Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oculus Rift or HTC Vive

Skinner1818

So i just wanted to know whether anyone has pre-ordered any of these VR headsets and whether anyone is having second thoughts regarding their pre-order?

I pre-ordered the Oculus Rift when it was announced in January. However, I have been getting increasingly annoyed with the lack of information regarding my order and the total lack of information from Oculus support.

The problem I have is that both of the VR headsets have features that I really want, the Oculus has (IMO) a better launch lineup of games with EVE Valkyrie, Adr1ft, and a lot of other games which I like the look of, and the Oculus Touch remotes look a lot better than the Steam Remote solution.

The Vive however, seems to me to be the technologically superior product with the better motion tracking solution using the lighthouses, as well as the might of Steam behind it providing the game platform. The Vive also has the front camera which would allow the Vive to be used as AR, not just VR.

Interested i seeing what the general thoughts of the community are regarding this.

That's why I didn't pre-order the rift. I wanted to wait until both headsets are released and lots reviews are out. I'm still leaning towards the rift but the xbone controller is a deal breaker for me at the moment. I'll probably wait until Oculus Touch is released, but if that bundle is more expensive than the current one I'll probably just buy a Vive.

Also, I wouldn't hold my breath for any AR apps. From what I've seen the Vive camera is too bad for that and there are no AR applications even in development right now.

Edited by SilentCircle

The Vive is $200 more than the Rift (800 vs 600), but comes with the 2 controllers and room movement tracking... which I hear are absolutely amazing, if not a huge pain to setup. Still... If I'm going to spend that much money on VR, I might as well make it as immersive as possible. The headset itself is supposedly very heavy, though. That could be a bit of an issue in the longrun.

21 hours ago, Flibbertigibbety said:

The Vive is $200 more than the Rift (800 vs 600), but comes with the 2 controllers and room movement tracking... which I hear are absolutely amazing, if not a huge pain to setup. Still... If I'm going to spend that much money on VR, I might as well make it as immersive as possible. The headset itself is supposedly very heavy, though. That could be a bit of an issue in the longrun.

Yeah I have also heard that Vive has excellent room tracking capability. It does bother me slightly though that for the vive all of the sensors need to be connected to a power supply around the room. Could be quite limiting depending on where you live and what your socket layout is like in the room.

To be honest though, I see no reason why the rift would not be able to do room tracking? I would assume that it would, but they have not really mentioned the fact that it can in any of the tech demo's I have seen for it.