Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Disrupter Change?

Auseil

Basically, most people hate disruptors, some people want them nerfed, and some dont.

Personally, i feel that they are mostly bearable, but can be disproportionately punishing on certain occasions; namely, when they sneak up on you and drain you, or when you play well, and still get drained.

Here are some suggestions for changing them, I'm thinking one change is enough.

EDIT: It seems some people have a hard time ignoring the first two suggestions, and since a lot of people will only read the OP and not the discussion, let me explain just a little.

Maybe this wasnt clear, but i dont want all of these things at the same time, that would clearly make disruptors overpowered. I do not want 1 and 2 at the same time. 

Also, let me make it clear, my intention is to keep their level of threat, but remove their inconsistency. That means, when you critique, try to focus on the mechanic (respectively: lesser, but aoe drain, silence, audio cues, direct nerf), whether it would be preferable or not, and what it would take to make it reasonable while keeping its functionality. For instance, you think suggestion 2 is too strong, then say what part of it is too strong, i am not trying to run a dictatorship here, i dont care if my suggestions are implemented word for word.

1: Give them an aura similar to the healers' aura, that pulses and drains a set amount of energy (100? more?) from every warframe in range, each pulse. (and remove their current ability)

2: Give them a static aura with a large radius that prevents any warframe within from using abilities untill they leave its range, maybe also make them faster to prevent players from escaping. (and remove their current ability)

3: Add some sort of distinct sound to them, maybe a hum? (to prevent players from loosing all their energy with no prior notice, i would personally love this and be satisfied)

4: When you kill a disruptor, a portion of the energy it drained is dropped on the ground. (though i suppose this would be a direct nerf, now that i think about it, i actually dont like this option)

All these suggestions are aimed at making them more predictable, while keeping their primary function (disrupting the player and forcing a change in behavior), and giving players a choice of how they want to deal with them. Thoughts? 

Edited by Auseil

You're just asking for the community to complain even more. 

Giving disruptors auras that drain 100 energy and render your skills inoperable is pretty much guaranteeing you will lose once they get anywhere near the pod. You're pretty dependent on skills once you get to higher waves in Defense.

I like suggestions 2 (minus the super speed Disruptor) and 3. Suggestion 1 would make them even more OP than currently, and 4 is kinda "meh".

What I would prefer is changing them in two stages, one now and one later when more content is added.

1 (now). Give Disruptors loud unique sounds (and Ancients in general really) so we know when one's on the map or when one's about to charge/attack, which drastically decreases the frustration of being sneaked up on due to their complete silence.

2 (later). When DE gets around to increasing enemy variety and AI, thus increasing and sustaining challenge fairly all around, then they can nerf the Disruptor's energy drain to a low percentage (scales up with enemy level) per hit and nerf their knockdowns to staggers. Warframe abilities will be locked while the screen is all fuzzy. At that point the Ancients' armor should also be significantly decreased, as right now on high levels they are rediculously tanky for the amount they appear in. I would like Disruptors to keep their 100% shield drain though, as that keeps them as a potent threat.

Edited by Madotsuki

You're just asking for the community to complain even more. 

Giving disruptors auras that drain 100 energy and render your skills inoperable is pretty much guaranteeing you will lose once they get anywhere near the pod. You're pretty dependent on skills once you get to higher waves in Defense.

OK, couple of things.

The reason the community is complaining is because the disruptors are annoying and unpredictable. It isnt because they drain all your energy and shields, its because they do it in a way that is inconsistent. If they drained less, people wouldnt mind as much, or if they were more consistent, people wouldnt mind as much either, the problem is that they drain a lot, and are inconsistent.

Lets not get into how powerful it would be, 100 was just a number, and i didnt even mention a frequency. The silence aura might be a bit much, i was using the current 100% drain as a reference, temporary silence would have the same momentary effect, but let you clear the area as soon as you kill the disruptor.

You are telling me i am asking the community to complain even more, but you ignore the suggestion that i clearly state is my preferred option, and by far the least invasive change.

I get that you are on the disruptors-are-our-friends train, but please try to be objective here, instead of only addressing the most radical ideas.

Sorry if im being snappy, its just that you are clearly being selective in your reading, and using a derogatory tone accompanied by bolded text.

I like suggestions 2 (minus the super speed Disruptor) and 3. Suggestion 1 would make them even more OP than currently, and 4 is kinda "meh".

What I would prefer is changing them in two stages, one now and one later when more content is added.

1 (now). Give Disruptors loud unique sounds (and Ancients in general really) so we know when one's on the map or when one's about to charge/attack, which drastically decreases the frustration of being sneaked up on due to their complete silence.

3 (later). When DE gets around to increasing enemy variety and AI, thus increasing and sustaining challenge fairly all around, then they can nerf the Disruptor's energy drain to a low percentage (scales up with enemy level) per hit and nerf their knockdowns to staggers. Warframe abilities will be locked while the screen is all fuzzy. At that point the Ancients' armor should also be significantly decreased, as right now on high levels they are rediculously tanky for the amount they appear in. I would like Disruptors to keep their 100% shield drain though, as that keeps them as a potent threat.

I agree, unique sounds are a priority. As far as reducing the drain, and locking abilities while fuzzy goes, i really like the idea, it would make them less punishing long-term, but keep their short-term functionality. I agree that they should keep the 100% shield drain. I am a bit indifferent when it comes to changing their armor, maybe a better option would be making their weak spot more accessible? Like changing their thin leg to be the same as the thick one.

Edited by Auseil

I agree, unique sounds are a priority. As far as reducing the drain, and locking abilities while fuzzy goes, i really like the idea, it would make them less punishing long-term, but keep their short-term functionality. I agree that they should keep the 100% shield drain. I am a bit indifferent when it comes to changing their armor, maybe a better option would be making their weak spot more accessible? Like changing their thin leg to be the same as the thick one.

My main reasoning for the armor reduction is due to the increase in enemy variety and AI, which would increase the challenge already, so we wouldn't need so many walking bullet sponges around. Plus, I usually see Ancients as a perfect "brute" unit instead of an "elite" unit due to their spawn rate. By brute i mean a less common enemy that is tougher than normal enemies (such as Chargers and Smokers in L4D) and by elite i mean mini-boss level (such as Tanks, or badass rank enemies in Borderlands 2) that only spawn once or twice per level.

How about changing how it drains energy? I always thought it should attach it's tentacle to one Tenno, and drain their shields and energy at a moderate rate.

So kinda like the leech ospreys? I also considered it, but i think they would be too weak then? maybe if it was aoe, like phorids scream?

... Your suggestions will make them even more unbearable.

OK, you arent being very specific, or productive. Please state which ones are unbearable (i have a pretty good idea, but humor me), and while you are at it, what do you think of the other suggestions in the thread?