Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Event Ending Early: Operation Sling-Stone

Malaheart

First off I would like to say I enjoyed the event and think DE got a lot right. It was not a total farm fest, preparation was rewarded, It was hard and it felt pretty epic. BUT one thing that really bothers me is that the event ended about 13 hours early.

When I managed to get home from work Sunday I was only able to run about 2 missions before the event had ended. I've been at work all weekend and was counting on Sunday evening to get myself up to the 250 mark, but the closest I managed to get was 210 points. It would have been OK if we had been given heads up that the event was not time dependent (I would have been up at 5 in the morning EST farming) but instead event dependent, but no the closest we managed to get was: 

"Be vigilant, Tenno! You have until July 29th to complete your mission."

The quote was from the original Operation sling-stone announcement post. As a matter of fact the in game story message that was shown when you clicked on the ships specifically said more ships will be arriving and be repaired.

So now instead of feeling as great about the super awesome event DE managed to put together I feel just a little bit ripped off. And now all I'm asking for is a little bit more communication when it comes to these events. I'm not yelling "HEY DE EXTEND THIS EVENT SO I CAN FINISH IT I WANT MY MODS!" no I just want again, more communication for future events. We need to know the nitty gritty about the victory condition so we can properly plan for how we can best participate. Some of us have responsibility during the weekend, I know we may be the minority but please just don't forget about us.

Thank you for reading, If you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to post below.

Thank you Digital extremes, you are making a fun game and this event was still awesome, Keep up the good work.

Edit: I'm not accusing them of ending the event early, I'm just saying that they were not clear with how or when the event would end.

Edit 2: Djbazzsta brought up a good point I though worth editing in. We can't forget about those who are in other regions, with 13 hour dead zone in the event some of them lost a good bit of prime time to gain points in. Thought it was worth sharing.

Edit 3: Fixed typo in edit 2.

Edited by Malaheart

I agree, the ending time could be interpreted in different ways and many people expected to be able to get points up until the very end. With 4 or so hours left it looks like I will be stuck on 229 points since I doubt They will add more ships now.

I couldn't participate at all cuz I was away from home, dealing with family birthdays all weekend, 0 points atm, hoping one of those ships repairs before it's all over, and I can at least get one run in...

Agree with the initial poster, I checked sunday night and monday morning and there is nothing to kill. On the previous events you could fight till the end on this one I was online the moment the event started and had to deal with ships going away when I was in prime time mode.

Thinking the same. If a event is announced to last to the 29th 18.00 (GMT+1) everyone should have the chance to get his 250 points until the last second. Maybe let one fomorian live which already counts as defeated and announce it with a message like this as description:

"One fomorian ship still floats helpless in space. If you wish, you can continue your mission to make it unmistakably clear that the Tenno wont be deedless if another galatic war is about to arise."

Something like this could be a compromise for everyone who had not the time yet to participate at this event.

Edited by TotallyNotCorpseshock

I don't want them to add more ships

It's timed, the ships have been coming back some time after they were destroyed.

In case that was in response to me, I'm not complaining that I want an extension to the event, I'm just hoping for a little bad luck.

They didn't end it we did ! We destroyed them DE didn't destroy them WE DID !

Yes, but lower level fomorians showed up first which means none of the beginners never had a chance of getting the points if they didnt sit by computer all weekend and after that we got no warning that the event could end earlier. 

I think what the OP is asking for is completely reasonable, which is more info on event win conditions like tell us if we can end it early or if its the whole time period stated.

It's timed, the ships have been coming back some time after they were destroyed.

In case that was in response to me, I'm not complaining that I want an extension to the event, I'm just hoping for a little bad luck.

I'm not trying to call you out, I just want to make it clear that I do not want a "Do over". But even if it was timed it would be silly to add a ship now in the last hours when a substantial amount of the player base are busy with work/school/sleeping. I really doubt we could take it down in time and the lash back would be loud.

First I'd like to say: Bad that you didn't make it, but that's about it.

