly dont think Warframe needs more visuals or crap going on either. People are spamming skills and melee more now than they do bullets. And its sad. Because its the lazy path of not having to shoot things when you can just easily land hits or spam abilities to kill things. You cant argue that "well thats a different style of gameplay other people choose." because its turning warframe into a high reward, no risk breeze. It also kills gunplay. When that happens, that starts changing the core of the game.

In one line, you say you play as a ninja, in another like you complain about killing gunplay. I didn't realize ninjas were known for their gunplay, I thought it was all about melee and stealth for them.

Shows how much I know. :/

In one line, you say you play as a ninja, in another like you complain about killing gunplay. I didn't realize ninjas were known for their gunplay, I thought it was all about melee and stealth for them.

Shows how much I know. :/

I'm pretty sure if ninjas of our imagination and fantasy existed in the same moment of time that conventional firearms did, they would use them. And they would use them beautifully while running along walls, flipping through the air, sliding, even in close proximity. Sound like Warframe? Nope. Because Warframe is about MAXING MY ELEMENTAL MODS SO I CAN USE ALL THREE ON ALL MY STUFF WHEN IM OUT OF ENERGY FROM SPAMMING CRUSH/AVALANCHE/CHAOS/MIASMA/OVERLOAD. Its just Diablo 2 at that point. Seriously. You might as well make Warframe a top down sprite based game from then on and people who want warframe to be a grindy farming game would still be extremely satisfied because thats what they're looking for. And to me thats ruining a game that was awesome for NOT being that. Atleast until these past few updates.

And i dont support more content that turns the game into that. Do you get me now?

I'm pretty sure if ninjas of our imagination and fantasy existed in the same moment of time that conventional firearms did, they would use them. And they would use them beautifully while running along walls, flipping through the air, sliding, even in close proximity. Sound like Warframe? Nope. Because Warframe is about MAXING MY ELEMENTAL MODS SO I CAN USE ALL THREE ON ALL MY STUFF WHEN IM OUT OF ENERGY FROM SPAMMING CRUSH/AVALANCHE/CHAOS/MIASMA/OVERLOAD. Its just Diablo 2 at that point. Seriously. You might as well make Warframe a top down sprite based game from then on and people who want warframe to be a grindy farming game would still be extremely satisfied because thats what they're looking for. And to me thats ruining a game that was awesome for NOT being that. Atleast until these past few updates.

And i dont support more content that turns the game into that. Do you get me now?

Your arguments are inconsistent. First you say that swordplay is killing the game, now you say trying to maximize your damage output is killing the game. And then you pull farming into the argument from out of nowhere, saying that is killing the game, as if it had anything to do with what you were saying earlier.

Also, here's a protip for you: Unless you are a developer, you are in no position to say how the game should be, or how it should be played.

Edited by RyojinOrion

Your arguments are inconsistent. First you say that swordplay is killing the game, now you say trying to maximize your damage output is killing the game. And then you pull farming into the argument from out of nowhere, saying that is killing the game, as if it had anything to do with what you were saying earlier.

Also, here's a protip for you: Unless you are a developer, you are in no position to say how the game should be, or how it should be played.

I'm pretty sure being a player, i know what kind of videogames i like. Also, do you really think developers arent players as well?

And if you go back and re read my previous posts, i said that if you just re skin and make weapons specifically melee weapons that are just better versions of others, its just going to drive a ladder of level requirement and farming of resources to get them. If one is clearly better than the other, a direct upgrade, then it is not an option. Its then a linear tree of advancement.

As for melee, my arguement was basing the game purely on special melee attacks and moves. You know. Like SHOCKWAVE slam attacks and Slash dashing with excalibur as an example if you didnt understand.

As for maximizing damage output, thats an extremely. Extremely broad umbrella to just draw a line to.  I never said maximizing damage was bad. In General. But when maximizing your damage only consists only of getting 5 mods out of 16 for every single weapon in the game. Doesnt that seem stupid? If getting more damage output is extremely easy and simple and throws everything else under the bus with extremely high reward, doesnt that seem like something needs to be changed? That is my arguement. Because it eliminates depth to the game.

And farming IS relevent because its the only thing thats driving all content in the game right now and adding more of the same doesnt help.

Between you and me, this isnt a pissing contest or a political debate for an audience. Its about actually looking at warframe and trying to agree on whats going to make it a fun game without destroying it. In lieu of that, everyone is allowed to voice an opinion and or their ideas relating to warframe gameplay in this forum. So please dont tell me i'm not allowed to.

I'm pretty sure being a player, i know what kind of videogames i like. Also, do you really think developers arent players as well?

And if you go back and re read my previous posts, i said that if you just re skin and make weapons specifically melee weapons that are just better versions of others, its just going to drive a ladder of level requirement and farming of resources to get them. If one is clearly better than the other, a direct upgrade, then it is not an option. Its then a linear tree of advancement.

As for melee, my arguement was basing the game purely on special melee attacks and moves. You know. Like SHOCKWAVE slam attacks and Slash dashing with excalibur as an example if you didnt understand.

