Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Xp System Discourages Power Use

Onbashira

Because xp is shared between players based off how the enemy was killed, frames are already the easiest thing to level in the game, someone using their powers to clear a defense wave leads to a lot of wasted xp.  I have seen this lead to resentment between players in a party.  It also discourages me from using my powers and inconveniencing other players trying to level their stuff.  But the powers are most of the reason to pick a warframe.  I believe something should be changed to prevent players from getting frustrated with other players.

Either xp gained for a lv30 item is cut between the other items or team mate kills have their xp split between items.  If power leveling an item without using it is a concern then for the first option the xp could only be split one.  I.E. items get 1/3 xp for kills with maxed out other weapons only instead of all xp funneling into the one not 30 item equipped.

I agree it leads to bad situations in defense maps a lot.  In fact I just had some clan members the other day complaining about 'spammers' in defense missions, 'spamming 4'.  At first I wondered why that was even a problem, then I realized he was trying to get xp for his weapons.

The worst part is that playing with other people is by far faster than leveling solo, yet then you have to worry about how your teammates are disposing of enemies.  Quite annoying.

I agree.

I think when you get XP it should go to everything you have equipped, possibly less going to the weapons/frame that didn't contribute, but not so much that it discourages their use like you've stated.

Also, remove the XP distance limit. I hate having to stand right on top of the Cryopod, and if I don't I get b**ched at for not sharing XP. My tactic is to narrow the enemies down BEFORE they get to the pod and I would like for this strategy to be supported.

I too have noticed this issue, and it does indeed cause frustration when playing with others who like to clear defense waves with their abilities, especially early on when weapon xp is easily obtained and abilities are not really needed to protect the pod.  Nowadays I play as a "defense hero" and camp spawn locations so I can get uninterrupted weapon experience, before X frame shows up to wipe out the enemies I am gunning down.

I think a fix is needed, discouraging ability use is a bad thing and op's suggestion is satisfactory.

Agreed it needs a fix.... though people complaining should remember that the 25%ish bonus exp for actually beating the level is still a thing. Don't hesitate if you need to do it to save the day. I *will* zorencopter into Miasma every time I see a bombardier or napalm in grineer defense regardless of if you tell me to stop.

Utility/CC based powers tend to be better in "strength" anyways, after mobs hit lv50 or so. Unless you're Saryn.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

spamming 4 clears the low waves faster though wich will get you to higher waves wich are then almost immune to "4" and have to be killed by weapons while also yielding more exp. 

For normal missions there should be enough enemys killed by weapons to level them up quite fast. I never had a problem getting a gun to level 30. In fact boss battles are quite nice for leveling your primary, because usually they get shot down by the players and give quite a nice chunk of exp.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity

That's not what the wiki says.  Assuming the wiki is correct.

I believe his statement (Posted by Mythrex) to be true. I joined a high level mission with an unranked side arm (Dual bolto) and before I could even fire a shot some of my teammates had killed a group of infested and my side arm ranked up a level. I have seen this happen on other occasions where my frame or weapons rank up while I'm searching nearby rooms and another teammate is killing stuff.

Edited by Izeck

I'm not sure, but I recently had a Kiste run were I myself almost exclusively used my primary (I want to get rid of this damn braton NOW! I CAN'T STAND THIS THING'S CRAP ACCURACY). My Vipers and my Zorens both got decent exp.

Then I had another run at Vaelfor where I had like 95% of the kills with my Orthos (and one Soundquake), and as expected my melee was the only thing that really got any exp.

I think it might be that when an ally gets a kill, all three weapons get a fraction of the exp (and your armor (probably) gets full). If *you* get the kill, your warframe and the weapon you used get full and the other two get nothing.

Will require some testing... my Nyx comes out of the oven Friday (though I'll be busy all that day). I could forma something again, but I need my remaining formas for my Dera (assuming I love it as much as I'm expecting I will).

I believe his statement (Posted by Mythrex) to be true. I joined a high level mission with an unranked side arm (Dual bolto) and before I could even fire a shot some of my teammates had killed a group of infested and my side arm ranked up a level. I have seen this happen on other occasions where my frame or weapons rank up while I'm searching nearby rooms and another teammate is killing stuff.

I've also had something similar happen recently when I did a defense mission with my unranked Kunai. My friend uber'd a room in the first wave before I even got to use the weapon and I gained a rank from that.

Yes it seems like it is split.  I can't tell what the percentages are.  Although this kind of illustrates another problem.  More elements of this game are arcane and misunderstood than should be.  The one spot most of us have for information is unreliable at best.

I.E. items get 1/3 xp for kills with maxed out other weapons only instead of all xp funneling into the one not 30 item equipped.

I think the answer to this is simple enough, there should be some kind of indicator for how much you used the weapon along WITH the maxed level 30 weapon which allows the wasted xp to go somewhere it deserves to go. That way it also encourages the use of more than just one weapon in the run.

Because, let's be honest here. It's preeetty easy to just run around with Hek and blow things away an entire match without a care in the world. (Nerfed or not.) But being able to simply rely on your unranked arm as a backup-weapon if you wish to level it seems like a decent idea. -Shrugs.-

Who here doesn't stun things with their sword so they can shoot it in the head sometimes?

It has already been said, but I want to repeat and reinforce the knowledge that;

When YOU kill something YOU only get XP on the item that killed it.

When any OTHER team member kills something near you, YOU gain XP on all weapons.

So if you want to level up a sidearm, for example, it only matters what you use, everyone else gives you XP for the sidearm for every kill, no mater how they do it.

EDIT: Having said that, the opening statement is true. The XP system currently rewards all players except the one who used the Ult with XP for all weapons, while the person who used it only gets frame XP. Therefore, it is completely correct to say that the XP system discourages using ultimates.

Edited by liavalenth