The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts on some melee weapon ideas

Chef_Lu_Bu

Flails/Chigiriki

ORUZhIE-NINDZYa-CHIGIRIKI.jpg

Handled weapons with a chain on one end and a "de-brainer" on the other. Spiked or otherwise. Maybe even a "laser flail" for those of you who enjoy weapons made of hardlight. Could also have a version that upgraded to a kusigarama for that "extra" weeb flair.

Shotel

Ph-0.jpg

This sweet piece of piercing metal is designed to go around a shield and hit the enemy right in the ol pee-pee maker(kidneys) or the Indiana Jones spot(temple). An interesting weapon visually, the shotel gives a lot of room for fancy designs and fancier lasers.  We could also make due with a Khopesh or a scimitar-only stances instead of the machete ones the nami gets(vomit).

finally

THE LANTERN SHIELD. 

8fb6a0cbf58d0521976df92acb51c53b.jpg

Say you want to block an attack while gutting one opponent and shooting another all while looking stylish and fashion frame as f*ck. Enter the Lantern Shield. This sleek piece of medieval engineering offered everything but power steering, all while managing to look like something a clock-work robot would take into battle. Surely the most fantastic of all ancient melee weapons ever invented.  Also, peep that styling crushed velvet interior. Sleek, deadly and fashionable.

These generally sound interesting, though the lantern shield seems rather silly. I think they could make some interesting additions to the current arsenal. Been working on a few ideas myself. Though they are babased on mining machinery and tools.

Not gonna lie though, saw the name of the poster and half expected a cutlery pun or item in the lineup.

Edited by Xaentrick

23 minutes ago, Xaentrick said:

These generally sound interesting, though the lantern shield seems rather silly. I think they could make some interesting additions to the current arsenal. Been working on a few ideas myself. Though they are babased on mining machinery and tools.

Not gonna lie though, saw the name of the poster and half expected a cutlery pun or item in the lineup.

I'll be honest, I had to hold back from posting a meat cleaver on principle. That said, I'd love to hear your mining machinery ideas. The Lantern Shield reminds me of a pile driver, and how that could be incorporated into a shield with a counter mechanic.

25 minutes ago, Chef_Lu_Bu said:

I'll be honest, I had to hold back from posting a meat cleaver on principle. That said, I'd love to hear your mining machinery ideas. The Lantern Shield reminds me of a pile driver, and how that could be incorporated into a shield with a counter mechanic.

Well the idea stemmed from the fact that both the Grineer and corpus both have mining operations. Two different factions must have very different methods. 

The Corpus could utilize several machines to mine for them, naturally these machines would be equipped with an item to do the work. I imagine something impact based would be the result of that. Three nodes would emit a beam that combines as they spin to create an almost drill like appearence in the beam. The damage would start off low and slowly wind up the longer the trigger is held.

I imagine the end looking similar to this, only the beans come from the points instead of the center.

latest?cb=20130225091232

The Grineer I imagine would use something far less advanced given how the mining machines for them look. I could go with a pick axe like melee weapon for them, but that is not very creative. We also know they have plasma based weapons with the kohm, kohmak, and twin kohmak. So it is not too far to say they could have a plasma based mining machine. This could be implemented in several ways, though to make it unique and different compared to the corpus one. I think it would function in pulses opposed to a steady beam. It would have a charge trigger type do you charge it up and then it fires off three high damage plasma bursts. It would be fairly short range but would make up for that with damage. 

(This is how I imagine it would be held. Not designed for accuracy, but effective at punching through low grade metal and flesh.)

latest?cb=20100721234748