As for maximizing damage output, thats an extremely. Extremely broad umbrella to just draw a line to.  I never said maximizing damage was bad. In General. But when maximizing your damage only consists only of getting 5 mods out of 16 for every single weapon in the game. Doesnt that seem stupid? If getting more damage output is extremely easy and simple and throws everything else under the bus with extremely high reward, doesnt that seem like something needs to be changed? That is my arguement. Because it eliminates depth to the game.

And farming IS relevent because its the only thing thats driving all content in the game right now and adding more of the same doesnt help.

Between you and me, this isnt a &!$$ing contest or a political debate for an audience. Its about actually looking at warframe and trying to agree on whats going to make it a fun game without destroying it. In lieu of that, everyone is allowed to voice an opinion and or their ideas relating to warframe gameplay in this forum. So please dont tell me i'm not allowed to.

Yes, you're a player, and you know what you like. That doesn't mean you have the right to say what this game should and should not be.

I did read back on what I quoted, actually. Nowhere in that did you mention reskins.

And as for melee, lemme quote you: "Its still like league of legends because you want to detract from gunplay and drive the game more towards using skills and melee and special melee attacks". You clearly were not just talking purely of special melee attacks and skills, but also melee in general.

I disagree that making it easier to get stronger in the game eliminated depth. It just makes it easier, nothing more.

I never said farming is irrelevant (Although to the original topic, it really is), I was just saying that your arguments are all over the place, and now that you are contradicting yourself.

And please, do show me where I told you that you aren't allowed to voice your opinion. You'll find no such thing. What you will find, however, is me telling you that you are in no position to dictate how this game should be since this game is not your creation. That is not the same thing as telling you that you can't voice an opinion on how you would like the game to be. You wouldn't tell a film maker how their film should be, you don't tell a painter how their painting should be, you don't tell a musician how their music should be... I think you're smart enough to follow this train of thought to it's logical conclusion.

Edited by RyojinOrion

Yes, you're a player, and you know what you like. That doesn't mean you have the right to say what this game should and should not be.

I did read back on what I quoted, actually. Nowhere in that did you mention reskins.  1.

And as for melee, lemme quote you: "Its still like league of legends because you want to detract from gunplay and drive the game more towards using skills and melee and special melee attacks". You clearly were not just talking purely of special melee attacks and skills, but also melee in general. 2.

I disagree that making it easier to get stronger in the game eliminated depth. It just makes it easier, nothing more. 3.

I never said farming is irrelevant (Although to the original topic, it really is), I was just saying that your arguments are all over the place, and now that you are contradicting yourself. 4.

And please, do show me where I told you that you aren't allowed to voice your opinion. You'll find no such thing. What you will find, however, is me telling you that you are in no position to dictate how this game should be since this game is not your creation. That is not the same thing as telling you that you can't voice an opinion on how you would like the game to be. You wouldn't tell a film maker how their film should be, you don't tell a painter how their painting should be, you don't tell a musician how their music should be... I think you're smart enough to follow this train of thought to it's logical conclusion.  5.

Point being, the more we just start throwing melee weapons and crap into the game nilly willy that are duplicates or reskins of other weapons that are slightly better, the more we're just going to

2. Using melee all the time detracts from gunplay. The weapon pool is like 80% melee. Adding even more melee weapons doesnt help.

3. Depth has alot to do with difficulty. You prettymuch cant get more room to do more core gameplay things unless you use difficulty for expansion room. Example. Holding 1 key makes you block. You automatically stop some shots from doing full damage. Adding difficulty making it so hitting block with timing for each projectile lets you deflect it back for full damage. This gives you more freedom and room to get good at something. While just holding a key doesnt.

4. There have been atleast a dozen threads on the forum as of late where people have complained about how stretched and intensive the farming has gotten for things in the game.

Thats synonymous to saying "you're not allowed."

As for being in "no position" to have a say in how the developers make their games. I'm pretty sure the developers themselves will argue with you on that when they're essentially making a product to be sold for entertainment to the customers/Players. Therefor our opinions matter. Whats more is the developers themselves have been responding in these forums and addressing the situations, not only that but saying they're going to make changes to the game based on their findings. Beta is ALL ABOUT feedback and adjustments and bug smashing.

Also that doesnt even make sense to tell me that on a feedback forum where everyone else is doing exactly what you said they're not allowed to do.

1) I did not quote that part, I was not replying that part. Whether or not you said it there is irrelevant to what I was saying to you in reply to the text I quoted.

2) I see guns used far more often than melee. I don't see how gunplay is getting killed.

3) Sorry, I wasn't thinking of the timing of button presses when considering 'difficulty'. I was thinking of AI health, damage, speed, and accuracy.

4) That's great, but still doesn't have anything to do with the idea of adding a spear weapon to the game, or how a spear weapon would function.

5) Since you clearly missed this, let me say it again: "What you will find, however, is me telling you that you are in no position to dictate how this game should be since this game is not your creation. That is not the same thing as telling you that you can't voice an opinion on how you would like the game to be." You are talking about how the game should be, not how you would like it to be.

Edited by RyojinOrion