The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee weapons with unique channeling mechanics.

(PSN)BrutalReaper32

Hi Tenno, I was thinking on a way to make more unique melee weapons and I thought it could be a good idea to "replace" the channeling mechanic in some melee weapons to add especial mechanics. 
I'm not pretty sure if this would work fine in every weapon, or maby just add this mechanic to some rare weapons for each category of weapons (katanas, spears, swords, daggers, fists, hammers, etc...) 
Well, here are some examples of what I mean:

Example 1: Katana with slash detonation. The idea behind this is simple... Katanas have high slash damage and status chance. So, mi idea was to give that katana a passive ability that will let "store" all the damage you have done to your enemies with slash procs, and when you fell you have enough slash damage "stored" in your katana, you could use the "channeling" key to detonate every enemy affected by a slash proc in the moment you use the ability. When the enemies are detonated by your ability they will receive a single slash tick with all the stored damage. 

Example 2: Spear with high speed thrust combo. My idea here is to give spears a massive damage combo with soft cc potential, that will consume energy per second, and will allow the spear user to make a combo of massive speed spear thrusts in an AoE of 45º in front of the user. (you can still walk while using the ability) Imagine it as a spectral scream from chroma, but this spear ability would scale better (because it obviously scales with melee mods of your spear and the combo counter) so it gets better as you increase that combo counter.

Example 3: Air sword. Here I think another way to use channeling. I've talked about detonation and drain per second, but here I will use buff with duration. In this channeling use, you will give the sword a buff that will make powerful winds flow around the sword for an amount of time. This will give you aditional utility to your sword. Like generating a tornado around you when using a ground slam. increasing  your attack and movement speed and generating long range jet streams with cc capabilities and damage multiplier when using charged attacks. (it will obviously scale based on your combo counter and melee mods on your sword).

Example 4: Defensive glaive. Here is a nice option to use melee weapons defensively. This would be a glaive ability that would let you make your glave orbitate you at high speeds for an amount of time using a bit of energy. As the name indicates, the glaive will be defensive because it will just hit enemies that get too close to you. Of course the combo counter would be still going and it would work as if you were just doing combos with it. You could cancel the ability by attacking with melee (so you don't have to wait for the ability to end to start using combos again). This would have better synergy when you aren't actually using melee (but you would have to equip melee to use this variation of channeling and then you could change back to your fire weapons).

Example 5: Afterimage katana. with some energy per second you could create an afterimage of your katana to get an effect similar to "multishot". I mean, when you have this active, each time you hit something with your katana, an afterimage of it will hit the enemy again in less than 1 second. It will increase the combo multiplier. But mind the energy per second.

I don't want to make this wall of text even bigger, so I think, you get the idea on what I'm thinking. Either creating weapons with unique abilities when you use channeling (instead of the flat damage buff) or giving all the weapons of the same category a especial type of channeling (like the ones I told you before) Maybe, there could be different channeling types for each weapon category that you could choose from (it could even have a especial slot for it). The actual channeling could still be a valid option.

Tell me what you think about this, and if you have any channeling ideas. 
Sorry for my english D:

Just now, (XB1)Closegato said:

glaive explodes when youre channeling

still great idea

yeah, I know xD
Remember that I said that maybe they could add a mod slot to put channeling variations depending on the weapon (if they just don't simply make a weapon with an unique channeling mechanic). 

I mean, you could have your glaive prime, and then you decide if you want your base channeling ability or the defensive glaive for example. 
I'm still thinking if there should be weapon with unique channeling abilities or if there should be a mod for melee weapons. ._.
Thanks for reading :D