How often are you getting informed about an incoming onslought from your enemy? At least I haven't experienced the russian telling the US-boys "hey, watchout, we're setting sails towards you".

We got some information, but not all. May also learn this for future events :)

First off I would like to say I enjoyed the event and think DE got a lot right. It was not a total farm fest, preparation was rewarded, It was hard and it felt pretty epic. BUT one thing that really bothers me is that the event ended about 13 hours early.

That is to prove that we are the ones that accomplish stuff and that it's not DE that makes the bars progress faster :P

I really doubt we could take it down in time and the lash back would be loud.

I actually think we as a community need a spectacular failure under our belts, to cut down on some of the talk trying to convince other players that the progress bars aren't related to our efforts.

This event was perfect compared to the previous one. They gave us a task, and we did it within the time frame. So what if we finished it earlier? In fact, the whole point of this event was to get it done ASAP.  If we did not finish the task before the closed time we would have been penalized.

Maybe they guys that's now complaining did not understand the event?

I actually think we as a community need a spectacular failure under our belts, to cut down on some of the talk trying to convince other players that the progress bars aren't related to our efforts.

Adding a ship at the last minute when the majority of the community is busy would not be actual failure, it would be programmed failure and that is a malicious way to run a game. If your community failed the event when the majority of those who play are contributing that means you have failed as a game designer. The penalty is supposed to be a rally cry to mobilize the player base to the event, helping ensure success. Not to knock them down a peg, hoping to quiet down the forums.

This event was perfect compared to the previous one. They gave us a task, and we did it within the time frame. So what if we finished it earlier? In fact, the whole point of this event was to get it done ASAP.  If we did not finish the task before the closed time we would have been penalized.

The event was excellent in many ways and I truly enjoyed it, I even said so at the beginning of my post. But that does not mean that there are not things that need fixing. All I want is concentration for those who don't have normal scheduled on the weekends and had planned on using those last 13 hours to complete the event. If it was made clear that those last 13 hours may not be available I would have made time somewhere else but no.

As I said in my post all I want is more information for future events.

First I'd like to say: Bad that you didn't make it, but that's about it.

How often are you getting informed about an incoming onslought from your enemy? At least I haven't experienced the russian telling the US-boys "hey, watchout, we're setting sails towards you".

We got some information, but not all. May also learn this for future events :)

I appreciate your sympathy. But though it may be an assault in game, in real life I still have to work and in turn need more information so that I can contribute.

Thanks for posting, you are all bring up good points.

Edit: Removed "guys" from final line and replaced it with "You are all".

Edited by Malaheart

Maybe you understood it wrong yourself because:

Be vigilant, Tenno! You have until July 29th to complete your mission.  

I got around 600 points. So no need to worry. But i understand everyone who is pissed now because he thought he had some time left.

Also i would like to point out that the timer still shows that there are 2 hours left until the event ends.

I agree with the OP. All you guys have valid arguments about enemy intel and the size of the attacking enemy force being finite. But stop and think about other regions and rest of the world for a minute. Is it fair that some regions who were maybe asleep or working during the prime gaming times of other regions are penalized just because of geographics and could not take part as much or gain all 5 mods?

I think that the planets should have rejuvenated and recycled, and DE should have monitored it. i.e. they know how long it took for the community to gain victory over Mercury, Mars etc the first time round and they could have added 2nd rounds of Fomorian ships attacking these planets again, up until maybe an hour before the end of the event deadline. That way we all could get a good chance at the event. Also, the consequences of the halved drops of one unsuccessful planet wouldn't have been catastrophic and would have forced us all to adjust our farming regions (and the wiki) slightly which may have been fun.

Secondly, I spent alot of the weekend farming corruptors and now I have 25 that I cannot use because the event is over prematurely. PLEASE DE, if nothing else, can you incoporate the corruptors into standard Grineer Sabotage missions? Or add new planets with the new game type maybe calling it "Sabotage Defense". Maybe even making it that putting only a stable corruptor in will give 15 waves to defend, putting alpha and beta will give 10 waves to defend and putting a stable, beta and alpha combo giving only 5 waves to defend?

