Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sliding Cooldown.

Havenbrook

They really didn't design the levels to interact well with their own parkour mechanics.

And the super-fast jump at the end of sideways wallruns was probably unintended anyway...even though it's literally the only thing that makes wallruns worthwhile, when you sprint as fast.

Hell, they probably never intended for anyone to bother with wallruns outside of their gimmick spots and promo vids.

Sorry, did you ever play any of the void missions?

Or any of the other missions that have the areas that you HAVE to use wall running and sprinting and stuff to get to certain areas to get lockers and other storage containers.

Edited by Havenbrook

Furthermore, the whole "oh we dont like people skipping the entire mission going straight to bosses" (which was said by Steve on the stream before last), how about you make the game less farming and people might not do that.

Quiet you. We all know the devs' love for bandaid fixes instead of addressing the root cause of the problem.

Lowered rare resource drops induces more solo/private farming. Rushing is easily the most efficient form of farming true rares.

Mission enemies are uninteresting and weak. Random missions themselves are not rewarding in the slightest.

Co-op game? Show me where you can find a single element that encourages cooperation and synergy. Other than bringing in randoms to fill up slots in order to increase spawn rate, there is NOTHING in the game that allows 4 people to be more than the sum of their parts.

I've watched many a game die with a whimper as the billions of bandaids stuck to it ended up only prolonging its inevitable demise. SOE's PlanetSide2 had many great bandaid fixes, but they still ignore the warnings from 9 months ago about the crappy metagame. Now, each bandaid is just dangling a new carrot in front of an already bored player. Same thing with Tribes:Ascend.

This game will be yet another passing interest for casual players (don't get me started on the equipment environment for casuals, haha), serve as an addictive time sink for those without better things to do (that's me!), but never a timeless classic

Quiet you. We all know the devs' love for bandaid fixes instead of addressing the root cause of the problem.

Lowered rare resource drops induces more solo/private farming. Rushing is easily the most efficient form of farming true rares.

Mission enemies are uninteresting and weak. Random missions themselves are not rewarding in the slightest.

Co-op game? Show me where you can find a single element that encourages cooperation and synergy. Other than bringing in randoms to fill up slots in order to increase spawn rate, there is NOTHING in the game that allows 4 people to be more than the sum of their parts.

I've watched many a game die with a whimper as the billions of bandaids stuck to it ended up only prolonging its inevitable demise. SOE's PlanetSide2 had many great bandaid fixes, but they still ignore the warnings from 9 months ago about the crappy metagame. Now, each bandaid is just dangling a new carrot in front of an already bored player. Same thing with Tribes:Ascend.

This game will be yet another passing interest for casual players (don't get me started on the equipment environment for casuals, haha), serve as an addictive time sink for those without better things to do (that's me!), but never a timeless classic

DE you need to pay heed to this guy .

You wont get better free advice

May I ask as to your sources? Or are you just blinding guessing?

"Blind" guessing based on DE's actions. Hence, "I doubt".

By putting the speed boost on a several-second cooldown, it can still be used for the occasional boost as I described, but prevents their use as a longer-term movement mechanic.

It would make more sense to assume that this is DE's aim, as opposed to some sort of clumsy knee-jerk nerf.

They also seem to have a habit of not paying close attention to how things they implement play out in practice, and coming back a while later all shocked that players use it in a way that's completely different from how they'd envisioned it. Like the shotgun damage falloff debacle. And the Iron Skin debacle.

Of course, zorencopter is the odd exception, where it's obviously broken and super-easy to exploit, but they haven't done a thing about it. Perhaps they're still trying to figure out a way to fix it without breaking slide attacks entirely, and/or maybe it's on the backburner because you're forced to use a zoren + fury combination in order to really abuse it, which is a tradeoff that prevents its widespread use.

In any case it's not hard to imagine how they likely envisioned the usage of sliding when designing and implementing the feature - designers don't usually go "oh, I want wavedashing in my game" - they go "I want players to be able to slide every now and then because it looks cool and it'll be kinda useful when closing that last bit of distance"

Yup. Sorry for the miss spelling.

MISSPELLING. It's one word. (Don't apologize, it's stupid grammar stuff :/ Read it in Lemongrab's voice. UNACCEPTABBBBBBLLLLLLEEEEEE)

Sorry, did you ever play any of the void missions?

Or any of the other missions that have the areas that you HAVE to use wall running and sprinting and stuff to get to certain areas to get lockers and other storage containers.

Sorry, did you read my post? I think I pretty clearly called out the ludicrously contrived DO A WALLRUN HERE spots on Grineer asteroid bases and occasionally on a corpus planet base, and how the rest of the game is often wallrun-unfriendly.

They really didn't design the levels to interact well with their own parkour mechanics. Tons of random crates and stuff conveniently lying around to wallrun off, but most are at a bad angle or placed too high relative to the pathways you want to go on/through after jumping. Elsewhere, it's all waist-high railings and "bumpy" walls that are wallrun-proof, forcing you to waddle across giant rooms. Also, cylindrical pillars and curved corners make for crazy unpredictable jump angles.

The only places where wallruns reliably work without making make you look like a ding-dong are the painfully gimmicky Prince of Persia spots.

There's exactly one vault wallrun puzzle in the Void. Which appears off the beaten path, occasionally. The literally-shining pinnacle of wallrun-friendly areas is just a long room with a series of gimmick jumps lined up, and hidden from most players. In the rest of the game, you occasionally come across a single gimmick ledge that practically has a WALLRUN HERE sign on it.

That's not level design, that's puzzle design.

For most players, wallrunning is a static chore, not a dynamic movement mechanic.

I get the impression that it's less a "love" for bandaid fixes so much as a lack of resources (monetary and human) to devote to making the comprehensive changes that everyone (including DE) would love to see. They're kinda stuck on a treadmill themselves, grinding new content into existence to keep the game profitable enough to keep existing, all the while playing whack-a-mole with urgent bugs. Slide dashing is a minor issue compared to that.

Edited by Caiman

"Blind" guessing based on DE's actions. Hence, "I doubt".

So you're making a guess based on things observed from you point of view? You sir would write great essays...

here's exactly one vault wallrun puzzle in the Void. Which appears off the beaten path, occasionally. The literally-shining pinnacle of wallrun-friendly areas is just a long room with a series of gimmick jumps lined up, and hidden from most players. In the rest of the game, you occasionally come across a single gimmick ledge that practically has a WALLRUN HERE sign on it.

Bad news... you are missing at least 3 treasure corners in the void :S

Right. This thread has devolved into a nasty "rushers vs explorers" merry-go-round. OP, if you like, please post another feedback thread regarding "sliding cooldown" but with less anger, thanks. This thread is now locked.

edit: After consideration (and Havenbrook's petition), I think I made a mistake in locking this thread prematurely. Sorry about that, folks. Too many threads about sliding-nerf turning ugly across the forums. This thread seems a bit different (with the exception of page 2).

So, it is now unlocked. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Please do keep things friendly, and it shall remain unlocked. Have at it folks!