The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Fps Drops By 50-60% Randomly

HakunaMyTatas

Question

Ever since i have started playing Warframe my FPS would keep dropping by 50-60% randomly. I get a stable 80-120 FPS while on my ship but after 5 minutes or so it will drop to 30-50. Same thing while doing missions but i only get around 40 fps while solo and 30 while in a squad (not as host).

Here are my laptops specs, if i missed anything please let me know.

Radeon Software Version - 15.12
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series
Memory Size - 512 MB
Memory Type - DDR3
Core Clock - 600 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10
System Memory - 4 GB
CPU Type - AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics

6 answers to this question

I have an extreme feeling you're subjected to thermal throttling, as laptops are universally subjected to. So, how are your temperatures?

A fairly extensive tool for system sensor monitoring for windows is HWiNFO, which syngergises with an on-screen-display frontend (in-game overlay), RivaTuner. (As how to use them, you have google)

According to CPU-World, Your A6-5200 APU has a max design temperature of 90°C, meaning it will do a hard-shutdown ('peewww') if it hits it, so OS's now lower the speed of CPUs and GPUs if they get too hot. I imagine thermal throttling starts around 80°C.

Edited by Frawg

My CPU 0 temperature says around 80°C.

(not sure if this is the right one since im new to this software)

EDIT: When it went above 90°C my framerate got cut in half. So now that we know the problem, how do i fix it?

Edited by HakunaMyTatas

Yeah, you're subjected to thermal throttling. What you can do now is open it and clean it (see warning of 2a; if you know what you're doing then proceed)--see if there's any dust clumps clogging the fan. If that doesn't work, try sticking a large fan under your laptop.

Methods  that worked for me:

1. Prop up your laptop with small, 1-inch-or-so tall items at the corners of the laptop--making most of the underside exposed.

2. Like 1, but have certain sides' gaps covered. Prop up your laptop with like decks of cards/books/whatever around the edge of the laptop, leaving most of the underside exposed.  Have the back (lid side) and exhaust hole side exposed, and make sure that the other 2 sides have little gaps as possible. This is to direct airflow from a personal house-fan (ballpark of 6-12 inches big) that sits behind the screen to continuously provide cool air for the main cpu fan to use.

2a.  I really don't recommend this, as it exposes extremely fragile insides that could destroy your laptop if things touched them (spills, splashes, even human touch)

but if you are careful around your laptop, and if you are able to, take off the panel that exposes the main heatsink of the laptop. For me, doing this dropped the temps anywhere between 2-10°C in practice.

Inconvenient and loud, I know, but this is a price to pay to game on low or mid-range laptops, or laptops with horrible cooling design. If you're going to prop up your laptop, I recommend using an external keyboard and display if things get too uncomfortable

Edited by Frawg

You may want to limit your max frame rate (in warframe options -> display settings). It may reduce the GPU load when your graphics card doesn't need to render unnecessary frames. Notice that framerates are not related to GFX load in aspect of temperature reduction but it might bring some ease.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2942163/tested-amds-frame-rate-target-control-delivers-real-benefits-for-radeon-gamers.html

Edited by carnaga