This will mean that gaining corruptors will be beneficial, in that these new Sabotage Defense missions will be easier or harder etc based on effectiveness of your farming. That way we get a new fun game mechanic and a use for the collected resources.

Adding a ship at the last minute when the majority of the community is busy would not be actual failure, it would be programmed failure and that is a malicious way to run a game. If your community failed the event when the majority of those who play are contributing that means you have failed as a game designer. The penalty is supposed to be a rally cry to mobilize the player base to the event, helping ensure success. Not to knock them down a peg, hoping to quiet down the forums.

I don't mean they should add a ship just to see us fail...

In fact this event is well past what I would consider failure, if one planet got it's resource drops cut for a couple weeks...what? We'd got to another planet which offers what we want, and even if at this point ships can still regenerate, it would likely only be one, so we would easily have alternatives.

And to anyone who was paying attention, Referring to djbazzsta's post mostly here, the ships were regenerating naturally; as in X hours after ship A was successfully destroyed, ship A reappears at 100% health.

The corruptors are likely going to disappear after the event is over, providing there are no future plans for them.

Edit: Except for Neural Sensors, the only resource with a single planet of distribution

Edited by LoQui

I feel that when the event finished they should have unlocked all the ships for people to maximize their points. Similar to how they left the informers for the last 2 hours of that event. The event would be complete so there would be no chance of loosing resources coz quite frankly we rocked it. But the ships should have come back to allow others to get the most mods they can. 

I agree with op in that a little bit of communnication would help considering all that we got was one page about it that didn't have many in game information, in fact i had a hard time finding where to find out how many points i had. But the notion of adding ships till the very end would be silly becuase it would be a guaranteed failure, so it was more assumed that it would only last till we killed the last ship.

I agree with the OP. All you guys have valid arguments about enemy intel and the size of the attacking enemy force being finite. But stop and think about other regions and rest of the world for a minute. Is it fair that some regions who were maybe asleep or working during the prime gaming times of other regions are penalized just because of geographics and could not take part as much or gain all 5 mods?

I think that the planets should have rejuvenated and recycled, and DE should have monitored it. i.e. they know how long it took for the community to gain victory over Mercury, Mars etc the first time round and they could have added 2nd rounds of Fomorian ships attacking these planets again, up until maybe an hour before the end of the event deadline. That way we all could get a good chance at the event. Also, the consequences of the halved drops of one unsuccessful planet wouldn't have been catastrophic and would have forced us all to adjust our farming regions (and the wiki) slightly which may have been fun.

Secondly, I spent alot of the weekend farming corruptors and now I have 25 that I cannot use because the event is over prematurely. PLEASE DE, if nothing else, can you incoporate the corruptors into standard Grineer Sabotage missions? Or add new planets with the new game type maybe calling it "Sabotage Defense". Maybe even making it that putting only a stable corruptor in will give 15 waves to defend, putting alpha and beta will give 10 waves to defend and putting a stable, beta and alpha combo giving only 5 waves to defend?

This will mean that gaining corruptors will be beneficial, in that these new Sabotage Defense missions will be easier or harder etc based on effectiveness of your farming. That way we get a new fun game mechanic and a use for the collected resources.

I had not even concerted those in other regions. I'll edit my OP to add something in about them. Good reply djbazzsta and thank you for adding your voice to this thread. Can't forget our non-americas Warframe brothers!

To your second point If they were going to make these ship raids in to a mission type I would like it as a 24 hour random alert that always gives ? loot if the ship is downed. Again just an idea and you may want to pursue it in another thread. I think it would be worth doing.

I was expecting them to allow for credit after all ships were down, you know like EVERY OTHER EVENT they have hosted. Instead I arrive home expecting 5 hours of fun event and find I don't get to participate at all.