Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kittens in the backyard, how can I handle that?

Kethus

Our neighbors didn't want kittens, so they let their cat give birth to them somewhere outside, it picked our backyard. There is a garden my grandparents are taking care of and they want to kill them, because they are messing it up. When the kittens see people they hide in an outdoor toilet that hasn't been used since I can remember, so my grandmother ties a rope around the door's handle and puts firewood in front of the crack under the door, so nothing strong enough to move it can get in or out, so they can starve to death. My grandparents are usually very nice, but they got all serious when I brought it up. They agreed to release them, probably thinking that that would be enough for me and I'll never check the backyard again, only to lock them again afterwards. When I noticed I told them and they did the same thing again. They really seem upset that the kittens are breaking plants and urinating on them. A friend of mine who doesn't live in my town suggested taking them to an animal shelter or something like that, but there are no such things in my small town. They are also still in the stage where their mother brings them food so even if we captured them and released them somewhere else they'd probably die. If we told the neighbors to get their cats they would have to go through our garage and half-basement-thing to get to the backyard and have a good look at it and nobody in my house wants that. They don't want the kittens anyway, so probably wouldn't agree to take them if we captured them. So now is simply leaving them to starve to death in the backyard while hearing meowing every morning from the window the only thing I can do?

50 minutes ago, Kethus said:

Our neighbors didn't want kittens, so they let their cat give birth to them somewhere outside, it picked our backyard. There is a garden my grandparents are taking care of and they want to kill them, because they are messing it up. When the kittens see people they hide in an outdoor toilet that hasn't been used since I can remember, so my grandmother ties a rope around the door's handle and puts firewood in front of the crack under the door, so nothing strong enough to move it can get in or out, so they can starve to death. My grandparents are usually very nice, but they got all serious when I brought it up. They agreed to release them, probably thinking that that would be enough for me and I'll never check the backyard again, only to lock them again afterwards. When I noticed I told them and they did the same thing again. They really seem upset that the kittens are breaking plants and urinating on them. A friend of mine who doesn't live in my town suggested taking them to an animal shelter or something like that, but there are no such things in my small town. They are also still in the stage where their mother brings them food so even if we captured them and released them somewhere else they'd probably die. If we told the neighbors to get their cats they would have to go through our garage and half-basement-thing to get to the backyard and have a good look at it and nobody in my house wants that. They don't want the kittens anyway, so probably wouldn't agree to take them if we captured them. So now is simply leaving them to starve to death in the backyard while hearing meowing every morning from the window the only thing I can do?

Plead with your grandparents(Caring more for plants than animals is like caring more about a computer A.I. than a human being) Try to take them to a shelter or look online for someone that can take them from you. If not it's your neighbors fault if they die.

So your grandparents are trying to kill them and the neighbour is not going to step up and has in fact abandoned them.

Not a great start for them. They are not feral and won't survive without a mother to teach them the feral way of life.

Call a shelter, but don't mention your grandparents trying to off them. They can advise what the current law is in your country OP.

Then take it from there. If they have shelter and food from their mother than that should be okay for now.

What you can do is tell your GP's that if they kill the kittens they will quickly attract flies, maggots and rats and foxes when they bury them. 

Buy them some repellent for round the plants to keep them away.