Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

User Hosted Dedicated Servers

iamSippyCup

DE, everyone,

I am currently ripping my face off because I haven't had a good host for a game in the last 2 days. I am not a good host either, my internet is @(*()$ S#&$, which is why I tend to have to rely on others.

What I'm most irritated by is the fact that I have a powerful server that I currently only utilise as a webserver. Would it really be so hard to create a server package that allows people to load up and run missions on the server so that everyone can benefit from a great connection, rather than have to rely on the often crappy connections of home users?

I'm not asking for fully dedicated servers that allow everyone to play missions on them, I just want to have the ability to host my games from a gameserver(possibly with the option of opening it up to the public, cfg could contain a max sessions var?), rather than from this crappy internet connection I have here. I can't see it being that hard and I know it would definitely be used, I can run one or two, depending on how they were made, my clanmates have servers that could run software like this as well. 

So, I'd personally @(*()$ love this, but I'd like to know thoughts from everyone else? :)

Would it really be so hard to create a server package that allows people to load up and run missions on the server so that everyone can benefit from a great connection, rather than have to rely on the often crappy connections of home users?

It's DE. Regardless of how hard it is, they'd botch it.

And they already said it was too hard and that the game now really wasn't made for this, even though they used to want to give us that possibility when they started working on the game.

It's DE. Regardless of how hard it is, they'd botch it.

And they already said it was too hard and that the game now really wasn't made for this, even though they used to want to give us that possibility when they started working on the game.

I do not understand why something like that would be so difficult. >.>

There is no need for dedicated servers with only 4 players playing coop game.

I'm not sure but I think this is how it works:

This game's multiplayer is peer2peer which means each player's computer sends information what player is doing and has done. Host PC only acts like a "node" or a " channel" for a group of PCs.

Maybe they could make it that host acts as a "dedicated server" + play = maning = Host's PC aka "dedicated server" would be "master" deciding what's going on and what's not.

Edited by Strac_CRO

There is no need for dedicated servers with only 4 players playing coop game.

I'm not sure but I think this is how it works:

This game's multiplayer is peer2peer which means each player's computer sends information what player is doing and has done. Host PC only acts like a "node" or a " channel" for a group of PCs.

Maybe they could make it that host acts as a "dedicated server" + play = maning = Host's PC aka "dedicated server" would be "master" deciding what's going on and what's not.

You have a misconception of what a dedicated server is for. There is a need here, because most people who play this game lack the needed upload speeds, but my server has a 1gbit connection. That's about 500 times faster than my home connection.

You have a misconception of what a dedicated server is for. There is a need here, because most people who play this game lack the needed upload speeds, but my server has a 1gbit connection. That's about 500 times faster than my home connection.

what's a dedicated server for?

do you know how many data is send (per second by each PC) during the 4 players coop in WARFRAME ?

you can install leatrix latency fix http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

btw.

this thread should be moved into Performance Bugs https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/forum/72-performance-bugs/

Edited by Strac_CRO

do you know how many data is send (per second by each PC) during the 4 players coop in WARFRAME ?

A dedicated server means you don't need P2P. You can choose a server for parties of 2 or more, then you connect to it, choose a mission and go. The mission is loaded on the server and players are connected to a server that has a capable upload speed, rather than one player uploading all data to 3 other players. My internet can't handle that, as is the same with many others.

I don't know an exact number, but why do I need one? If so many people lag when hosting, it's clearly more than the average upload speed can handle. 

i think there have a lot of stuff. Anything player can collide, move, taken dame, lost hp, mana, container and some of it repeat sending like player position or credit card, red, blue sphere, ammo...when you open or break a container and maybe a dead body....etc

And i suggest remove flying sphere and ammo, credit card just make it buried on the ground  where the enemy had dead or break container, there no need to make it fly with gravity well calculate.

i agree, there should have a server.

-latency fairer for other player.

-resolved host is a "wooden PC" or low bandwidth connection.

-anti cheat better.

Important to note that I don't mean that DE should host the dedicated servers. As they have already provided P2P, I think it's reasonable, due to the game being free, that they ask players to host the dedis, which I'd be totally fine with. You won't NEED to use a dedi to play, but if you have one, it can make things easier.

There are many legitimate reasons why giving us the option to host might be difficult.

For example, the hosting code might have been written with a certain hardware specs in mind - specs most probably not available fior most provate servers. It might be hard - and definietly laborous - to refactor the code in this case.

Why would they write the code like that in the first place?

Time and money would prbably be the anwser.

That being said, I would be all for enabling players host their own game servers, but only independent from DE servers.

Edited by Sethrea

There are many legitimate reasons why giving us the option to host might be difficult.

For example, the hosting code might have been written with a certain hardware specs in mind - specs most probably not available fior most provate servers. It might be hard - and definietly laborous - to refactor the code in this case.

Why would they write the code like that in the first place?

Time and money would prbably be the anwser.

That being said, I would be all for enabling players host their own game servers, but only independent from DE servers.

I was gonna rage at you until the last sentence, that's exactly what I mean. The game's free, so I wouldn't ask for DE to host dedicated gameservers. It's not feasible for a company as small as DE to do so, but allowing players to host games from dedicated servers of their own would be a godsend and ultimately not that difficult.

Also, there is no refactoring that need be done. The P2P would need to stay so that players without access to a dedicated server would still be able to play the game. So they'd simply be adding functionality.

Edited by iamSippyCup

No you haven't, you've made a round-about comment about not having dedicated servers and given no particularly valid or reasonable points at all. So again, make a point, or stop posting.

Dedicated servers are expensive, for players and for DE.

Dedicated servers are used in multiplayer games with lot's of players = like in BFBC2 or BF3 with 32, 64 or more players.

Dedicated servers are expensive, for players and for DE.

Dedicated servers are used in multiplayer games with lot's of players = like in BFBC2 or BF3 with 32, 64 or more players.

Dedicated servers hosted by users, as I expressed in the topic title if you read it, cost DE nothing except the relatively short time to develop the server software. Servers do cost money, but for that reason I also suggest they don't remove P2P, so that connecting to a server is a luxury, not a necessity, another thing I said.

Dedicated servers are used for all kinds of things, not just for big games. Also, it could host more than one party. So for instance, if I set up a dedicated server for my clan, 5 different parties for instance could run missions at the same time. I also said that above, if you read.