The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Crossbow NEW Mechanics.

(PSN)BrutalReaper32

Hi Tenno, I just had an idea on how to make crossbow a bit more unique compared to the other weapons we have in game right now. It's nothing really big, but a simple change that in my opinion would make crossbows even more fun and useful to use.

My idea is to give crossbows a mechanic around the secondary fire. Where if you press the secondary fire button, you would rotate between two types of bolts. Of course, the bolts would be in magazines, so each time you have to change between bolts, you will start a reload animation before you can start using the bolts. 

To balance between the bolts the stats of the crossbow would change based on the bolts you are using... for example: if you have the base bolts of the Attica, the stats would be the same we have right now, but, if you change to something like: Heavy Bolt the mag would be reduced in 60% , it would have way less rate of fire, and way more recoil. The bolt itself would travel slower and would have less range, but would have waaay more damage, innate punchthrough and way more critical chance /multiplier to make it worth using. 

Here are a couple of examples of bolt types that crossbow could have:

1) Explosive burst: The crossbow will shoot three fast medium ranged bolts that would explode on contact with any surface or enemy. The bolts would have high status chance and the magazine would be around 21 bolts. 

2) Magnetic bolts: The crossbow would shoot magnetized bolts with average travel speed, short range and high damage. The bolts would deal nice damage on contact with an enemy, but after 2 seconds, each fired bolt would start attracting nearby enemies for the next 3 seconds. That type of bolt would have low status chance, low crit chance /multiplier but really high base damage. The magazine cap. will be around 5 bolts, 

3 Inferno Bolts: The crossbow would shoot highly volatile bolts that will leave a trail of flammable liquids. At the same time, the bolt will have fire on the head. There is a simple mechanic with this particular bolt type... To make it explode, you need to shoot a bolt directly you a group of enemies to leave a trail of fammable liquid and deal puncture damage + fire damage to the enemy. Then taking advantage of the fire head of your bolts, shoot directly at the trail left by your previous bolt(s) to ignite the trail, and finaly detonate the remaining charge of your previous bolts in a massive explosion. (You can leave multiple trails that you can ignite at the same time to detonate more incendiary charges to deal more damage). The magazine cap. for this type of bolt will be 4. And the damage will be extremely high (as this type of bolt can kill you too). 

4) Heavy Bolt: The crossbow would shoot a massive bolt with innate punchthrough, massive damage, high crit chance/ multiplier, low flight speed and average reach. This type of bolt has been made to take down really tanky enemies in a few shoots. 

5) Ricochet bolts: The crossbow would shoot small bolts with high fight speeds, really long range, average base damage damage but high crit chance / multiplier and small AoE effect. Don't let the description fool you, there is something especial about this bolt type. As the name indicates they bounce off surfaces and enemies, but each time it bounces it gains 100% more damage. And each bolt can bounce up to 4 times (so if an enemy is hit by a bolt that has bounced 4 times, it will get 400% the damage of each bolt, now, imagine if it lands on the head)
My idea was to make a type of bolt that requires high amounts of skill to get it's maximum potential and it's fun to use at the same time. 
*The rate of fire of the crossbow while using this type of bolts will be of 800 RPM and it's magazine size will be around 30 bolts*

6)Smart Bolts:This type of bolts would (as the name indicates) smart. It means that they would work like the grenades from a XM25 grenade launcher. The bolts will be slow, will have average reach and will have high base damage (it will have low crit chance / multiplier and low status chance). The basic mechanic will be that you shoot each bolt and when a bolt flights near an enemy, it will explode with an AoE of 9 meters. (it will also explode when it reachs it's max range, but not if it touches any surface).

There could be way more bolt types DE could use to make each crossbow more unique. but here I said some of my current ideas. 
Imagine if we had a new crossbow that use the Ricochet bolts (5) and the Magnetic Bolts (2) or another crossbow that uses the Heavy Bolts (4) and the Explosive Burst (1). 
As I said, each new crossbow could have a set of two different bolts to work with. 
Sorry for my enlgish if I made any mistake and I hope you liked the idea. 
Let me know what do you think of this idea and if you have any bolt type in mind :D

Edited by (PS4)BrutalReaper32