Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

need help with graphics - flickering textures

SigweardStoneFist

Question

First of all, I think it's supposed to be in this section since warframe isn't the only one having the issue and I don't suspect a bug.

Also I don't want to open a ticket yet here at DE or at NVidia.

Anyways, I have flickering textures on those which are transparency and contain a light source.

This includes, shadows, syndanas, dojo decorations(if shadows), ect. ( Or on battlefield hardline, flickering dust on dustbowl, if you needed some extra tip )

card:  NVidia GTX 970 4GB

I tried fiddling around with ambient occlusion, bloom, ect. but the problems stays there.

ReInstall of the graphics driver didn't work and neither do I suspect an overheat issue, since it's already there after I boot Warframe directly after booting my PC.

I am open for any suggestion.

3 answers to this question

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you have a resolution or frame rate issue.

As in, your display does not support the resolution. With a card like yours, you should have no trouble running the game at the highest settings without breaking a sweat. If your display has a maximum resolution of 1080p and you have the resolution set for 4k, that can cause the issue you're seeing because the display can't process that much data. Try playing with your screen resolution or, better yet, find out what the stats are for your display and adjust your settings accordingly.

The more likely cause is that your frame rate is going into low-Earth orbit and the display can't process it fast enough. If your display has a refresh rate of 120hz and your frame rate is closer to 200 fps, artifacts and tearing are going to be present. The solution here is to turn V-Sync on and see if it makes a difference. Yes, I know, it locks the frame rate at 60 fps, but it should help.

1 hour ago, DCypherThis13 said:

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you have a resolution or frame rate issue.

As in, your display does not support the resolution. With a card like yours, you should have no trouble running the game at the highest settings without breaking a sweat. If your display has a maximum resolution of 1080p and you have the resolution set for 4k, that can cause the issue you're seeing because the display can't process that much data. Try playing with your screen resolution or, better yet, find out what the stats are for your display and adjust your settings accordingly.

The more likely cause is that your frame rate is going into low-Earth orbit and the display can't process it fast enough. If your display has a refresh rate of 120hz and your frame rate is closer to 200 fps, artifacts and tearing are going to be present. The solution here is to turn V-Sync on and see if it makes a difference. Yes, I know, it locks the frame rate at 60 fps, but it should help.

It's a 1080p at 60 Hertz, the only reason for that being I don't see a difference between 60 or higher except the input lag which doesn't bother me.

I shall however try VSync, since my monitor only supports 60 Hertz and the games run at around 100-200 fps(depending on the game).

Does this VSync, have to be on adaptive, adaptive(half refresh rate), on or fast?

----------

Edit:

Adaptive VSync seems to have solved the issue for Warframe(actually all games).

So here I have learned something new, higher hertz makes a different.

So I will need a new monitor I suppose?

Edited by SigweardStoneFist

To take advantage of the full power of your graphics card, yes, a new monitor would be required. However, if you're happy with the smoothness and performance of your system as it is, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're not going to hurt anything and if the card can afford to be "lazy", it's probably going to last you a very long time because it's so under-stressed. I'm running my video output to a 4K 120hz TV at 1080p/60fps and I couldn't be happier. All of my games run super smooth and the graphics quality is spot on. I only see dips in my frame rate with certain titles and maps/situations. For the record, I'm running an old 650Ti 2 Gb, not the 970 beast you have...