Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Physical Media Deluxe Version Of Warframe For Ps4 And Pc

Lord_Rinja

Hi folks. Since I found out that Warframe was coming out for PS4, I downloaded the Open Beta on the PC to see what the game is like. Although I haven't had the opportunity yet to play in Multiplayer, I have been absolutely addicted to the Single Player mode.

With that said, in the future, if Warframe does well on PS4 and PC, will you consider releasing a deluxe version of the game on Physical Media without the requirement to log into the server? The single player is extremely solid and I would gladly pay $60 for this type of experience alone. I know the game has been compared to Mass Effect meets PSO but it also reminds me of Warhammer 40k Space Marine because you can easily transition from shooter to melee combat. Anyway, I know its early on in the project but if things go well and (I think they will), please give it some consideration. Keep up the good work. This game rocks hardcore.

I imagine that in the future a "shoot-off" could be produced that uses similar mechanics, but there would definitely need to be some reworking to change all of the mechanics that rely on the game being F2P.

The crafting, weapon, material, mod, and blueprint drops will all be radically different because these are the systems have been created with a F2P pay model in mind. The multiplayer, clans, dojo, and mission design in general would also need tweaking because right now it is drop in/drop out and needs a constant connection to the internet and server to be effective. Dark/Demon's Souls did a good job of being always connected, but having a new "drop in/out" system for multiplayer.

Again, it is possible but the game would need to be reworked considerably because the pay model behind the game currently has influenced the mechanics as much, if not more than any other design choice. I'd love to see a single-player, story focus game that maybe lead up to Warframe as it is now. Kind of like a prequel to know what is going on.

@Silver Disciple

Interestingly enough, you mentioned Demon Souls and Dark Souls, two games I actually own and play on the PS3. Demon Souls and Dark Souls has a unique form of drop in and drop out using a world hack system that would allow you to hack into another persons game (not literal hacking, of course). However, the game actually doesn't require a constant online connection. I turned off my internet connection because I just wanted to play the game and not be bothered by others trying to hack into my world. When I turned it off, it actually works. Also, that sounds like a pretty cool model for Warframe. But obviously, contained within the code of Warframe, if you strip away the online components, there is most likely a single player game there. It may not require an entire work around. I may just need things to be stripped away. However, thats why I asked this question. Honestly, we all know only the developer can properly answer this question because non of us are looking at the code. But I also like your idea of a shoot-off and I would definitely purchase that as well. This game is just incredible and as a gamer and as a collector, i want this in my library and would be willing to pay the typical full price of any other traditional release to own it.

@Silver Disciple

Interestingly enough, you mentioned Demon Souls and Dark Souls, two games I actually own and play on the PS3. Demon Souls and Dark Souls has a unique form of drop in and drop out using a world hack system that would allow you to hack into another persons game (not literal hacking, of course). However, the game actually doesn't require a constant online connection. I turned off my internet connection because I just wanted to play the game and not be bothered by others trying to hack into my world. When I turned it off, it actually works. Also, that sounds like a pretty cool model for Warframe. But obviously, contained within the code of Warframe, if you strip away the online components, there is most likely a single player game there. It may not require an entire work around. I may just need things to be stripped away. However, thats why I asked this question. Honestly, we all know only the developer can properly answer this question because non of us are looking at the code. But I also like your idea of a shoot-off and I would definitely purchase that as well. This game is just incredible and as a gamer and as a collector, i want this in my library and would be willing to pay the typical full price of any other traditional release to own it.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the code either supports a single player game, or can be modified to do so without too many complications. The issue is more with the functions that are there because of the pay-model, not the online connection. That is what I was trying to emphasize.

Why are there slots for equipment?

-To limit how many items a player can have before they either need to pay for more slots or sell old items.

Why are cosmetic options not available to everyone from the moment they start the game?

-To have something in the game that requires a real-money purchase.

Why does crafting take 12hrs, 24hrs, or 72hrs?

-To have a reason to charge for rushing the production.

Why is so much of the game behind an RNG (random number generator)?

-To give reliability to paying instead of farming which give players an incentive to pay for convenience.

All of these mechanics are in place because the game is using a Free-to-Play model, and they have made the game what it is. Personally I love the game, but changing the model will change the game. I won't say it will be better or worse, but it will be different and I will be excited for it.

Speaking of a traditional single player game though, those usually have more in-depth story with a central character and villain. Warframe has neither right now, instead the developers focused on a perpetual experience. Again, this choice is so the Free-to-Play model could support the game. If there was only one story, even if it had multiple outcomes, there would be a moment when the players had experienced all of the content and leave. That wouldn't work here.

I would love to see a single-player game in the Warframe universe. I brought up a prequel, but it wouldn't have to be. What I was thinking of is having a player work directly for the Lotus and be responsible for awakening the other Tenno. The story could also explain more about what the Warframes and the Tenno actually are.

As for your Demon's/Dark Souls explaination: I know about those games, I've personally played and beaten Demon's souls without an internet connection. It was not the internet connection that I found important, it was the pay model.

TL;DR: Please go back and read, but I was saying that the internet connection isn't important. The pay model is probably affecting the development more significantly.

Honestly, storyline isn't even and issue with me. Game Play is a lot more important to me than the actual story itself. Also, RNGs are nothing new. They have been using them long before games ever required a connection to the web (Diablo for example). Also, I actually enjoy the fact that things are difficult to get in this game. I don't even mind grinding, as it is also a play mechanic. As a result, it forces me to get better and actually learn the mechanics.

On the pay model, you should really go back and read what I said at the beginning of this topic as well. I sepcifically stated:

"if Warframe does well on PS4 and PC, will you consider releasing a deluxe version of the game on Physical Media without the requirement to log into the server?"

Basically, this says that I am asking them to make a Physical version after they have already collected profits from the Free-To-Play version. I obviously realize that something like this is not going to happen overnight, especially considering the fact that the program is still in beta right now. In the end, Pay Model doesn't mean much when I am trying to get an answer. They either like the idea or they don't. I'm simply asking them to consider. Until I hear from them in this thread, none of us actually know if its possible or not regaurdless of the model. If you are not looking at the code, there is no possible way you can know. I'll only accept what the developer says on this question despite if I'm right or wrong.

Edited by Lord_Rinja