Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee And Charging Melee - Relate It To Stamina

nine7114

Current status of end game melee (most effectively) is to hold charge attacks over and over. Of course this also pins down the most effective melee weapon mods: coil + killing blow + elementals. Not to mention the repeated single animation doesn't flow well enough to make it look like a chain, and losing more flare when used repeatedly.

Just an idea, but what if we tie in usage of stamina to melee attacks? Say a charge attack would do a large of amount of damage (more) but consumes a sizable portion of your max stamina (scaling to amount consumed), and normal attacks work in the same way but with less stamina max consumed. This would also open up the viability of the available stamina mods for warframes and add new possibilities to current melee mods. For example you can now boast your melee strength by having a large, quickly recovering stamina pool as compared to relying on focus/flow/continuity for skill damage.

This might cause issues like making melee weapons more burst oriented with a limiting resource pool, but at least in my opinion adds to the current system of pure spammage.

Please discuss =) I'd personally love to see the melee system improve one way or another.

melee does use stamina. just not a whole lot. you only see it when you spam fast melee attacks. as you wont run out just by meleeing but it can keep your stam down and sprinting will leave you without any quick.

people need a reason to do normal attacks. not to have charge attacks limited.

melee does use stamina. just not a whole lot. you only see it when you spam fast melee attacks. as you wont run out just by meleeing but it can keep your stam down and sprinting will leave you without any quick.

people need a reason to do normal attacks. not to have charge attacks limited.

The idea wasn't meant to limit charge attacks or melee in general.

To clarify, I mean melee attacks should be stronger, a lot stronger, but consumes an equally large amount of stamina to use instead of the current barely noticeable amount. Charge attacks uses more and of course is more devastating, but then regular attacks will also be strong enough and drains stamina rapidly when spammed.

This gives the player the incentive to plan for when to use melee. To spend all stamina quickly for one huge satisfying charged hit (makes the charge animation more satisfying since it would be more powerful, instead of repetition), or a few spread-out fast normal hits on different targets (equally powerful when added together). The key is to trade power for stamina. Adds resource management for the moments of triumph, instead of costless spam for underwhelming results.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/66316-melee-improvements/

Here's a suggestion on trying to improve the melee I personally prefer.

While it seems like an obviously good idea to add to Warframes, I think it wouldn't match the feel of the already established game.

With the addition of full on melee as a wielding weapon (as the thread suggests), it would stray a bit away from the usage of space and guns. And turn the game into something like Devil May Cry or Gunz. Most folks would instinctively hold on to a melee weapon, dashing about in air and hack-n-slash in chaos. While it is cool and all, but it is not like titles such as DMC which executes that precisely with smooth animations and combo hitboxes (being a mainly swords game). Warframe to me is just better suited for main gun play (like the feel of Mass Effect) with swords on the side.

Personally it feels more classy =) 

[...] Warframe to me is just better suited for main gun play (like the feel of Mass Effect) with swords on the side.

Personally it feels more classy =) 

So you want to do something to increase melee usage ingame, without actually making it good enough to be used on its own?

IMHO the part that makes melee-runs difficult is that it doesn't use the same, commonly used buttons as while using Primary/Secondary. A flip modifier helps because then I can focus on using melee that doesn't feel tedious and dull. And the Tenno are "masters of the Sword and Gun", not "Masters of the gun and sometimes swords, too".

Making a melee-mode that makes it easier to use normal melee, while making its damage much greater alongside a larger stamina drain per attack AND introducing the masive-damage-for-large-chunk-of-Stamina charge attack like what you proposed.

To spend all stamina quickly for one huge satisfying charged hit (makes the charge animation more satisfying since it would be more powerful, instead of repetition), or a few spread-out fast normal hits on different targets (equally powerful when added together). The key is to trade power for stamina. Adds resource management for the moments of triumph, instead of costless spam for underwhelming results.

Mostly with the OPs post about charge melee attack, I think Pressurepoint needs a buff is all. 20% damage at every rank, maxes out at 100%. 42% just doesnt cut it. *pun*

Edited by unmog