The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Burston Vs Latron

Sparda013

Question

Exactly as title says, I know alot of ppl swear by latron and some ppl think the Burston is crap, I want to know why.  I have used both at lvl 30 with decent mods although not maxed, and I still cant decide which on is better overall.

I would like to hear your opinions for both of them.

13 answers to this question

Both are viable with the right mods, decide what's best based on your playstyle.

Statistically, IIRC, Burston does less DPS than Latron because it's burst-fire and so the delay between shots (on average) is bigger. Also, it's hard to nail crit spots (head, basically) with all 3 shots of the Burston, while it's much easier to keep aim with the Latron, which does higher damage per bullet as well.

That said, I enjoyed both of them a lot, but Latron Prime blows both away if you're willing to farm it.

Despite the damage and fire rate buff Burston is still not as viable as Latron. The DPS is lower if you aren't used to burst weapons and a subtly smaller recoil is needed for it to be viable. However you should try it as it is still a very interesting and fun weapon.

Currently the Latron is my weapon of choice for a primary weapon, but before that it was the Burston, recoil and aim isnt an issue for me with either, but is the Burstons damage for the entire burst or for each bullet in the burst?

Currently the Latron is my weapon of choice for a primary weapon, but before that it was the Burston, recoil and aim isnt an issue for me with either, but is the Burstons damage for the entire burst or for each bullet in the burst?

damage is per bullet IIRC.

I went Mk1->Burston->Latron->lots of other guns for mastery->Latron Prime/Ogris, so...

damage is per bullet IIRC.

I went Mk1->Burston->Latron->lots of other guns for mastery->Latron Prime/Ogris, so...

So then the Burston is more than twice as damaging as the Latron?  Thats like 99 Damage compared to the Latrons 42.  Wouldnt the Burston deal more damage with max mods, not to mention since the Latrons reload is horrific, I have to save a slot for Fast Hands, but on the Burston I dont need it.

What would you recommend for higher level missions and stuff like T3 void missions, between the Burston and Latron that is.

Also, on an unrelated note, my forum badge is a Hunter badge, but Im a Master, isnt it supposed to change?

Edited by Sparda013

So then the Burston is more than twice as damaging as the Latron?  Thats like 99 Damage compared to the Latrons 42.  Wouldnt the Burston deal more damage with max mods, not to mention since the Latrons reload is horrific, I have to save a slot for Fast Hands, but on the Burston I dont need it.

What would you recommend for higher level missions and stuff like T3 void missions, between the Burston and Latron that is.

Also, on an unrelated note, my forum badge is a Hunter badge, but Im a Master, isnt it supposed to change?

Like whats been said already, it all depends on your playstyle. Some weapons may have better stats than others, but really, it all comes down to which weapon (or Frame) is best suited for you. If you find that being able to practically one-shot most things with the Latron, or have bursts with the Burston, is better suited for you, go with that.

As for your founders badge, it may require you to re-log on the forums for it to update.

Well, no. You have to take things like resistances and criticals into account, as well. From my experience (see if it matches yours), at most one shot of the Burston will hit a weak spot (e.g. Grineer head), and then you have to readjust because of the recoil and low trigger speed, causing a delay until the next shot, especially on a moving target. In that time, the Latron can land probably 2-4 shots on a weak spot (it has a lot less recoil), which will do more damage. I always use Fast Hands/Speed trigger anyways, so that wasn't a problem for me.

TBH, I'd say Latron Prime is better than either Burston or Latron (obviously the latter), but since you need to run T3s to get it that's not quite viable.

Edit: Out of curiosity, what mods do you use? I can't compare, since I sold both when I was short of credits and Latron Prime has extra polarities and I've forma'd it, but it would be nice to know as a reference.

Edited by theasl

Well, currently Im using my Latron with Serration, Metal Auger (I dont care about high cost its TOTALLY WORTH IT), Wildfire, Hellfire, Piercing Hit, Point Strike, Vital Sense, and Fast Hands.

When Im using it, my Burston is equipped with the same thing but without Fast Hands, Im not sure what to put in there, maybe a Shock mod or Barrel Diffusion.

Well, currently Im using my Latron with Serration, Metal Auger (I dont care about high cost its TOTALLY WORTH IT), Wildfire, Hellfire, Piercing Hit, Point Strike, Vital Sense, and Fast Hands.

When Im using it, my Burston is equipped with the same thing but without Fast Hands, Im not sure what to put in there, maybe a Shock mod or Barrel Diffusion.

Hrm, probably better than my typical setup of Serration, Split Barrel, both ammo mods, and all elemental damage mods. I should try out Metal Auger sometime, i have one but it's not maxxed, so with my last forma it should fit.

One thing I forgot to mention, burst-fire can waste ammo, since if it only takes one shot to kill something you'll use up 2 more. Although, that isn't really a problem as both weapons rarely use up that much ammo.

In the end, though, your choice! 

Hrm, probably better than my typical setup of Serration, Split Barrel, both ammo mods, and all elemental damage mods. I should try out Metal Auger sometime, i have one but it's not maxxed, so with my last forma it should fit.

One thing I forgot to mention, burst-fire can waste ammo, since if it only takes one shot to kill something you'll use up 2 more. Although, that isn't really a problem as both weapons rarely use up that much ammo.

In the end, though, your choice! 

Yeah, Ive noticed that with the Burston alot, especially since I dont use any ammo mods, lol.  With a maxed Energy Siphon on my Ash (my main) I supplement my gunfire with Shurikens, it works pretty well. 

Metal Auger is expensive but totally worth it, especially in defense missions, the enemies just line up and you can shoot through about 5 or 6 of them, and with any elemental mods, Im noticing that the effects travel through.  I can confidently use my Latron in Infested defense missions and catch 5 or 6 Infested on fire with each bullet, lol.  It sucks to make space for and level up, but IMO, Metal Auger is a must, especially for a semi-auto, make that bullet count.

Respectfully disagree, I absolutely love the Burston (after comparing it for a while with Latron). The technique is just to drag your mouse down while you fire; more for close range, less for further. It's subtle. But once you get it, you can land triple-headshots on anything out to the end of mid-range.

If you can't manage the Burston, Latron's gotta be better. Latron's also a lot more ammo-efficient; it's possible to run out with the Burston.

But damage-wise, a well-managed Burston edges out a well-managed Latron.

Also worth noting the technique is very different for the two; Latron requires no dragging whatsoever, in fact, no adjustment for recoil at all. Just line up the shot and click repeatedly. It's weird making the switch.

On this subject, I also just found out that the Latron appears to be silent. You can stealth missions with it pretty easily by dispatching one enemy at a time with multiple headshots from a distance. I think that's why the sound effect on it is so dinky.