Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
Jade Shadows: Known Issues ×

Why Can't I Get Up These Stairs?

TheImmortalHotDog

I have a hard time as well. A lot of the time, if I'm sprinting or jst moving above a certain speed, I can't move up stairs. Maybe it'd framerate related? I've seen videos of people going much faster than me just breezing up stairs while they had higher framerates.

Confirmed for ash and excalibur. Possibly framerate related.

It's odd, Warframe, unlike any other game I have played, has gameplay directly impacted by framerate. By which I mean things like fire rate (even the time between individual shots on burst weapons), swing speed, climbing stairs, and possibly even some physics related things are affected by framerate, which until now I only thought of as a video issue, and not something that actually affected what was happening in-game.

Also, slightly on a tangent, I find it absolutely bizzare that DE decided to base things like weapon recoil on the camera. Most games just have the camera as a means to allow the player to look into the game world, so to speak, but in warframe it seems the camera is a physical part of the world and is attached to the player's back by some invisible rod.

If none of that made sense to you, don't worry. It barely made sense to me. I need to sleep now.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, but
There are two types of 'time' in games. One is ingame ticks, the other is real time. 
Gameplay events are scheduled by ticks. For instance, fire rate is how many shots per ticks.
Framerate is tied to both. The game can be run by binding ticks to real time, so that the ratio of ticks to real time remains the same whether at 30 fps or at 1, whereupon events and things happen 30 times slower at 1 fps than at 30 fps. This happens in games like TF2, where the demo rendering does this so that if you can render a demo at 60 fps at highest settings even if your computer can't realistically do so while in real game.

Gameplay can also be done disconnecting the two, so that events happen at the same speed regardless of framerate, but as a result running the game at 1 fps means you only see 1 frame every thirty, so you miss out a lot in between. 

In Warframe, this matters so much because it's a multiplayer game. Pinging and sending information is also scheduled by game ticks, so the ticks have to remain constant. However, if someone is running at 2 fps and you're running at 30, he's going to be sending ticks that are delayed by so much, and yours will not be. So time is not constant between the two platforms. 

This is all based on what I've seen and what I think I understand, so please do correct me. 

Edited by CheeseHasLeafs

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, but

There are two types of 'time' in games. One is ingame ticks, the other is real time. 

Gameplay events are scheduled by ticks. For instance, fire rate is how many shots per ticks.

Framerate is tied to both. The game can be run by binding ticks to real time, so that the ratio of ticks to real time remains the same whether at 30 fps or at 1, whereupon events and things happen 30 times slower at 1 fps than at 30 fps. This happens in games like TF2, where the demo rendering does this so that if you can render a demo at 60 fps at highest settings even if your computer can't realistically do so while in real game.

Gameplay can also be done disconnecting the two, so that events happen at the same speed regardless of framerate, but as a result running the game at 1 fps means you only see 1 frame every thirty, so you miss out a lot in between. 

In Warframe, this matters so much because it's a multiplayer game. Pinging and sending information is also scheduled by game ticks, so the ticks have to remain constant. However, if someone is running at 2 fps and you're running at 30, he's going to be sending ticks that are delayed by so much, and yours will not be. So time is not constant between the two platforms. 

This is all based on what I've seen and what I think I understand, so please do correct me. 

Aha, this is enlightening and is exactly what I was wondering earlier. Thanks for the info.

Personally, I would much rather miss some frames in between then have to deal with actually slow down, just for the sake of me watching the slowing down happen.