The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Upgrade - Aura slots

SoulOfTheHunter

This has been pointed out that it is a solution to an existing problem; Mandatory mods
I will target that problem directly rather than the long winded bandaid solution further below. Multishot is an issue on it's own, so I won't address that mandatory mod

Weapons should have a seperate Aura slot. This slot is dedicated to the damage mods specifically; Hornet Strike, Serration Pressure Point.

• Just like aura slots they should increase the overall mod capacity.
  • In the case of Melee weapons, they also have a Stance slot with a polarity but it behaves like an Exilus slot and does not alter the capacity
  • As that 'aura' mod is upgraded it will increase the mod capacity of the weapon. This makes a Primed varaint more valued as it will increase the capacity by a greater amount.

I'm an MR22 player and if I get a new weapon without polarities (or catalyst) and put on the default  R10 Serration, that leaves 8pts for another mod = useless.

If an Aura slot system were available on weapons:
I put Serration into the Aura slot, the weapon has 29 mod capacity, all of which is availble for a couple of dual stat and a reload mod. It allows people to actually get a feel for a weapon before deciding if it is worht a catalyst

Why didn't I think of that before the below overly complicated and expensive concept. I should sleep.

Read if you want, it's a nice idea, but somewhat convoluted
TL:DR mandatory mods take up too much space, space that should be used on mods that change the behaviour of the weapon

Spoiler

I don't know about anybody else, but mods that alter the behaviour of a weapon (reload, zoom, stability, fire rate, mag size, reserve ammo, ammo mutation?) in some cases just aren't worth the mod slot but would be nice to have. What I suggest is as a weapon is prestiged (Forma'd) the option to permanenlty fuse a mod (or rather a 'perk') into the weapon is given. These are not full maxxed out mods as that would be silly OP, just the R0 version.

Some possible mods;

• Fast Hands/Quickdraw
  • Ammo Drum/Trick Mag
  • Hawk eye/Eagle Eye
  • Overview
  • Agile Aim
  • Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun Ammo mutation
  • Magazine Warp/Slip Magazine

Using Latron Wraith as an example;

• It has pretty slow reload speed (2.4)
  • I choose Forma one of the mod slots
  • then I am given the option to choose one of my Rank 0 mods (ONLY the handling type mods, not damage) to fuse to the weapon at the same time
  • I choose a common R0 Fast hands (+5% reload)
  • Weapon is reset to level 0
  • reload speed is now 2.3

If I planned to put 5 Forma on the Latron Wraith I could apply Fast Hands each time.

• 2.4 x (100/1.05) = 2.3
  • 2.3 x (100/1.05) = 2.2
  • 2.2 x (100/1.05) = 2.1
  • 2.1 x (100/1.05) = 2
  • 2.0 x (100/1.05) = 1.9

(I think that's how the maths goes) For reference a R10 Primed Fast Hands reduces reload to 1.5

There are 2 simple ways to limit people putting 100 forma in and reducing the reload to zero and the fire rate to infinity;

1. This fusing can only apply 5x R0 mods. Applying more forma will give you the option to change a fused mod for another, but you cannot add more than 5
  2. Fusing a mod to a weapon can be done infinitly but the value it can be reduced (or increased) to is capped. For example on this weapon you cannot reduce the reload to less than 2 via fusing.

With either of the above limitations in place even if you were to then combine the 'fused' reload speed with Primed Fast Hands you would have a reload speed of 1.2. The only downside is that it somewhat decreases the value of Primed Fast Hands, however there are still weapons that would benefit from both being equiped eg Supra

Fusing Prime mods could be done but would be a complete waste as at R0 they have the same stats as their standard counterparts

There are plenty of weapons that if you could just alter it's behaviour a bit they might become viable; built in ammo mutation on Wraith Vipers, stability on Dual Cestras, fire rate on Ogris/Daikyu etc. Could work on melee but apart from Fury there aren't many suitable mods. Maybe some of the Parry or channeling mods?

What is great about this system is that it allows another level of personalisation, but it doesn't (significantly) alter the damage output. Would certainly need some thought on the numbers, I'm just suggesting the mechanics.

Feedback welcome

Edited by SoulOfTheHunter

7 minutes ago, Rehtael7 said:

It's a bandaid idea. It may cover up a problem, but it doesn't fix it.

Truthfully what needs to happen is DE needs to overhaul the mod selection.

