Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Observation About Lobbies

Sumnus

While playing a few missions earlier tonight, ranking up Nova and some weapons for Mastery, I got paired with a very laggy host. I don't particularly mind. The people who weren't lagging had it covered, so I was content priming everything and letting it do it's thing. I wasn't contributing as much as I could have without the lag, but they didn't need me, so it didn't matter. Perfectly fine.

But what this led to, was me mentioning to some clan members in TeamSpeak that as players, having an option to queue as the host would be a nice feature. For those games where i'm leveling something specific - in tonight's case, it was the Vulkar. As you can imagine having high lag makes you miss most of your shots when you fire and suddenly the target is across the room. This wouldn't be something we'd have to have on at all times, or something we'd ever have to utilize at all, but it would be a nice feature. 

As my clan members and I discussed this idea further, it led to us thinking about how since one of our clan members is from Japan, and most of us are in the US or Canada, while the member from Japan is very active with us, and is on TeamSpeak, he never wants to host Void Missions with us, despite having the keys. Having him be lag-free at the cost of three other participants isn't a trade he wants to take, especially when some of us have good enough connections where his lag when we host isn't too terrible. A feature where once you are in a lobby, you can swap the host manually would be spectacular. Basically, it would do the Host Migration (similar to when the host disconnects or leaves) before the mission is even fired, and everything would go smoothly from there with the new host, but still using the member who initially started the lobby's key.

You may be thinking: but what about the setting that was added to allow yourself to limit the ping difference between you and games you join? 

To this I say a few things: First and foremost, from what we can tell, it checks at the time of the queue - which leads to quite a few seconds of it 'thinking' only to spit you out of the queue because the ping didn't fit, or the session was full and it didn't pick up on it until after you clicked, things like that. Also, during times with fewer players (based on time zones for example), getting a game with lower ping is much easier for players at a high-peak time in their time zone, than compared to other times. So expanding the ping requirement would help a little with that, but it would also bring about the lag again. Where as if I could queue as a host, I could queue, and I'd care less about the ping of joining players, because as was the case in my game, i'd be fine even if someone was lagging.

TL;DR;

A feature to launch a mission with yourself the host - as well as a feature where you can transfer hosts from a pre-made Lobby, would be awesome.