Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stealth, Parkour, And Reaction Time

Avarcaness

Introduction:

Warframe is a great game, don't get me wrong. But it irks me that they say it's about space ninjas, and it's really not. Ninjas are stealthy. Ninjas are fast. Ninjas have incredibly fast reaction time. Warframes don't have any of these. Sure, occasionally a player can pull off a stealth mission, but it's too difficult, and it's just not ninja-like. I also feel that the parkour mechanics are lacking in this game, which brings me my next topic, reaction time. I understand that this game is just in beta, but this is constructive feedback for improving the game. So here are my big topics:

Improving the parkour mechanics; so right now you can climb various objects, and you can wall run. There's not a whole lot of options.

Improving reaction time; as of now, the reaction time after pressing a button is incredibly slow. If you press space, you jump several fractions of a second later rather than immediately. This bothers me incredibly. You should be able to press space, and have your Warframe jump immediately. I also think they should speed up the time of falling, especially when doing a jumping melee attack. I'll go into further detail later.

Improving stealth mechanics; in Update 7 they greatly increased stealth, and they did so furthermore in Update 8. I realize they're working on making stealth better, and I have a few ideas that I believe could help.

Parkour Mechanics:

So as I stated, there aren't many options for parkour. You can awkwardly clamber onto a ledge, or you can wall run (which is pretty unresponsive and hard to use).

I think they should add a lot of well known parkour moves that are actually used in real life. If you're a space ninja, you have to look the part. Various parkour moves include the following:

Vaulting, Lache, Precision Jumping, Rolling, Muscle-Ups, Light Drop, Underbars, Tic-Tacs, and Wall Running.

All of these could hypothetically be utilized in Warframe. Say you're running from a group of Grineer. You see a ledge or a railing up ahead. Currently, if you try to jump over them, you'll probably go farther than you mean to. If better parkour was implemented, you could vault over it, turn around, and grab hold of the ledge. From there you could drop or slide down the wall, eventually reaching the safety of the ground.

Another practical use for better parkour would be if you're being pursued and you find a dead end; a wall with some crates and pipes sticking out. Instead of fighting, you could wall run up the wall, grab hold of some obstacles, and make a daring escape.

It would also be cool to be able to edge along walls and railings. If undetected, enemies could not see you when doing this.

Not only would parkour be useful in escaping, but also just for fighting, If there's an enemy behind cover, vault over it and stab him. Parkour could also be used for traversing the enviroment faster. Think Assassin's Creed. There's all types of moves that could be used in combat and for getting around.

Stealth Improvements:

Stealth is currently pretty useless. I find it fun, but there's really no point to it. You don't get any bonus rewards, and if you're farming it decreases enemy spawns so you don't get resources or money. It takes longer than normal runs, it's harder, and it has no point. So I aim to improve it. Here are some of my ideas.

1.) The ability to shoot out lights or panels to stop enemies from alerting the ship. You could also hack a panel to turn off the alert. On Corpus missions, hacking panels disables cameras.

2.) Timed alerts. If you're alerted you should be able to go into stealth mode and, after a set amount of time, the alert will turn off. However, enemies will still be more wary than before.

3.) Rewarding stealth runs. Currently, stealth runs don't give any special reward. I propose that stealth runs should give a reward based off how stealthy you were. If you got 0 alerts, it could be a x7 reward. If you had some detection, but no alerts it could be a x6, etc etc.

4.) Rewarding stealth assassinations. Simple, add rewards for stealth kills.

5.) Ability to kill bosses stealthily. Currently this is impossible.

6.) After destroying a generator, alerts can no longer be triggered. Your frame is truly a warrior of the shadows.

7.) Ability to stealth kill Infested, MOA's, Shield Grineer, etc.

8.) Stealth kills do more damage. I hate it when I try to stealth kill a heavy gunner, and he survives and alerts everybody.

9.) Better stealth mechanics. Ability to stealth kill people on stares. Enemies find it harder to see you, especially when the lights are off.

10.) More silenced weapons, and possibly a mod called "silencer" that adds a silencer to your main weapon?

11.) There's many more ideas, I might add some more.)

Faster Reaction Time:

What more is there to say? Jumping in Warframe is incredibly unresponsive, as well as several other movements. Make jumping faster, and with less of a delay between pressing space and actually doing the action. Also, improve reaction with jump melee attacks, rolling, sprinting, sliding, and using melee. It's not much, but it's an important feature. Ninjas aren't meant to be slow and clumsy.

The problem with large posts with these is you're trying to address too many points at once so some of your meaning gets lost. It's much better to be concise and create different threads for different ideas, much like Cedric has done with his resource suggestions.

That being said, I definitely agree with the parkour. I want to see more vaulting in particular as currently your frame does not react well when you try to jump against an object. Additionally, I would like to see the rolls and flips sped up a bit as right now they seem just a tad too slow. Right now I'm practicing jump+roll out of a slide to get that extra little boost on the flip and it looks pretty cool. I hope we'll see smoother transitions in the future instead of removing these abilities.

Edited by Excitonex

You're able to kill chargers. You jump on top of them and stab them I think.

I may be thinking of a different game.

Definitely can, I do it every so often. They just get alerted really easily, and can't be stealthed afterward and there isn't an audible alarm or anything.

Stealth system in this game is currently broken, you can't stealth kill... you just stealth attack... What causes many times to slash an enemy throat and he/she/it keeps walking '-'

As far as I've seen recently, some seem to be working and some don't. If I sneak up behind somebody I can usually stealth kill them, but sometimes it doesn't work.