Oh? I didn't realise there was a problem. Although I presume you are refering to evey weapon having a standard set of required mods eg Seration & Split chamber etc. I guess you're right. Because of the slots being taken up by these obligatory mods there is little room for usability mods.

I just realised my whole idea is way too complex. Weapons just need a 'exilus slot' that can only accept usability/handling mods. Problem solved bandaided a different way.

1 minute ago, SoulOfTheHunter said:

Oh? I didn't realise there was a problem. Although I presume you are refering to evey weapon having a standard set of required mods eg Seration & Split chamber etc. I guess you're right. Because of the slots being taken up by these obligatory mods there is little room for usability mods.

Yeah, sounds like you're discovering the phenomenon of "mandatory mods"

I don't actually have an issue with mandatory mods; it's a necessary 'evil'. Multishot is silly no doubt, that really needs a fix.

Maybe rather than a exilus slot for handling mods it should be a dedicated slot just for the damage mod (Serration, Hornet Strike, Preasure Point). A mod slot without a drain (or buff)  with a buff effect on mod capacity (like Aura/stances?) in which either the normal or primed variant can sit. As an exilus slot it kind of sits seperatly to everything as an overall damage multiplier.

5 minutes ago, SoulOfTheHunter said:

I don't actually have an issue with mandatory mods; it's a necessary 'evil'. Multishot is silly no doubt, that really needs a fix.

Maybe rather than a exilus slot for handling mods it should be a dedicated slot just for the damage mod (Serration, Hornet Strike, Preasure Point). A mod slot without a drain (or buff) effect on mod capacity in which either the normal or primed variant can sit. As an exilus slot it kind of sits seperatly to everything as an overall damage multiplier.

It's not necessary at all. People lie to themselves and say it is, but it's not. Take a look at the item system in Smite, that's an example of a good item system. Each item equipped has multiple benefits, making them less comperable to other items. There are multiple ways to build defense, so you can opt to go for a little bit of health and an offensive boost, or you can go heavy on the defense, loading up on multiple health mods with other benefits.

7 minutes ago, Rehtael7 said:

It's not necessary at all. People lie to themselves and say it is, but it's not. Take a look at the item system in Smite, that's an example of a good item system. Each item equipped has multiple benefits, making them less comperable to other items. There are multiple ways to build defense, so you can opt to go for a little bit of health and an offensive boost, or you can go heavy on the defense, loading up on multiple health mods with other benefits.

But Smite's items are things like "+15 physical power +15% speed" isn't that just combining damage mods like Serration with Speed Trigger? In essence you are saying Serration should be replaced with Drift style mods? Simpler still, apply the system that is on warframes to weapons?

Just now, SoulOfTheHunter said:

But Smite's items are things like "+15 physical power +15% speed" isn't that just combining damage mods like Serration with Speed Trigger? In essence you are saying Serration should be replaced with Drift style mods? Simpler still, apply the system that is on warframes to weapons?

No, to a greater extent than drift mods. Currently if I want Shields, there's one way to get it. (And Vigor, but Vigor is statistically wank) I'd like to see multiple avenues for the benefit of shields, each of which has different side benefits, so I pick and choose which shield mod is right for my build.

For weapons, this is as simple as being able to get damage bonuses along with minor QoL attributes like reload speed, magazine size, accuracy, etc.

36 minutes ago, Rehtael7 said:

No, to a greater extent than drift mods. Currently if I want Shields, there's one way to get it. (And Vigor, but Vigor is statistically wank) I'd like to see multiple avenues for the benefit of shields, each of which has different side benefits, so I pick and choose which shield mod is right for my build.

For weapons, this is as simple as being able to get damage bonuses along with minor QoL attributes like reload speed, magazine size, accuracy, etc.

That's fair enough I guess, in summary more mods that are actually close in capabilities, and the difference is made up with a seperate benefit. Something like;

• 'Burst Shields - 300% sheild capacity & +70% shield recharge' combines a reduced Redirection with reduced Fast Recharge
  • 'Depleted Defenses-  250% shield capacity, radial AoE when depleted -30% recharge' Reminds me of Borderlands, now I want this to be a thing :D

In terms of weapons do you mean mods that alter 2 unrelated aspects of the weapon? Like 'Lightning Reload - +60% electrical damage, +40% reload speed'?
Or specifcally for alternative Serration "120% Damage, +40% reload"? They better reduce the cost of upgrading mods then, screw upgrading an second damage mod to R10.

I could deff get behind that. More mods = more choice = more better.