Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Next Generation Cross Platform Mini Games.

General-Griffin

So I saw a post about the nexus app and how a guy wanted more features on it and even a hacking mini game which is a great idea to improve the app but I want to talk about something that would change the game.

A lot of games now are not just looking to players on the same console to change how the game plays but are instead looking to players "out of the house" as it were and locking in to a major demographic while they do it. Most of us own a smart phone or a tablet or will do at some point soon which means there's a whole lot of time and a whole lot of people that the major developers of A list games are now aiming for.

Would any of you be interested in a tablet game where you would fly a drone following frames using a machine gun and a rocket launcher as a heavy attack? It sounds nuts but it's not. Games coming to the PS4 and Xbox One as well as new PC shooters are going to include Co-op play of this kind but just not on this scale quite yet which has more to do with the amount of people that would have the tablets with processors capable of playing Warframe or the still small amount of people with tablets capable of playing a downgraded version of Warframe that still connects to the usual players servers.

Tom Clancy will be allowing players to pilot roller grenades towards the enemy.

Battle field 3 will allow a person on a phone or tablet to fill the commander role.

Watch Dogs will let a person hack objects and start events around the player in game.

It would be a lot of work but I'd love to have a game on my phone that would let me connect to my friends games in an extra slot allowed on every game for one drone to join the game and provide support all the while just being a little bit of light entertainment to the person on the other end.

Plus this would give me a great reason to get the Nvidia Shield with it's new Tegra 4 capable of running the new 4k displays...while streaming a PC game from your computer or while running games it's self. Could even include motion play allowing a person to tilt the device as the drone would to move in that direction or break. 

The bottom line is the tech is about now and although this would take a whole new team and probably a whole lot of time, once they have managed cross platform play between PC and PS4 (If they do) then tablet's joining the a lower resolution version of the game with no extra effects (aka no bodies, no effects, just the room, objects, players and enemies) is not such a far cry.

It would be a lot of work but I'd love to have a game on my phone that would let me connect to my friends games in an extra slot allowed on every game for one drone to join the game and provide support all the while just being a little bit of light entertainment to the person on the other end.

Then this is not the game where you should search for such an option. You already listed a couple games that will have this option, play those, I don't see why Warframe has to do the same thing.

It's going to be the next big USP that the major developers take advantage of, drawing players from an ever expanding player base. The difference to game play for regular players would be negligible while still offering players a War frame experience on the go.  It doesn't have to do the same thing per say and it wouldn't be, as none of them go this far but due to the capability of the engine and it's free2play model having players that get more invested in the game means more players , meaning more game time and eventually the overall improvement of the game and the experience as a whole.

Just an idea, the sooner I can get Warframe portable the better.

Edited by General-Griffin

meaning more game time and eventually the overall improvement of the game and the experience as a whole.

Yeah, right. More crappy game time. I don't even know how you can call what you described up until now to be 'game time' or part of the game. It's a lacking experience that doesn't resemble at all the game. It's like you'll take anything that they'll throw at you as long as you feel 'connected' to the game.

playing a support done while at a friends house so I can join his game would be sweet, so would allowing family or my girlfriend to join me would also be sweet. I'd see the game but float above it meaning movement is simplified for tablets and phones. It makes sense to me and games like the ones I mention will be the precursors to games that take advantage of cross platforming in this way. 

Both of you have valid points.  When I come to play Warframe, I need the ninja experience.  However, when I am at work and I can't really play (obviously) but I will  spend time on the forums instead, and researching things on wikias.  This is a way to better my experience without having to play the game directly.  

Would it be cool to control extra stuff from my tablet or phone?  Sure!

Needed?  Nope.

I guess the point of this reply is to say the topic was to suggest cross-platforming mini-games, not "please tell me how this is a bad idea." but also this game is in such a early phase some of these types of suggestions are far off.  I'm really glad they did push for cross-platforming this early on with Sony.  A step in the right direction I think, and actually brings the game closer to achieving the OPs suggestion in the thread.

Both of you have valid points.  When I come to play Warframe, I need the ninja experience.  However, when I am at work and I can't really play (obviously) but I will  spend time on the forums instead, and researching things on wikias.  This is a way to better my experience without having to play the game directly.  

Would it be cool to control extra stuff from my tablet or phone?  Sure!

Needed?  Nope.

I guess the point of this reply is to say the topic was to suggest cross-platforming mini-games, not "please tell me how this is a bad idea." but also this game is in such a early phase some of these types of suggestions are far off.  I'm really glad they did push for cross-platforming this early on with Sony.  A step in the right direction I think, and actually brings the game closer to achieving the OPs suggestion in the thread.

Would it be cool to control extra stuff such as the foundry/market/mod system? Yes. Would it be cool to play the role of a crappy sentinel? I don't think so.

For now at least, or for the next 2 years, I don't want them to waste their development time with such things.

Indeed, time is a factor and so is money. Still I'd love to play one of those drones in the car or on the train. Logging in your account could let you use your sentinels atbs and mods so it would level your sentinel. I think another great thing would be allowing it to tag materials and mods. Even a single use per level revive so it can give a tenno a couple thousand volts to get them sitting upright would be great fun. 

Ah the idea of this game on a tablet gets me excited, to be honest with the nvidia shield playing this game in a low res version would probably be possible.

http://shield.nvidia.com/

Control scheme wise if it can run on an xbox controller it can run on that. 

*Edit*

Just looked in to it and android can run Open GL but obviously no Direct X, Does this game use Direct X or Open GL

Edited by General-Griffin

Maybe you could play as Lotus, planning the entire route for the group, deciding which doors are green and which are red, cancel lockdowns, designate targets with a dmg buff, "locate" extra resource treasure troves, maybe occasionally give the group an energy/speed boost. Har harr