The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hold and Release Charge Attack

Bitfrogman

might be difficult to hear it, what with all the gunfire and slashing, but when you hold down the melee button there's a sort of increasing hum that roughly indicates when you're gonna slash.

Oh yea, there actually is.

But like you said, it can be hard to hear with all the gunfire and other noise.

And on top of that I'm usually listening to music while playing.

I have no problem with the used system but I like the idea to give us 2 more seconds to hold the charged atack.

There is an chage indicator ...the sound a weapon makes while charging, but its not loud enough.

Ah and I totaly dislike the idea of an indicator like the reload ring because everything in my FOV... is in my FOV.

Edited by antimab

As I agree with holding charge till you release from one viewpoint, I have to disagree with implimenting it as a replacement for the current way it works. At least give us the option of which to use, and here's why.

Say you want to kill bigugly, and let's say bigugly is armoured and level 50. As we know it's going to take more then one charge attack to kill him, probably more then 10.

Let's say your weapon has a 1 second charge time exactly, and also takes 1 second to go through it's hit animation before you can "recharge" an attack.

Scenario A: (Charge released automatically) : You hold Melee button (refered to as E from hereforth) down, 1 second later exactly the attack happens. You then repress E to begin another charge attack. Following this it takes exactly 2 seconds for each attack with 0 downtime in between, allowing you to execute 15 attacks in 30 seconds.

Scenario B: (Charge released manually) : You hold E for 1.3 seconds (average) because you have had issues in the past with releasing it too early, you release it and it fires. You then immediatly repress E to execute another attack. Following this it takes 2.3 seconds for each attack assuming 0 downtime in between, allowing you to execute 13 full attacks in 30 seconds. This doesn't even take into account if you accidentally miss one attack.

You lose 2 full attacks due to human error at least. If you got bigugly up against a wall and you want to dump power into him then Scenario A wins. As a Rhino doing Hades runs and lovin some melee, this becomes a problem.

TL:DR

I agree the option needs to be there for releasing charged attacks when you please.

I disagree with replacing the current way the function works entirely

I agree with giving us the option to switch it as we choose, or even a seperate button.

Scenario A: (Charge released automatically) : You hold Melee button (refered to as E from hereforth) down, 1 second later exactly the attack happens. You then repress E to begin another charge attack. Following this it takes exactly 2 seconds for each attack with 0 downtime in between, allowing you to execute 15 attacks in 30 seconds.

Scenario B: (Charge released manually) : You hold E for 1.3 seconds (average) because you have had issues in the past with releasing it too early, you release it and it fires. You then immediatly repress E to execute another attack. Following this it takes 2.3 seconds for each attack assuming 0 downtime in between, allowing you to execute 13 full attacks in 30 seconds. This doesn't even take into account if you accidentally miss one attack.

If you press E for one second and then you hit your target.

If there is no time between the hit and the beginning of pressing E again, the you are doing one attack per second.

Not one attack per two seconds.

I don't understand how you calculated that.

If it takes you 1.3 seconds to execute an attack, then you are doing one attack in 1.3 seconds.

If you press E again for 1.3 seconds, then it has taken equally 2.6 seconds to perform 2 attacks.

Assuming there is no time between releasing E key and the hit and between the hit and the press of E again.

You can't make something like this an option. It's all or nothing. Just the same way one thread is asking for less camera recoil shake and someone suggested make the shake be adjustable. The point of the shake is for difficultiness. I agree it should be toned down, but you can't allow one person to lower it back, and another person not to. At the point we give people the choice about charge release, is the time when one becomes better than the other and everyone will gravitate towards that anyway. And, ultimately, beig able to choose when to release will ultimately be better and more precise than "getting the timing" down right. In real life, I would choose when to slash my sword, not have a meter that forces me to swing my arms.

I agree, that it should be up to the player when to release his strike. I am a person, not a robot and I can make my own choices.

Foolishness, there is no better feeling than slicing someone in half with perfect timing at sprinting speed.

If that was the only way to do it. You can now just stand in front of your enemy and spam your charge attack. Doesn't require any kind of timing.

You can't make something like this an option. It's all or nothing. Just the same way one thread is asking for less camera recoil shake and someone suggested make the shake be adjustable. The point of the shake is for difficultiness. I agree it should be toned down, but you can't allow one person to lower it back, and another person not to. At the point we give people the choice about charge release, is the time when one becomes better than the other and everyone will gravitate towards that anyway. And, ultimately, beig able to choose when to release will ultimately be better and more precise than "getting the timing" down right. In real life, I would choose when to slash my sword, not have a meter that forces me to swing my arms.

I agree, that it should be up to the player when to release his strike. I am a person, not a robot and I can make my own choices.

It is annoying that I don't have control over when the attack gets released when you have control over every other thing your character does in the game.

Edited by Bitfrogman

It is annoying that I don't have control over when the attack gets released when you have control over every other thing your character does in the game.

This.

One of the things I really like in this game. It actually feels like you are in control.

I agree, having to hold or either something similar to TERA where the longer you charge the more it will do but at a cost, or I'd just be happy with a way to stop the swing when you realize you've held the button too early. Logically if you're not going to make the swing you wouldn't continue with it.

This is actually something that neither breaks the game nor is critical to any aspect of playing. For god's sake after a day of playing you won't have any problems with melee, nor it's charge. At level 15 of your melee weapon you already have 2-3 charge speed increases without modding, plus if you mod a bit charge time will be as initial melee rate of the weapon, meaning that the frame for missing a charge attack is minimal (as it is executed in a second or less). What will be the next topic, "Give us auto-aim because I only hit enemies' head 9 out of 10 times!"? Some thing in the game are there because you actually need to think for a sec what you're doing.

If you could hold and release whenever you want that would give you a kill ALL the time. The way it is now is just fine. When an enemy backsteps or runs away from your timed melee it just feels like the AI is actually somewhat smart. It feels good to know that you can miss.