Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Get A Room, Not A Menu

RaianStar

What if, instead of having the out of game menu, you had you're own, locally hosted living quarters [1] i.e. your very own space ship.  This space would initially have two sections, a central room with the star map (that you walk up to and activate (so yeah... a menu...), a section that leads on to your clan (teleport or whatever), a console that access's the market and another one for the foundry.  The second room would feature your armory.  Here you could see your assortment of weapons, warframes and sentinels.  Now whenever you buy extra weapon or frame slots, you physically expand your armory.

You could spend credits and resources upgrading your own space with different weapon stands and various decorative pieces.  [2] This would be done in a similar manor to your clan dojo.  

[3] Provided you had the docking ports in your clan, you could dock your portable home to your clan.  Someone of sufficient rank could even be granted their own parking space.  This would also mean that accessing your clan dojo feels much more like a step down the hall as opposed to another location available to you.  [4] In preparation for inter-clan relations, it could be possible to dock your home to someone else's clan and so that you can pop by for a visit (or whatever shiny reason that DE can come up with).  

These suggestions would also allow you to feel more attached to your avatar.  You would feel like there is something personal and consistent to come home to after every mission, and that you are part of a consistent, physical world.

[Edit 1, 2, 3, 4] Thanks to whitejackale

Edited by RaianStar

Thats actually a really cool idea. But I guess it would only work for people in a clan. I wouldnt mind a UI change though for people in a clan. Like maybe we have a starmap room in our dojo somewhere like you suggested that you're sitting around searching the planets for alerts and what not.

Personally Id like the ability to put my weapons on display somewhere so people can compare mods and stuff.

I had this idea for a while aswell, but never got around to posting it.

Because you know, where the hell are the tenno storeing their weapons and warframes?

Or maybe if you had these features in a dojo room, kinda G-Mod Tower esque?

All stuff to ponder to add a little more depth into the game allowing people to rearrange things and display weapons and trophys that they aquire.

Am I the only one who thinks having to run to the foundry and back every time would be a pain in the &#!?

Nope, you're not the only one, I feel the same way, mostly because after playing a few games with a similar idea, running around is just annoying and bothersome.

Thats actually a really cool idea. But I guess it would only work for people in a clan. I wouldnt mind a UI change though for people in a clan. Like maybe we have a starmap room in our dojo somewhere like you suggested that you're sitting around searching the planets for alerts and what not.

Personally Id like the ability to put my weapons on display somewhere so people can compare mods and stuff.

Thank you :)  You wouldn't actually need to be in a clan, it would just have a handy doorway/portal to your clan.  

The idea is really great but just imagine how much space would take all the rooms for each player. 

Thank you too :) Well as it would all be user hosted, it could be done with a very small database file per user.  User has xyz in locations abc.  All of the processing would be done by the user.  I would imagine that it wouldn't really be fetching much more data than it currently does when you access you stuff from the menu.  

• 3 weeks later...

Would actually love to see this happen. Hell, could even be used as a live-lobby to see who's playing with you and interact with them prior to the start of the mission. Alot better than just having a chatbox along with everyone sitting in a semi-circle in random space around the system.

This would make navigating the elements of the game a chore.

Just because the current UI blows doesn't mean we should have to actually walk everywhere with our avatar.

I am against this, after the first 4 times where the novelty wears off this will get extremely annoying.

This would make navigating the elements of the game a chore.

Just because the current UI blows doesn't mean we should have to actually walk everywhere with our avatar.

I am against this, after the first 4 times where the novelty wears off this will get extremely annoying.

Hmm... This seems to be a recurring opinion.  Can anyone think of any ways to make it more a palatable idea?

Having menu's as an alternative would work but it would downgrade the importance of having the physical space.  Tenno having an in helmet menu that you could access from anywhere would be cool.  A press start to bypass your house kind of thing.

Maybe having an overview menu that you can access from anywhere that's 'out of mission'.  From here you can access everything but the room features (decoration, colour scheme etc.).  The room would act as an alternative to the menu's as well as giving a player her/his own space to customise.  I think it would definitely help with immersion.  It would also give you more reason to visit the dojo.  Having physical way to access the dojo would make players feel more connected to it.

[EDIT] The consoles that you can access from your home would use the same interfaces that the overview screen would so that you don't have to learn new layouts and the devs don't have to do things twice.

Edited by RaianStar

I really like this idea, but here are some features that I would like to be added to something like this.

1) This area should be our own space ship.

2) We should be able to customize it in a similar way to dojo customization.

3) We should be able to dock with our clan dojo.

4) We should be able to dock with other clan dojos.

I really like the idea of having to be in this are for all kinds of different activities, especially if it were possible to dock with our clan dojo. This would make the world feel a bit more persistent.

I really like this idea, but here are some features that I would like to be added to something like this.

1) This area should be our own space ship.

2) We should be able to customize it in a similar way to dojo customization.

3) We should be able to dock with our clan dojo.

4) We should be able to dock with other clan dojos.

I really like the idea of having to be in this are for all kinds of different activities, especially if it were possible to dock with our clan dojo. This would make the world feel a bit more persistent.

You sir are a genius.  I shall update the original post!

A docking station would be a great thing to add to a dojo.  You could even set docking privileges so that warlords and generals (or whatever) can have their own private parking lol.