Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Discussion] Weapon Set Bonuses/ Combination Weapons

Gerrador

The idea of Weapon sets has been floating around for quite some time; 

There have been a considerable number of specific sets released into the game already; Boltor set (Boltor, Boltace, [Ak]Bolto), Soma set (Soma, Aksomati, Dual Raza), Tigris set (Tigris, Akjagara, Redeemer), Paris set (Paris, Kunai, Anku), Mutalist set (Mutalist cernos, Dual toxocyst, Lesion), Simaris set (Simulor, Gammacor, Heliocor), Any syndicate set with the addition of syndicate melee, Any faction set (Grineer, Corpus, Infested). It seems like with the number already released, the idea of adding set-specific bonuses has become an appealing concept to DE, especially with one of the more recent sets; the Mutalist set. They've already implemented a series of similar head-shot specific effects for each item in the set, so what seems like an interesting step forward would be to gain bonuses based on what other weapons are equipped in that set.

I keep coming back to the idea of a modular set of weapons. The idea stems from the appearance of the Simaris set, specifically how they fold up into small, compact components. The idea would be that when multiple components are in the same loadout, you can hold down a key (middle-click for instance) and the weapons would merge together with a unique animation that could be sped up by holster speed. Once fused, the weapon would become augmented and the damage spread and/or supplimental stats and firing mechanism would change.

For a combination of the simulor + gammacor for instance, the fire mechanism could change to the gammacor laser, but at maximum range a simulor ball is suspended in front, dragging in the direction you point. As the beam focuses into the orb, the beam could thicken or the ball could enlarge and form a movable vortex.

If anyone else has an idea about this, please post a response with an concept, concern, or possible mechanism that you think could work for a weapon set. :)

Admittedly, i dislike this for a simple reason. It forces you to use a specific set of weapons for it if it became a major part of it. That said, i wouldn't mind this happening for syndicate weapons for example, such as when i bring a Telos Boltor, Bolto and (future) Boltace into a mission,

9 hours ago, (XB1)Twinna25 said:

Admittedly, i dislike this for a simple reason. It forces you to use a specific set of weapons for it if it became a major part of it. That said, i wouldn't mind this happening for syndicate weapons for example, such as when i bring a Telos Boltor, Bolto and (future) Boltace into a mission,

I'm worried about the implications of filling your loadout with dead weapons as well. Although set bonuses would be nice, there would be some definite drawbacks, and to be honest, that's why I think it would work.

Giving a bonus based on the weapons in your loadout requires you to have a considerable trade-off; sacrificing more powerful weapons or using weapons that don't fit your playstyle in order to gain some sort of incentive. If this did get implemented in some form though, it could very easily go wrong where some bonuses are far better than others and incentivize too much towards overpowered sets, on the opposite end would be if DE released a new set where all the weapons are useless unless equipped together. (Imagine boltor set, but with worse stats but +20% damage across the board when in a trio)