The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Warframe Concept) Morph : The Matter Manipulator

transfatninja

"Morph" the Matter Manipulator

Italics are design notes, what I’m going for, etc.

Morph is sort of part suggestion for the antimatter themed frame, partly not. Originally a concept for the antimatter frame, it sort of changed into a matter manipulator frame (made more sense to me, but I guess it could still work as an antimatter frame). Anyways, if there's anything I focused on with Morph, it was on how to make the frame's powerset unique and interesting.

Morph is a caster warframe whose playstyle is based around power interaction; each of Morph’s powers are meant to synergize in a variety of ways. One of Morph’s primary mechanics is the Instability effect; enemies affected by Instability take increased damage from any source, as well as causes other effects with Morph’s powers.

One thing I really wanted to do with Morph is create a flexible burst mage whose kit is all tied together by a commonality, namely the Instability effect. One issue with damage dealing abilities is that they can really lose their utility as enemy health begins to outstrip damage output. This is why I decided on the Instability effect, not only does the effect tie the powers together, it doubles as a support debuff for the team.

Attributes:

Very squishy, moderately fast, large power pool. Morph thrives on positioning and range, throwing out powers regularly.

Standard glass cannon fare; most of Morph’s powers have long range, and positioning is key for Morph’s powers, meaning close quarters combat isn’t Morph’s forte. Close quarters, Morph may want to take more of  a support role, tossing down Instability with Exotic Matter and using Dark Field as crowd control.

Powers:

1) Exotic Matter – 25 Energy

Morph fires a ball of exotic matter at an enemy; the ball of matter homes in on the enemy and explodes on impact. Causes moderate splash damage and inflicts Instability on struck enemies. Can be used as a support debuff or to set up a power combo.

AOE projectile ability with a bit of a twist, due to the setup of the Instability effect. Good way to kick off a damage combo. Can also double as a bit of a support ability by tossing Instability onto enemies to increase the team's damage output.

2) Neutron Bolt – 25 Energy

Morph fires a bolt of super-dense neutronium where the cursor is aiming. The bolt travels quickly, does high damage, and pierces enemies. Though primarily a damage dealing power, enemies afflicted with Instability will explode when hit, causing extra damage and spreading Instability to nearby enemies.

Another projectile, should be familiar to players. Instability effect is inspired by Saryn’s Venom, though utilized to create an ability combo. Good follow through to exotic matter, either immediately for quick damage or after some time to spread instability and do some heavier damage than Exotic Matter. Bit iffy on this one, doesn’t really do anything special.

3) Dark Field – 50 Energy

Morph creates a field of dark matter; enemies that pass through are slowed, those afflicted with Instability take damage over time. Furthermore, Morph abilities fired through the field gain extra damage, speed, and range.

A bit like Volt’s shield in that shooting things through it does something, though once again, meant for ability combos. Great way to lead off a combo; can be used as a long range damage booster, or a DOT field for those enemies that like to rush. Can also be useful for crowd control, adding Instability gives some damage on top of that.

4) Reaction Ray – 100 Energy

Using the power of a localized fusion reaction, Morph fires a constant stream of energy where the cursor is aiming. The ray pierces enemies, deals heavy damage over time, and killing enemies affected with Instability gives Morph some energy. Morph cannot move while casting; movement will break the cast (so duration mods are more useful and don’t cause Morph to be too helpless). Can be boosted by dark field like the other powers if that’s possible, given the non-projectile nature of this power.

Wanted to go with a bit of a different uber; most are AOE, which really doesn’t help squishy mages if they don’t outright kill immediate threats since you have to be somewhat close to enemies to hit them with it. A long range beam is a good way for the mage to stay back from the action while still providing damage. Positioning is a major part of Morph’s playstyle, and this ability benefits greatly from doing so. Returning energy from enemies with Instability further rewards combining abilities, and can refund Morph’s heavy power use.

Strategies:

Morph is a flexible mage character that benefits greatly from chaining abilities. I thought of a few strategies utilizing this theoretical frame, something that certainly helped me in its design.

Long Range Burst:

Meant to lay down a hefty amount of damage in a short period of time; Morph can throw down a dark field first to boost following abilities, throw Exotic Matter to mark  enemies, toss a bolt in the center of them for extra damage, then fire a ray to clean up if anyone’s still standing. Useful to clear out groups of enemies, or crack particularly tough enemies.

Close Quarters:

While not Morph’s comfort zone, tossing down a dark field can offer a bit of room to work. Tossing exotic matter any groups going through the field can add damage over, helping to thin them out. Useful while fighting infested, due to their melee range and rushing tactics.

Support:

Toss exotic matter into groups of enemies, marking them for easier killing by you and your teammates. Use Dark Field to slow the advance of enemies.

Conclusion:

Overall, Morph is intended for experienced players looking for a burst mage that rewards positioning while also providing some utility. The Instability effect brings a unique dynamic to Morph's ability set, and ties each ability together to create a unified whole. Since Morph uses many combinations of abilities, Morph is a very energy hungry frame that requires careful use of energy to be effective.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome, let me know what you think!

Edited by transfatninja