Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Contradictory Features In Warframe

VendettaMachine

I love Warframe. The controls are tight, the progression is engaging and the format is unique. That said, I believe there are some issues with the way the inferable ambitions of the game are pursued.

1: The mobility mechanics and its extents (wall-running, ground-sliding, zip-lining, etc.) are effectively stunted by the comparably minimal space and design of the levels. The Orokin tower levels in the Void contain hidden obstacle courses. They're brief, but they give some example of what the mobility available to players can achieve. There are some hidden rooms in more common levels, but for the most part they go unnoticed or ignored. Generally, though, few of these unique abilities are particularly useful. In my opinion, there are plenty of ways this could be adjusted:

* Chase sequences, complete with non-linear paths that allow for creative use of the Tenno and its skills
   * Area discovery, with unique rewards and/or recorded percentages

* Stealth incentives, such as guaranteed critical hits on unaware targets (I'm not certain that isn't already a feature), extra experience rewarded, or bonus chance percentage increases for level completion without detection (that could, in additional effect, be a justifying contrast for the player that prefers a solo venture now and again)

* Escape sequences, more explosive, spontaneous and pressing than the existing few

* Areas accessible exclusively by pushing the boundaries of the mobility mechanics, similar to the Guild Wars 2 jumping puzzles

2: Warframes, exciting and unique, may find issue maintaining their personality and contrast in the face of interchangeable or otherwise directly comparable abilities (e.g. Loki and Ash's invisibility and teleportation skills, Rhino and Trinity's Iron skin and Link skills, etc.)

While I do understand that an intention behind the building of the characters is to keep some lines blurred for the sake of giving players a better degree of personal preference, comparisons like these can easily serve to render one suit or another definitely worse, rather than contrasted. I believe this can also be adjusted without being changed altogether:

* Multiple skill options for the available skill slots. Rather than having Rhino's Iron Skin as his only possible third skill, for example, there could be added more options that tend toward his general role in combat, without entirely limiting him to what is expected.

* Armor classes for Warframes: I will admit this is a more personal hope than an obvious solution, but I do believe it has potential to help differentiate suits. It already exists in a sense, what with innate armor and speed stats. If in addition to general mods, however, players could hunt for heavier or lighter armor to develop and personalize their favorite Warframes, there could exist incentive to play one suit beyond the level cap.

3: Incentive to play all of the levels on each planet runs dry after their initial completion if they don't further yield the quickest experience or materials. Warframe is an extremely enjoyable shooter that boasts a unique focus on PvE content unlike most of its similarly-controlled peers. There are both general and unique ways to add benefit to each level uniquely, I believe, and hopefully anything I suggest will spark your consideration.

* Unique encounters (NPC vendors with exclusive items, enemies like the Stalker that have chances of dropping their equipment [possibly with their own rules of engagement, such as melee-only or sidearm-only duels], chases as mentioned previously, etc.) of varying chance percentages, exclusive to specific areas

* Migrating encounters that adjust according to high or low overall play percentages

* Level play counters that have increasing or diminishing returns based on times played

That about wraps up the features I can currently think of that I'd love to see in the game. Warframe is outstanding thus far, and it's still only in beta. It's free-to-play, yet I've paid for founder's packages because I have high hopes for the game and its future based on what I've seen already.

Thank you to any who took the time to read! I'd love to hear reply from anyone.

Hey there.

Right then, dealing with your post...

I can see a few good points in this; I think chase sequences and timed extractions should definitely be more encouraged.

But, I understand that you are fairly new (like me) so i'll put a few features here to rest:

You do gain guaranteed  critical hits and insta-kills on 'unaware' targets in the game, making stealth play more than a decisive feature (people simply choose to run, gun and slaughter because of the replay feature of the game (as you mentioned) as it can become tedious to farm and grind the levels.

The stalker CAN drop BPs for his weapons, but it is merely the luck of the RNG gods that decrees it - some have several encounters and no BP drops, some get each of the BPs back-to-back.

Although the armour in Warframe can't be changed, the alternate helmets can give a permanent stat change to the frame - adding a higher level of 'X' and a lower level of 'Y'

As for a test of mobility, there is currently one expression of the free-running already available in the Orokin Void missions. By exploring an alt. path in the level you can unlock a timed sequence of zones the require a quick succession of wall runs, slides and flips to get to the other side.

This was just to clear up a few uncertainties in the game. From what we can understand, DE are expanding on most of these features with upcoming updates, so hang in there. This game only really gets better. 

As for this topic though, you should definitely keep it up. There are some interesting thoughts here that should really be looked into.

Thanks for your time. :)

Hey there.

Right then, dealing with your post...

I can see a few good points in this; I think chase sequences and timed extractions should definitely be more encouraged.

But, I understand that you are fairly new (like me) so i'll put a few features here to rest:

You do gain guaranteed  critical hits and insta-kills on 'unaware' targets in the game, making stealth play more than a decisive feature (people simply choose to run, gun and slaughter because of the replay feature of the game (as you mentioned) as it can become tedious to farm and grind the levels.

The stalker CAN drop BPs for his weapons, but it is merely the luck of the RNG gods that decrees it - some have several encounters and no BP drops, some get each of the BPs back-to-back.

Although the armour in Warframe can't be changed, the alternate helmets can give a permanent stat change to the frame - adding a higher level of 'X' and a lower level of 'Y'

As for a test of mobility, there is currently one expression of the free-running already available in the Orokin Void missions. By exploring an alt. path in the level you can unlock a timed sequence of zones the require a quick succession of wall runs, slides and flips to get to the other side.

This was just to clear up a few uncertainties in the game. From what we can understand, DE are expanding on most of these features with upcoming updates, so hang in there. This game only really gets better. 

As for this topic though, you should definitely keep it up. There are some interesting thoughts here that should really be looked into.

Thanks for your time. :)

Thanks much for your response and clarifications! More than I mean my comments to be suggestions of total change, I mean them to be encouraging of the aspects I think most enjoyable that can afford some expansion in the long term. The game is in beta still, so I'm especially excited to bother posting with my high hopes. 

I wasn't clear about the Stalker; I've gotten the Hate and Dread drops. I actually meant to encourage that the feature be taken further, as it's exciting (personally, it reminds me of invading phantoms in the Demon's and Dark Souls) and I think it's a facet worth expanding on.

I'm aware of the helmet alternatives as well. I've found the blueprints for three of them so far, and they're exciting to find. I know that they're bringing more helmets along, and I'm hoping that pushes the options for trait modification even further and that they keep it up.

I actually mentioned the timed obstacle courses in the Void but I probably described them too vaguely. They're fun to find and they encourage exploration! My point about the options of mobility, though, is that its uses are extremely contextual so far. I hope they build on it in that light, and that exploration by means of the unique maneuvers available can be equally unique in accesses and/or reward. For the time being, I find myself wall-running in corridors for no particular reason other than aesthetic.

Again, thank you very much for reading and even more for contributing. I hope I didn't come across as currently disappointed in the game; on the contrary! I like the game so much, in fact, that it's one of the few I've bothered to engage in the forums of. I want to see it flourish, and I'm certain that we will.