Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just A Humble Opinion About Stealth And Ways To Improve It.

Ranadaine

So. If you're not playing for like one day, you probably know how broken and inefficient the current stealth mechanic is. You just can't be stealthy anywhere except for the lowest-leveled planets, it makes no sense. Really, I suppose that "space ninja" concept should favor stealthier gameplay instead of direct confrontation with the whole enemy base. Or, at least, give player a chance to use creativity and stealth, not only run'n'gun skills and superior mods.

I think that stealth can be made viable with just 2 changes, which are really not so hard to implement.

1. Stealth melee (those sweet animations with prompt) should always kill. No matter what health, shield and armor enemy has. Or not always kill(so you won't be able kill a high-level ancient with Skana), but inflict a really high damage.

2. There should be an additional multiplier for hits (both melee and ranged) on an unalerted enemy (probably, only when hit from behind and sides). And that multiplier must be significant; IMO it should be high enough to one-hit any level basic enemies (lancer-crewman-walker/leaper/crawler) with moderate to high mods, while still forcing you to sneak in for melee kills on tougher ones.

2.1. Probably, adding some kind of "silencer" mod will also help to adapt various weapons to stealthier (while not completely stealthy) gameplay.

In my opinion, it will help to improve the game in a lot of ways, while not taking anything away. Let me explain.

1. This changes fit well in the whole "space ninja" concept.

2. This changes will not remove or lower the player's capability of shooting everyone's heads off in any way.

3. This changes will make stealth a really viable option on par with the previous one, while not making it OP. You still need to take line of sight and enemies' routes into account, don't allow anyone to see the corpses and plan a lot while moving from tile to tile (you are still extremely exposed while moving through doors). It will add another layer of challenge for end-game content also, because stealth gameplay in random levels is much more interesting than a simple aim and shoot in the same conditions. With further improvements to AI it will become even more interesting.

4. This changes will give to frames like Ash, Loki and Banshee (and, probably, Nyx) their long-awaited niche as quite stealthy and agile frames that are able to complete a mission without breaking in guns blazing. It is possible now, but only on low-leveled enemies.

5. This changes will make Dread and Paris usable in end-game, not just a sweet-looking toys for low-level content.

Are there any flaws in my logic? Comment please.

1. Stealth melee (those sweet animations with prompt) should always kill. No matter what health, shield and armor enemy has. Or not always kill(so you won't be able kill a high-level ancient with Skana), but inflict a really high damage.

This would be great . I used to be stealthy but that was only on low lvls bcuz on higher you just can't stealth kill them !

What else they should add to make stealth better .

1.Wallrun stealth kils

2.If 2 enemys are close 2 each other you could kill them both with 1 stealth kill if you have some kind of dual versions of weapons like Dual Heat Dagger and others.

3.Slide stealth kills would be awesome :D

4.Like jumping from above and pressing the stealth kill key at the right moment to kill them.

Well yeah those are just my ideas .....

1. no

2. reworking the numbers might be a good idea honestly, even if only a little

2.1. a silencer would be a neat thing to add, so long as it adds some negative effect to counter the stealth you get from it.

having a stealth melee insta-gib anything is a bad idea. would make loki, ash and anyone with a shade too powerful. just cloak into a crowd and hack away till nothing is left then move to next room.

Edited by alchemistjkt

stuff

hmm... seems i found a bug lol. not letting me edit my message after it cut off the rest of what i was saying. now watch it be fixed soon as i hit post lol.

anyway

the current stealth melee system does high dmg to high level mobs with the right mods, so no change there (with regards to your first suggestion).

1. no

2. reworking the numbers might be a good idea honestly, even if only a little

2.1. a silencer would be a neat thing to add, so long as it adds some negative effect to counter the stealth you get from it.

having a stealth melee insta-gib anything is a bad idea. would make loki, ash and anyone with a shade too powerful. just cloak into a crowd and hack away till nothing is left then move to next room.

Let me disagree. You will not be able to do things like that. You lose the invisibility after the first strike and it can be tricky to make it so no one sees you while you are executing that poor bastard and that no one sees his corpse until it disappears.

If you are talking about skills of Loki and Ash, I agree and suggest that in that case it should be nerfed to wear off at first strike/shot, while still having an advantage of not being close to enemy to remain cloaked.

And what combination of mods allows you to kill ancients of 50+ level with stealth attack?

Edited by Ranadaine

The stealth kill really needs a fix. As it is it's the worst thing you could possibly do while trying to sneak around. It's a long animation where you don't move and can't cancel that is otherwise functionally identical to a charge attack. As it is it's only ever a bad move. It looks cool, sure, but it's the least stealthy move in the game. I feel that it needs to not make you stand out in the open for any period of time to be a good move. As it is, using any other attack is better at keeping you concealed.

The problem isn't the damage in my opinion, it's the fact that the alarm tends to get triggered by guys who spotted you during the crazy long animation, that's a pretty big black mark for this "stealth kill"