Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe universe weapon naming

--O--Sanetri

So I've been thinking about weapon names in Warframe, and I (like many others) have found some correlations within them.

For instance Sonicor, Gammacor, Opticor and Staticor. What I find interesting about them is that they all relate to physics and are Corpus made. I'm pretty sure that Gammacor is also Corpus weapon. While it may have been designed by a Cephalon it really doesn't make a lot of sense for a Cephalon to create a weapon since they don't have bodies (and also they are artificial intelligences made to do certain tasks like researching. That means someone programmed a Cephalon to create weapons) . Even if the weapon in question is made for research. Also they all have the suffix of COR, COR might be a shortening for corpus or it could mean energy. For energy meaning I got it from the Sonicor, Opticor and Staticor bios. They mention sonic energy (I tried to do research on sonic energy, but all I could find was energy drinks and some Sonic the hedgehog S#&$, so it most likely is something DE pulled from their asses), light energy and static energy (how does that even work).

Another thing that I have noticed is that all Tenno dual pistols have AK (I think we all know that this is short for akimbo) in front of them. Corpus dual pistol has, well dual in front of it. And lastly the Grineer have twin in front of them, this is most likely to honor the twin queens.

And the last thing I want to talk about is the way each faction names their weapons. Tenno weapons are named with symbolism in mind (I.e vectis means ''bar'' which might refer to bolt of the bolt action rifles), Grineer use mythology (Gorgon) and their own language (Grinlok. Grin for Grineer and lok for a suffix that probably refers to accuracy [all the weapons that have lok in them are some sort of accurate rifles. even the marelok can be considered a rifle.]) and Corpus use scientific terms. Infested weapons are a mixed bunch but most of them refer to toxins and other sickness related stuff.

What do you think? Have you found anything interesting names that mean something or have an interesting background?