Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Idea] Defensive Ability Ablation

SmokeBraid

TL:DR - The more damage a defense takes, the less effective it becomes.

Right now, defensive abilities come in two states: They're working at full power, or they're not working at all. There is no in-between. Snowglobe becomes thirty seconds of invulnerability at range, no matter how much damage is being thrown at it, for example.

Instead, give defensive abilities a curve. Going back to Snowglobe, it gives full protection in the beginning. But as it takes more damage, rifts and voids form, reducing its protective ability. At the same time, a Snowglobe that only takes a few shots here and there would last great deal longer than one which has a level 80 Jackal firing sticky grenades at it. I'm not just picking on Snowglobe though. Cracks and gaps can appear in Rhino's Iron Skin, Volt's Electric Shield flickers, and Loki's Decoy becomes a less convincing distraction after being damaged. 

Balancing probably isn't going to be easy. Increased duration to make up for the potential failure of the defense?

Feedback, both good and bad, would be appreciated.

No no no no no no no NO!

Snowglobe has one and only one purpose-invulnerability in a small area. Changing it like that would make it worth maybe ten seconds on Defense, less at higher ranks-meaning you'd need around 50 energy every ten seconds to survive at those high waves.

New abilities involving ablative defense would be fine, nerfing old abilities with it is not.

While I do support that point of view, I can sense a great deal of people going against it since it can be exploited and they are probably doing it. To be fair, snowglobe is pretty much a requirement for any defense mission, as it is chaos and vortex. You need at least one of those 3 if you want to get to a high lvl defense mission.

This is sort off your topic, but snowglobe is actually kind of OP the same way Iron Skin was. Sure enough, it can be avoided if the enemies would go inside the globe to ignore the god mode layer, but the AI simply does not do that unless they are melee.

I like the idea of skills that are time based to degrade a bit over time. It is a nice concept, although a bit strange and personally, I will have a hard time getting used to that. I am imagining that those skills are sort of based on the warframe abilities to use the energy it has, and once it is deployed (whatever it is deployed) the energy invested in it will degrade over time, otherwise it is like the warframe keeps feeding it, in which case the skill should be toggle based instead.