Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Mode: A Simple Suggestion That Could Make A Big Difference

Crucias

Tell players what specific modes will be active before they start the mission.  This isn't a new idea, and undoubtedly it's something the devs have considered, so the intent of this post is to lay out a short argument rather than bring to light anything particularly new.

It's my understanding that the goal of nightmare mode is to give experienced players a challenging way to earn useful rewards.  With that premise in mind, knowledge of the mission prior to entering would have several benefits:

1. Experienced players would be able to use game knowledge more effectively by collaborating and deciding what kind of squad they want to form.  Warframe encourages the collection of many different frames and weapons, but rarely do players need to selectively choose equipment--high level defense is pretty much the only time when it's necessary. Nightmare mode presents an excellent platform for players to use specific frames and weapons for specific reasons, but it's difficult to do this if we don't know what the challenge is.

2. Since players would be able to maximize their squad for the specific mission, the general difficulty level of the missions could be increased even more.

3. Underused frames would have the opportunity to shine.  For example, Loki is probably only played in nightmare by hardcore Loki fans, but if players knew ahead of time that the mission would be timed and without a minimap, Loki could be extremely useful as a scout.

4. Players would have more control, and echoing Steve from a few livestreams ago, this would lead to a more enjoyable player experience.  Failing a mission due to a lack of player skill is much less frustrating than failing a mission where the squad didn't have a fighting chance to begin with.

Edited by Crucias

This is already being planned, afaik.

Can you recall where you saw this?  It has been my impression that so far the mentaility regarding nightmare mode is that players should be ready for anything.

Edited by Crucias

As much as I like the idea, there's something about jumping into the darkness of a nightmare mission.

You never know what is going to happen in there, and your real skill and ability to adapt is what pulls you through, as opposed to your specific preparation.

After all, anyone can bring a trinity to vampire mode.

I personally would like this to be expanded on with the addition of more mutators.

I think however, the lack of a minimap should be adressed, it is not fair to have a map where you can get lost and potentially spend hours trying to find the objectives... perhaps no minimap but then please replease with an objectives icon.... similar to the waypoints but with objective written under or something, i dont like spending ages doing nothing but running through a level to try and find out what im suposed to do

in a live stream they said they wont be random, enter the mission once find out, leave/die

and respec to what u think u need, the mission will be the same debuffs reguardless how many time u enter so u can plan it.

Or... they could tell us before we go in?